Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time for the NCAA to level the field.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time for the NCAA to level the field.

as the title states, I think it's high time the NCAA took matters into their own hands, and did a little leveling of the playing field. Some realignment is majorly needed in college football.

No more Alabama playing Louisiana Monroe, LSU playing Applachian State, in fact no more Div 2 playing Division 1, and there are several schools that need to be relegated to Div 2 that are currently Div 1.

The NCAA needs to remove the power from Athletic Directors of scheduling Non-Conference Opponents. This became evident when Missouri who played Non-Con games against Buffalo, Nevada, and SEMO State built up an illusion and got themselves inaccurately ranked in the Top 5 based on overinflated statistics against subpar teams. Yep, for the purpose of this article I'm picking on Missouri, and that's because they did it intentionally. Pick 3 or 4 bread and butter teams, run up the stats, run up the score, and bam you get yourself thrown in the discussion of the Elite. Karmatistically, it backfired, when Texas exposed the Paper Tigers for what they really were, and in front of a National Audience on Primetime Saturday night tv.

It's time for the NCAA to commandeer competitive games in the Non-Conf, make it harder to reach the BCS Championship Game.

We need to see Florida vs. USC, Ohio State vs. LSU, Alabama vs Penn State, Texas vs. Georgia, and we need those matchups on a weekly basis. It's not fair to the little schools to have to lose games to big schools who are just looking to boost their confidence by beating up on lesser teams.

It's time to level the field, and make it an absolute dogfight to get into the Title Game. No more breezing to a 12-0 Record by not playing anyone. We want competition, and adversity, and diversity.

Schools like Buffalo, Tulsa, Nevada, App. State, Ball State, they're all good schools, but they aren't Div 1 contenders.

Teams like Notre Dame (who I am a tremendous fan of) should have to join a conference (Big East, ACC, Big 10), and all conferences should have to play a Championship Game. no questions about it, just do it. It's good for college football, it'll add more drama, more hype, and give every team a fair advantage.

It's the only viable alternative to a playoff system.

Discuss.

One of the few things I like about NCAA rules is the over time other then that meh.

I'd loooove it if they had a bracket style thing for the national championship but that will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
      One of the few things I like about NCAA rules is the over time other then that meh.

I'd loooove it if they had a bracket style thing for the national championship but that will never happen.
      I agree with the bracket, but I still think forcing all teams into a conference, and making all conferences play a Conference Championship Game, plus removing the AD's scheduling of Non-Con opponents would go a long ways towards making college football more competitive again, until they can get a bracket going or figure out a decent system.

Comment

The good schools will never stop playing the small schools because they both want it to happen. The small schools fund their athletic programs with the couple of big school games they play. The big schools use these games as pre-season, warm up, type games. I highly doubt the NCAA will change this until one of the sides has a problem with it. The small schools will never let it happen though. Those games are a big part of their income.

Comment

Originally posted by 97svtinkc View Post
          This became evident when Missouri who played Non-Con games against Buffalo, Nevada, and SEMO State built up an illusion and got themselves inaccurately ranked in the Top 5 based on overinflated statistics against subpar teams. Yep, for the purpose of this article I'm picking on Missouri, and that's because they did it intentionally. Pick 3 or 4 bread and butter teams, run up the stats, run up the score, and bam you get yourself thrown in the discussion of the Elite..
          That has nothing to do with it .... The Coaches and AP votes from how they feel the team finished the year before and by the amount the team returns in starters and where they project them to start the season...

Not by a schedule that was made up 2 years in advance before people even knew who Moore,Maclin,Daniel even was....

I think this has more to do with your bias against Mizzou then anything else....

Even though Mizzou went 7-1 against the Big 12 last year and lost to Oklahoma by 10 points in Norman....But hey because Oklahoma beat them by a higher margin the second time on a neutral field that somehow how makes Mizzou no good ...When in fact Mizzou went on to beat the SEC and the Sooners went on to get spanked by the Big East...

If anything the NCAA/BCS should not be using the AP Poll/Coaches poll until around week 4-5...

Teams like Notre Dame (who I am a tremendous fan of) should have to join a conference (Big East, ACC, Big 10), and all conferences should have to play a Championship Game. no questions about it, just do it. It's good for college football, it'll add more drama, more hype, and give every team a fair advantage.
          I agree ND should join a conference but I totally disagree with all the conferences should have to play a conference title game....

Last years SEC title game was bunk .... It should have been LSU vs Georgia..

Texas beat Oklahoma..They will not play again does anyone question that these are the two best teams in the Big 12.....

What good would it have done for USC & Oregon to play each other again after Oregon won vs USC then lost Dixon to injury....

Whoever wins this week Ohio St vs Penn St will win the Big 10 or be considered co champs if they lose later on and because of no playoff system and rankings co champs will safise...

Only example I can remember that go's along with the Big 10 needs a title conference game...Is in '02...

'02 Iowa Hawkeyes was considered Co Champs of the Big 10 only regular season lose they had that year was against Iowa St....Iowa went on to lose to USC...Ohio State went on to play as heavy underdogs against a 24 straight win team...Ohio State started off that season ranked #13,Iowa was not ranked until the mid way point....To go along with the thread Ohio State opened that season against a Big 12 Team and a # 10 Ranked PAC 10 team and just like Iowa came real close to losing to a in state team Cincinnati..

If anything the conference title games are a part of the overall problem and that is money....It would be one thing if they was playing them to have a clear cut winner of the conference but the main reason is for TV money for the conference...

Right now the best we can hope for is a 1+1 system....The NCAA needs a playoff system...Make sure that each team plays each other in its conference.....The winner of each conference is who plays in the playoffs...

The playoff rounds could be played in the established Bowl's big part of the no playoff system and the excitement would still very much be there...The other smaller bowl games could be played by still using the current AP/Coaches ranking system...

Originally posted by jhns View Post
          The good schools will never stop playing the small schools because they both want it to happen. The small schools fund their athletic programs with the couple of big school games they play. The big schools use these games as pre-season, warm up, type games. I highly doubt the NCAA will change this until one of the sides has a problem with it. The small schools will never let it happen though. Those games are a big part of their income.
          What jhns said is right on and to add to it gives the smaller schools much more recruiting exposer ....The NCAA still has work to do but by adding the extra football scholarships we have seen first hand it has helped the smaller market schools
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I think the college game has some of the bet parity in any sport. There are the powerhouses, but, they arent just going out and dominating every game from start to finish.

If the college game would move to a playoff for the national championship (11 conference champs, 5 at large bids) it would mke it a truly stellar postseason. But, thats not ever going to happen.
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

as the title states, I think it's high time the NCAA took matters into their own hands, and did a little leveling of the playing field. Some realignment is majorly needed in college football.

No more Alabama playing Louisiana Monroe, LSU playing Applachian State, in fact no more Div 2 playing Division 1, and there are several schools that need to be relegated to Div 2 that are currently Div 1.

The NCAA needs to remove the power from Athletic Directors of scheduling Non-Conference Opponents. This became evident when Missouri who played Non-Con games against Buffalo, Nevada, and SEMO State built up an illusion and got themselves inaccurately ranked in the Top 5 based on overinflated statistics against subpar teams. Yep, for the purpose of this article I'm picking on Missouri, and that's because they did it intentionally. Pick 3 or 4 bread and butter teams, run up the stats, run up the score, and bam you get yourself thrown in the discussion of the Elite. Karmatistically, it backfired, when Texas exposed the Paper Tigers for what they really were, and in front of a National Audience on Primetime Saturday night tv.

It's time for the NCAA to commandeer competitive games in the Non-Conf, make it harder to reach the BCS Championship Game.

We need to see Florida vs. USC, Ohio State vs. LSU, Alabama vs Penn State, Texas vs. Georgia, and we need those matchups on a weekly basis. It's not fair to the little schools to have to lose games to big schools who are just looking to boost their confidence by beating up on lesser teams.

It's time to level the field, and make it an absolute dogfight to get into the Title Game. No more breezing to a 12-0 Record by not playing anyone. We want competition, and adversity, and diversity.

Schools like Buffalo, Tulsa, Nevada, App. State, Ball State, they're all good schools, but they aren't Div 1 contenders.

It's the only viable alternative to a playoff system.

Discuss.
              Funny how you call out SEC teams. Maybe your jhawks should do some scheduling before you call out other teams. LaTech, Florida International and Sam Houston State Yet you call out Mizzou? Wow talk about death row.

Comment

Originally posted by martz11 View Post
                Funny how you call out SEC teams. Maybe your jhawks should do some scheduling before you call out other teams. LaTech, Florida International and Sam Houston State Yet you call out Mizzou? Wow talk about death row.
                I agree 100% completely about KU's scheduling. but we also played and lost to #9 ranked South Florida earlier this season by SF's game winning field goal as time expired...so give us some credit.

Comment

I agree 100% completely about KU's scheduling. but we also played and lost to #9 ranked South Florida earlier this season by SF's game winning field goal as time expired...so give us some credit.
                  You admit your team as well so I have no beef w/you then

You lost to SF but they schedule these games a few years in advance and who would have thought SF would have even been ranked when they schedule then.

But I do agree that the ncaa should try to do something about it.

Comment

you can't beat big teams, if you dont play them and you dont know how to play them.

Comment

I think Penn State will be the exposed team this year in a BCS game. They played a weak non-con(Coastal Carolina, Oregon St, Syracuse & Temple) and they play in the terrible Big Ten. If Texas or Alabama slip against much tougher opponents then Penn St could end up in the NC game.

As for the Jayhawks, well Mangino coached under Bill Snyder at KSU and they made a living for a decade playing a cupcake non-con. I think Mangino will continue to play these weak teams. Hopefully that will stop if KU can become a consistant winner.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
                      "It's okay to be a cliche....Everything under the sun has been done."

Comment

Big schools play little schools as easy wins for a reason. Why should an SEC team schedule tough nonconference games when they have to play teams like Florida, Georgia, LSU and Bama while the small conferences play cupcake teams in division. Letting Big conferences play weak nonconference teams IS leveling the playing field. Even with playing bad teams they will still have some of the hardest strength of schedules in the NCAA.

Plus small schools like to play big schools. They get huge check for it and national coverage!
                        sigpic
                        Thanks Blondie79!
                        All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
                        Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
                        "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Comment

Working...
                        X