X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncofan303
    replied
    Originally posted by Gator Broncos View Post
    I will agree that the Big 12 is good this year, but it's kind of hard to argue too much in their favor when the conference champ got dimantled in their bowl game. Missouri, Kansas, and Texas had great seasons, and were able to win their bowl games pretty handedly, and the only real blowout was the OU game.

Compared with the SEC, Ark got blown out, and my beloved Gators lost by 6, but Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, and LSU all had quality wins, with the Kentucky (or Auburn, I forget which) game being the closest of the 5 (against half and FSU team, I realize). I think the SEC has a bit of an edge, and definitely a consistancy edge over the Big 12. Though if they keep playing as well as they have been, they should be able to get some better recruits and start playing lights out and compete for the NC on a regular basis.

BTW, are CU's recruiting restrictions over yet? I'd like to see them become a ranked team again. I went there for a semester before I joined the Army, then used my GI bill to go to UF.
    That, I cannot argue.. Kentucky was close with FSU really most of the game, and lets not forget Auburn squeaked out against Clemson.. but you're right consistency is the key and SEC will be close to #1 again next year, but Ive gotta give it to Big 12 this year..

Wow you've had quite a college career. After the whole giving recruits student discount prices for lunch (what a joke), we lost 2 scholarships but they're recruiting like crazy right now... Next years recruit should be one of the best, this year, I think we'll finish in the Top 25 with Darrell Scott coming ...

Leave a comment:

• Gator Broncos
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofan303 View Post
    Yes, the SEC IS usually at top 2 conference every year.. I've said it before but this year is really an exception... I think you have to put the Big 12 up at first.. I know everybody would accuse me of being a home which is true.. but look at it this way...

Missouri waxed the same Arkansas team that beat LSU.. Kansas really didn't have any problems with VT at all, the same "quality" win LSU fans were talking about them waxing... throw in Texas's quality win, CU hanging with Bama ( I know, not saying much), Tech, ignoring OUs Fiesta collapses, they're still a talented team I would line up against any SEC team this year .. That makes a darn good conference ..

Not saying this is the case every year.. last year SEC was #1, and next year I wouldn't be shock to see LSU, Florida, or Georgia on the top again and putting SEC at #1 once again..

I will agree that the Big 12 is good this year, but it's kind of hard to argue too much in their favor when the conference champ got dimantled in their bowl game. Missouri, Kansas, and Texas had great seasons, and were able to win their bowl games pretty handedly, and the only real blowout was the OU game.

Compared with the SEC, Ark got blown out, and my beloved Gators lost by 6, but Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, and LSU all had quality wins, with the Kentucky (or Auburn, I forget which) game being the closest of the 5 (against half and FSU team, I realize). I think the SEC has a bit of an edge, and definitely a consistancy edge over the Big 12. Though if they keep playing as well as they have been, they should be able to get some better recruits and start playing lights out and compete for the NC on a regular basis.

BTW, are CU's recruiting restrictions over yet? I'd like to see them become a ranked team again. I went there for a semester before I joined the Army, then used my GI bill to go to UF.

Leave a comment:

• broncofan303
    replied
    Yes, the SEC IS usually at top 2 conference every year.. I've said it before but this year is really an exception... I think you have to put the Big 12 up at first.. I know everybody would accuse me of being a home which is true.. but look at it this way...

Missouri waxed the same Arkansas team that beat LSU.. Kansas really didn't have any problems with VT at all, the same "quality" win LSU fans were talking about them waxing... throw in Texas's quality win, CU hanging with Bama ( I know, not saying much), Tech, ignoring OUs Fiesta collapses, they're still a talented team I would line up against any SEC team this year .. That makes a darn good conference ..

Not saying this is the case every year.. last year SEC was #1, and next year I wouldn't be shock to see LSU, Florida, or Georgia on the top again and putting SEC at #1 once again..

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
    Don't put the 'Cuse up their. They don't deserve to have a football program anymore. At least as long as they keep the current head of Syracuse athletics. He turned Syracuse football from bad to worse.

He needs to be fired. He went to the last game of the season against Cin. and every time the ‘cuse scored a TD he showed no excitement, all he did was stuff his face with chicken and beer. And when asked about the past 3 god awful seasons and how he was going to fix things.

"That is something I need to evaluate in the future"

He's a crook. Gets paid. does nothing. I want him out of NEW YORK NOW!
    Whoa, easy Armada! Better days will come, my friend. Here's something to cheer you up.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Armada
    replied
    Originally posted by ChampWJ View Post
    Syracuse - 2-10, 46th hardest schedule
    Don't put the 'Cuse up their. They don't deserve to have a football program anymore. At least as long as they keep the current head of Syracuse athletics. He turned Syracuse football from bad to worse.

He needs to be fired. He went to the last game of the season against Cin. and every time the ‘cuse scored a TD he showed no excitement, all he did was stuff his face with chicken and beer. And when asked about the past 3 god awful seasons and how he was going to fix things.

"That is something I need to evaluate in the future"

He's a crook. Gets paid. does nothing. I want him out of NEW YORK NOW!

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Armada
    replied
    SEC in my unprofessional opinion is one of the most toughest, physical, quickest, loudest con. in college football.

Not to mention their fans are probably the biggest in football. (I think Texas, Georgia, and Alabama have the greatest fans in football obviously there a dozen others or more but I think those are the top 3)

I have never checked it out but I am willing to bet a CP the SEC has more pro drafts than any other college conference.

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    replied
    Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    wow. i'm only going to say this one more time and then i give up.
    THE SEC IS NOT AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY CONFERENCE THAT PLAYS TOUGH TEAMS.
    so you say that the bad teams in the sec are bad because they have to play the good teams in the sec? OH WOW, YOU TOTALLY BLEW MY MIND. I DIDN'T KNOW THE WEAKER TEAMS IN THAT CONFERENCE HAD TO PLAY THE TOUGHER TEAMS. AFTER ALL, IT'S NOT LIKE THE WEAK TEAMS IN THE OTHER CONFERENCES HAVE TO PLAY HARD CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
    You just don't get it. There are other good conferences. I don't see how you can't see that the SEC is the deepest, top-to-bottom. Since you want to talk about teams from other conferences playing hard opponents, Why don't we take a look at strength of schedule and compare.

Kentucky - 8-5, 9th hardest schedule in the country
    S. Carolina - 6-6, 7th hardest schedule
    Ole Miss - 3-9, 4th hardest schedule
    Alabama, 7-6, 20th hardest schedule

Now lets look at some of teams from other conferences:

Baylor - 3-9, 39th hardest schedule
    Iowa St - 3-9, 27th hardest schedule
    Syracuse - 2-10, 46th hardest schedule
    Minnesota - 1-11, 32nd hardest schedule
    Indiana - 7-6, 66th hardest schedule
    Iowa - 6-6, 88th hardest schedule
    Northwestern - 6-6, 76th hardest schedule
    Washington State - 5-7, 63rd hardest schedule
    Cal - 7-6, 45th hardest schedule
    Miami - 5-7, 74th hardest schedule
    North Carolina - 4-9, 59th hardest schedule
    Boise State - 10-3, 106th hardest schedule
    Hawaii - 12-1, 110th hardest schedule

So lets go ahead and break that down more. Let's say 3-9 Ole Miss played 3-9 Baylor's 39th hardest schedule instead of their own 4th hardest. Think they would still be 3-9? Highly doubtful. Or how about 6-6 South Carolina playing 6-6 Iowa's 88th hardest schedule instead of their own 7th hardest. I bet they would have a better record than Iowa did against that schedule. You could also make a case that if those teams played in the SEC, their records would be worse based on these facts.

It says a lot about the overall strength of a conference when the last place SEC team plays a much tougher schedule than most of the other conference champions (USC-64th, Ohio St-34th, WVU-29th, Oklahoma-24th).

Leave a comment:

• BaileyTheBest
    replied
    that's what i really disagree with. your top 3 could probably beat any other conference's top 3 a lot of the time but ouside of them, your conference is equal with the other conferences.
    "top to bottom" the sec is NOT "without question" better than any other conference. look at last year, who was bad? vandy, ole miss, south carolina, southern miss, and kentucky. and those are the teams that are usually bad year in year out.
    First of all, southern miss isn't in the SEC, they are in C-USA. Second, I was mainly referring to this season. Top to bottom, the SEC was the best conference. The only bad team was Ole Miss. Vandy, Alabama, and South Carolina weren't great but they were still average teams. If you can name me one other conference that only had ONE bad team this season, I will concede this argument. Also, the SEC was 7-2 in bowls this season. Best of all the BCS conferences. And, no one said we are the ONLY conference who plays tough teams. You are putting words in our mouths. Other conferences have really good teams, but top to bottom the SEC is the best.
    Last edited by BaileyTheBest; 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkPanda
    replied
    wow. i'm only going to say this one more time and then i give up.
    THE SEC IS NOT AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY CONFERENCE THAT PLAYS TOUGH TEAMS.
    so you say that the bad teams in the sec are bad because they have to play the good teams in the sec? OH WOW, YOU TOTALLY BLEW MY MIND. I DIDN'T KNOW THE WEAKER TEAMS IN THAT CONFERENCE HAD TO PLAY THE TOUGHER TEAMS. AFTER ALL, IT'S NOT LIKE THE WEAK TEAMS IN THE OTHER CONFERENCES HAVE TO PLAY HARD CONFERENCE OPPONENTS

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    replied
    that's what i really disagree with. your top 3 could probably beat any other conference's top 3 a lot of the time but ouside of them, your conference is equal with the other conferences.
    "top to bottom" the sec is NOT "without question" better than any other conference. look at last year, who was bad? vandy, ole miss, south carolina, southern miss, and kentucky. and those are the teams that are usually bad year in year out.
    You're wrong, again. The SEC IS the deepest, strongest conference right now. Go look at the conference bowl records, and stop ignoring the facts.

And if you want to know why the SEC has a few "bad" teams every year, it's because they have to go on the road to Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. When half the conference is made up of great teams, it's only natural for the other half to be average or below. The records of the bottom SEC teams are skewed because of who they play. Kind of like the Hawaii's and Boise State's that have inflated records because of their conference schedules.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkPanda
    replied
    Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I think the fact that we had 10 bowl eligible teams and 1 with 5 wins pretty much speaks for itself. Top to bottom, there's no question that the SEC is tge best conference. The only really bad team in the SEC this season was Ole Miss. Name me another conference that had ONLY one really bad team.

Leave a comment:

• RunYouOver
    replied
    Off the top of my head...

Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, Arksansas, and two that were pretty good: Alabama and South Carolina.

So, uh yeah...

Good thread, except not so much.

Leave a comment:

• BaileyTheBest
    replied
    I think the fact that we had 10 bowl eligible teams and 1 with 5 wins pretty much speaks for itself. Top to bottom, there's no question that the SEC is tge best conference. The only really bad team in the SEC this season was Ole Miss. Name me another conference that had ONLY one really bad team.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
    replied
    ROFLMFAO.
    The Sec is by far the toughest and best conference.
    Damn get a clue

Its okay though. A little biased never hurt anyone.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkPanda
    replied
    i just noticed something else. the sec fans here aren't that bad. i check out the free rivals board from time to time and that place is about 90% sec fans and all of the threads are about sec fans giving each other *******s. it really irritates me but i can't post there, so i've been using this place to vent. i'll stop now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X