College stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College stuff

ESPN News just reported (10:25am PDT, 8/6) that the Big Ten approved the use of instant replay for football games. What do you all think of that? I like instant replay, but I think schools spend way too much money on sports as it is. I know that all they need to do is get a link from the TV cameras and get sideline monitors, which shouldn't cost a ton of money, but aren't there better things to spend money on, like, I dunno, research? Academic scholarships? Edicational facilities and cirriculum (yes, I am being naive sounding on purpose...playing devil's advocate)?

Seriously, is this really THAT important at the college level?

Your thoughts?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

agreed^
    Thats one of the problems with society is our priorities are not in order. A prime example is when you spend money that could be used to further america's education on extra curricular activities.

Comment

I agree with you all that it should be used for academics but it will never change. Athletics brings in way too much money for big conferance schools.

Comment

Re: College stuff

Originally posted by Jared
        ESPN News just reported (10:25am PDT, 8/6) that the Big Ten approved the use of instant replay for football games. What do you all think of that? I like instant replay, but I think schools spend way too much money on sports as it is. I know that all they need to do is get a link from the TV cameras and get sideline monitors, which shouldn't cost a ton of money, but aren't there better things to spend money on, like, I dunno, research? Academic scholarships? Edicational facilities and cirriculum (yes, I am being naive sounding on purpose...playing devil's advocate)?

Your thoughts?
        As much money as college sports brings in why shouldn't they use a bulk of that money on the sports itself. Most of the college campuses that have big time sports programs have better facilities. So the way I see it;

More money spent on college sports = better sports teams = more fans = more money for the schools = more money to spend on education.

Honestly, it's rediculous how much some of those great programs make a year. I wish I could find a stat on how much Michigan's football team makes a year. Think about it, 100,000+ seat stadium, 6-7 home games a year, $50 minimum for a ticket, and dont' forget concessions. MAN THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY!

Cody J. Esquire
        "I'm not arrogant either but I am as close to being an expert on the game as anyone on this site will ever get." Zack Morris
        "These people need me." Zack Morris
        "Yes, [Vick] has a cannon. But he's also accurate." Zack Morris
        "I've sat and watched Vick throw more accurate passes than most of the starting quarterbacks in the leaue on a weekly basis." Zack Morris
        "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE DOES NOT INDICATE HOW ACCURATE A QUARTERBACK IS." Zack Morris
        "McNairs WRs make him look a hell of alot better than he really is." Zack Morris
        "The Titans have arguably the best receiving core [sic] in the NFL." Zack Morris
        "Charlie Joiner was not that good." Zack Morris
        "Lynn Swan [sic] is generally regarded as one of the most overrated players in the hall...BUT OVERRATED PLAYERS MADE IT IN ALOT BACK THEN." (Swann inducted in 2001) Zack Morris
        "With Harrison, Wayne, and another able TE on his own team, I have my doubts [Jason] Witten will do that maybe in a couple of years." Zack Morris
        "Neener neener!" Zack Morris

LONG LIVE THE EXPERT!

Comment

Sports bring in a lot of money for the Collages.
          Eagles own u

Comment

Re: College stuff

Originally posted by Jared
            ESPN News just reported (10:25am PDT, 8/6) that the Big Ten approved the use of instant replay for football games. What do you all think of that? I like instant replay, but I think schools spend way too much money on sports as it is.
            Jared, youve got to remember its not just about the money that the schools will make. Its the money the bettors lose when the game came down to a bad call that could have been changed.

Its always about the almighty dollar....

Quick: I haven't had my ass whipped in a while. Probably been since like...1911?
            Sugar Ray: Yeah, thats when you were born and the doctor slapped you on the ass.
            Quick: Yes, thats the last ass whipping I recall. And I'm looking for him.

Comment

i hate it, just more lag on the game and it's not going to solve anything. completely unnecessary in college football in my opinion.

Check out Goal Line Blitz

WINNER of Elevation INC's Pick Your 53 Challenge....Sig to come!

Comment

I think its necassary because the referee's job is quite hard especially with the amount of players per team, then the fact college refs in many conferences have been known not to be of the best quality (you'd know if you paid enough attention) so I believe it is good. But in terms of can the money be spent on wiser more significant areas...without a doubt.
                sigpic

When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece- John Ruskin

Comment

Re: Re: College stuff

Originally posted by Elway4King
                  As much money as college sports brings in why shouldn't they use a bulk of that money on the sports itself. Most of the college campuses that have big time sports programs have better facilities. So the way I see it;

More money spent on college sports = better sports teams = more fans = more money for the schools = more money to spend on education.

Honestly, it's rediculous how much some of those great programs make a year. I wish I could find a stat on how much Michigan's football team makes a year. Think about it, 100,000+ seat stadium, 6-7 home games a year, $50 minimum for a ticket, and dont' forget concessions. MAN THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY!

Cody J. Esquire
                  I agree.....the school wouldn't have that money in the first place if it wasn't for the sports programs. And I'm sure a good portion of it DOES go to academics.....
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X