Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about Hawkins' coaching?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you think about Hawkins' coaching?

    do you think that is going to be a major factor that will prevent us from ever being very successful with him as coach? right now, i'm thinking yes. he has too many assistants that are in over their heads such as helfrich being promoted to OC and other guys coming from the WAC. and he just makes almost mindnumbingly stupid decisions on an alarmingly consistent basis. and i don't see the talent being developed. it seems like our team has actually regressed in the last month.

  • #2
    Inconsistency has killed us and a couple of coaching calls blew games for us.. We aren't good enough to goof of plays and win ball games..

    Examples: yesterday! Up 21 at midfield and you go for it? Ugh yea, one of the rare times you punt the ball.

    K-State... Before half 4th down, ouch, they get the ball and march down and score..

    Coaching still a question, I think the Hawk Era has the next 2-3 years to prove themselves, so we'll see what happens..

    You have to admit though, this team is A LOT better than last years team, not saying much, but its improvement.
    fight u dwn the fied..cu must win.. fight fight fr Victoy..cu knows no defet! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shouler to shulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

    Comment


    • #3
      i wouldn't say A LOT better.... the offense hasn't gotten much better (they are only ranked like 10 spots higher than they were last year in production) and our defense has gotten noticeably worse... i have a feeling that will continue until collins is replaced as defensive coordinator.
      i see improvement, but it's not a dramatic improvement or anything

      Comment


      • #4
        It gets really conservative.

        However, I think with Travis Polk (A commit out of Arizona) and possibly Darrell Scott (Possibly, however I have read he IS coming and that his mom is looking for jobs out here) running in the backfield, on top of Sumler and Lockridge already being there our Running game should be epic with Miller and some of the other guys up front getting experience.

        Add an even more experienced Cody Hawkins, Josh Smith, Scotty Mcknight, and Kendrick Celestine in our throwing game our offense should be lethal.

        Jon Major should beef up our Defense (5 star linebacker, best prospect in the state), and then all of our experience they have already gotten....we should be a rather solid team next year.

        2-3 years from now when we start playing SEC teams i feel as though we will be able to compete with the best of them.

        The problem with most Buff fans is they expect immediate progress on the field, even Dan is learning since he came from BOISE STATE people. Its not like he was coaching in a big time school, hes getting his experience in too. The thing everyone needs to do is stand back, look at what weve done and how much we have progressed (Yes we have, ALOT. I have been to every home game this year and this is a VERY solid team in the making) and the pieces we are bringing in through recruiting.

        Calm down about Hawkins, going from 2-10 YES TWO AND TEN last year to 5-6 (FIVE AND SIX!) with our biggest win being over a Top 5 ranked Oklahoma. Its not like you're going to go from 2-10 to being a contender. Gotta start small and if i told any of you at the beginning of the year (or if someone told me) we would finish sub-.500 I would have been ECSTATIC. Most programs have to take baby steps to do something like that. But we took a leap with how much our young guys have contributed.

        Go Buffs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just look at our schedule next year.

          Sat, Aug 30 Colorado State at Denver

          Sat, Sep 06 EASTERN WASHINGTON BOULDER

          Sat, Sep 20 Florida State at Tallahassee, Fla.

          Sat, Sep 27 WEST VIRGINIA BOULDER

          Sat, Oct 04 *TEXAS BOULDER

          Sat, Oct 11 *Kansas at Lawrence, Kan.

          Sat, Oct 18 *KANSAS STATE BOULDER

          Sat, Oct 25 *Missouri at Columbia, Mo.

          Sat, Nov 01 *Texas A&M at College Station, Texas

          Sat, Nov 08 *IOWA STATE BOULDER

          Sat, Nov 15 *OKLAHOMA STATE BOULDER

          Fri, Nov 28 *Nebraska at Lincoln, Neb.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          Can you say Murderers row?
          --------------------------------------------------------
          Or how bout the NEXT year?

          Sat, Sep 05 Colorado State at Denver or Ft. Collins

          Sat, Sep 12 Miami, Ohio Oxford, Ohio

          Sat, Sep 19 WYOMING BOULDER

          Sat, Sep 26 West Virginia at Morgantown, W.Va.

          Sat, Oct 10 *Texas at Austin, Texas

          Sat, Oct 17 *KANSAS BOULDER

          Sat, Oct 24 *Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan.

          Sat, Oct 31 *MISSOURI BOULDER

          Sat, Nov 07 *TEXAS A&M BOULDER

          Sat, Nov 14 *Iowa State at Ames, Iowa

          Sat, Nov 21 *Oklahoma State at Stillwater, Okla.

          Fri, Nov 27 -
          Sat, Nov 28 *NEBRASKA (exact date TBA) BOULDER

          These next few years are going to test us. And I feel confident that we will finish OVER .500 next year. Quote me on it. Save it in a file. Do something. But I will stick by my word

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with Str8 about Jon Major. He should help there defense for many years, especially with the loss of Dizon next year. Also, Cunningham helps out the D-Line for many years to come. The recruiting is almost there, they just need to land the skill position player that will get their offense some excitement and some explosiveness, and then they will be close to contending in the top 15, top 25 and for a BCS bowl bid.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BVP View Post
              I agree with Str8 about Jon Major. He should help there defense for many years, especially with the loss of Dizon next year. Also, Cunningham helps out the D-Line for many years to come. The recruiting is almost there, they just need to land the skill position player that will get their offense some excitement and some explosiveness, and then they will be close to contending in the top 15, top 25 and for a BCS bowl bid.
              People are wondering why im so excited about this team. This is why. Colorado is the one school in the Big XII that continuously has a murderous schedule. We don't play many cup cake schools. This is going to be fun!

              Comment


              • #8
                have you heard anything about katoa? i heard a few weeks ago that his coach expected him to commit to the buffs THAT weekend. but that was when we lost and looked bad in the game. did we lose out on him?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                  have you heard anything about katoa? i heard a few weeks ago that his coach expected him to commit to the buffs THAT weekend. but that was when we lost and looked bad in the game. did we lose out on him?
                  Well, he is listed as a low interest level to Colorado right now according to scout.com

                  He was at the Kansas game, which we did OK in, we were the closest team so far this year to beating Kansas.

                  scout also has him listed in having High interest levels in Texas and Oklahoma.

                  Anyways, looking bad in a game where a player visits isnt exactly the end all be all of if they will commit or not. Scott was at the Mizzou game and he came away very impressed.

                  The visit is more for showing the campus, and how the team runs while on the sideline, sure a good outing can help but it isnt necessary to land someone

                  Katoa though, seems almost like a lost cause in my opinion....I think one reason is that he got a 17 on his ACT, (Not good enough to get into CU with a 3.2 GPA) and CU has very high standards for grades. Hell, I plan on going to CU and I have to go to a community college for a year to get my GPA up high enough (And i got a 24 on my ACT ). So really, I think he wont be a Buff next year.

                  If he doesnt want to come, sucks for him, cause this team is on the rise

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                    People are wondering why im so excited about this team. This is why. Colorado is the one school in the Big XII that continuously has a murderous schedule. We don't play many cup cake schools. This is going to be fun!
                    Im kind of excited to see how Colorado's best high school players do against the best of the best in college football, which they get to do when they go to CU.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For the most part, I agree with all of you.. Experience and Players... Come on, this team was capable of beating the #5 Oklahoma team.. thats not a bad team and a team that is probably going to play for the NATIONAL TITLE.. so yes, we can compete..

                      Besides the Missouri game, I'd say EVERY game, we've been in... ASU we had a great start, FSU had an abundance of opportunities.. KSU, KU, name it, we could of won of those games if we executed and had some players..

                      However, we can mark next year as a rebuilding year too.. Hugh is gone, but I really like Lockridge.. we need more WRs, hopefully Simas is available, Josh Smith could become a stud, just need more play makers..

                      And most importantly, Cody Hawkins.. the kid has talent, just needs more time because he can be a good college QB..
                      fight u dwn the fied..cu must win.. fight fight fr Victoy..cu knows no defet! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shouler to shulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by broncofan303 View Post
                        For the most part, I agree with all of you.. Experience and Players... Come on, this team was capable of beating the #5 Oklahoma team.. thats not a bad team and a team that is probably going to play for the NATIONAL TITLE.. so yes, we can compete..

                        Besides the Missouri game, I'd say EVERY game, we've been in... ASU we had a great start, FSU had an abundance of opportunities.. KSU, KU, name it, we could of won of those games if we executed and had some players..

                        However, we can mark next year as a rebuilding year too.. Hugh is gone, but I really like Lockridge.. we need more WRs, hopefully Simas is available, Josh Smith could become a stud, just need more play makers..

                        And most importantly, Cody Hawkins.. the kid has talent, just needs more time because he can be a good college QB..
                        Mizzou we were in too...the first 5 minutes

                        Next year I dont think will be much rebuilding.....we've got alot of talent at WR right now, and RB is probly the easiest position to transition to from High School to College. If we can manage to land Darrell Scott it would be HUGE!!!

                        As much as I hate saying it...our biggest question mark next year is Kicker

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am on the Smith bandwagon if all of you can't tell.

                          He will be our deep threat for the next few years. Scotty Mcknight can make plays and is a great short yardage guy.

                          Smith though, he can do it all. He can run the short route and make yards after the catch. He can run deep and out run most anybody!

                          Our TE's, as usual are great Riar is huge!

                          If we have a threat like Scott (God I can't post this link enough) at back field teams can't possibly leave the box un stacked. And if they stack it that leaves Smith in One on One coverage alot of the time. If only Julio Jones was still considering us!

                          If you don't stack the box with Scott in the backfield, he can make plays. If you do, Smith and every other reciever/tight end we have will make those plays.

                          Double edged sword....its basically saying "Here you go, choose your poison"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                            Mizzou we were in too...the first 5 minutes

                            Next year I dont think will be much rebuilding.....we've got alot of talent at WR right now, and RB is probly the easiest position to transition to from High School to College. If we can manage to land Darrell Scott it would be HUGE!!!

                            As much as I hate saying it...our biggest question mark next year is Kicker
                            nah dude. we got a really good kicker transfer from wyoming. he would have startd this year if he didn't need to take a year off. i heard he was outkicking eberhart in practices before the season and i have a friend from wyoming that said he was amazing as a freshman for them.
                            i'm pretty sure that how the team does in a game DOES matter to the recruit. i mean, katoa's coach said he was right about to sign before the kansas game and now he's listed as low interest? there's only one explanation for that.
                            on the bright side, i'm really surprised that we keep getting runningbacks committed when WE NEVER RUN THE BALL! who is recruiting these runningbacks anyway, hagan? our backfield should be ridiculously stacked next year. gates, scott, polk, lockridge. wow, can you think of any team besides usc that will have that kind of runningback depth and talent on paper?
                            and don't be so sure you won't get into CU right away. i got in.... with a 2.6 gpa

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                              nah dude. we got a really good kicker transfer from wyoming. he would have startd this year if he didn't need to take a year off. i heard he was outkicking eberhart in practices before the season and i have a friend from wyoming that said he was amazing as a freshman for them.
                              i'm pretty sure that how the team does in a game DOES matter to the recruit. i mean, katoa's coach said he was right about to sign before the kansas game and now he's listed as low interest? there's only one explanation for that.
                              on the bright side, i'm really surprised that we keep getting runningbacks committed when WE NEVER RUN THE BALL! who is recruiting these runningbacks anyway, hagan? our backfield should be ridiculously stacked next year. gates, scott, polk, lockridge. wow, can you think of any team besides usc that will have that kind of runningback depth and talent on paper?
                              and don't be so sure you won't get into CU right away. i got in.... with a 2.6 gpa
                              Yeah, well what did you get on your ACT?

                              I havent heard much about the Kicker so it you're right about him thats fantastic....


                              Well, really there is one difference between us and USC. We Have great running backs, but USC on average gets what? like 3 5 star backs every 2 years? I think Scott just really wants to play with his uncle in here in Boulder so he is willing to take the challenge.

                              And as far as recruiting Katoa is concerned....I really don't know...I mean Scott came to a bigger melt down in the Mizzou game than Katoa was at with Kansas....which Scott came away impressed with (Go figure) and maybe Katoa shyed away because of it..I don't know. Confuses me though because you'd think it'd be the other way around just because we played a hell of a game against Kansas IMO

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X