Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greeley West???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greeley West???

    Does anyone from the Front Range that follows HS ball know anything about Greeley West? They travel to Montrose to face the Indians in the second round of the 4A playoffs, but other than that I don't know much about them.

    Anyone with any knowledge of the Greeley West football team want to exchange information?
    Winter is Coming!

  • #2
    They have been a very good team in 4A for years. I don't know much about them cause I play in 5A. But they are a solid team, and the way they have played this year I wouldn't be too surprised if they ended up winning state this year in 4A.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BVP View Post
      They have been a very good team in 4A for years. I don't know much about them cause I play in 5A. But they are a solid team, and the way they have played this year I wouldn't be too surprised if they ended up winning state this year in 4A.
      Thanks, BVP!

      I know they've had a solid program for a long time. When the playoffs were set I figured they might be the best team in the top bracket. I think Montrose is lucky to get them at home. Greeley West beat Niwot 31-27, and last weekend Montrose beat Niwot 21-14, so that's really all I have to work with in comparison. I know the 6+ hour trip and overnight stay won't help the Spartans much.

      Montrose has been outsized almost every game this year it seems. They have great speed and they're extremely disciplined. They run the veer, but the QB is a great athlete who throws the ball well too. They beat three 5A teams this year, albeit not very good ones. The average score in their matchups this season has been 39-9. Honestly, Montrose is (and almost always has been) only as good as their coach; and they have a good one right now. It should be a great game.

      What team do you play for, BVP? Position? I remember knowing at one point, but my memory fails me right now. Are you guys still alive in the playoffs? If so, let me know - I'll be rooting for you. Best of luck to you and thanks for the response.

      Winter is Coming!

      Comment


      • #4
        Greeley West Info

        Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
        Does anyone from the Front Range that follows HS ball know anything about Greeley West? They travel to Montrose to face the Indians in the second round of the 4A playoffs, but other than that I don't know much about them.

        Anyone with any knowledge of the Greeley West football team want to exchange information?
        Greeley West has a tough defense this year. Two of their players are in the top 4 tacklers in the state regardless of division. Last week during the Montrose game, they intercepted the ball 4 times and caused a fumble which they recovered. One of their defensive linemen has 98 tackles himself. Not a bragging point but many of the opposing team members have left the field with broken bones, concussions, etc. The defense plays very physical ball and they are well conditioned to last the entire game.

        Their offense is well balanced. They have a running back who is very quick and if he gets open he will outrun most defenders. Alternately, they have a running back who is the power back and can get you a few yards whenever you need them. The quarterback has a good arm but can run if threatened. His favorite receiver has caught many balls in a clutch and many long bombs. Their offensive front line has given the quarterback plenty of time to throw in most passing situations and can open up huge holes for the running back.

        The head coach is in his 31st year as a coach. His father and son also coach and his other son is on the team. One of his assistants was the head football coach at U.N.C. and much of the rest of the coaching staff includes decorated players in college.

        Greeley West has been to the semifinals before but has gotten knocked out by Dakota Ridge and Loveland respectively. Both of those games were dominated by Greeley West but lost on a few big plays. The Loveland game went into overtime. They have never reached the finals in school history so this could be a big moment if they can get past Pine Creek in 2008. Their only loss this year was to Legacy, a playoff 5A team with four division 1 players on it. They held them to only 6 points--better than any 5A defense but got a touchdown called back and had a few dropped key passes in the freezing cold for the loss.

        Watch for them in the next few years as well because the upcoming classes are showing strength on the field as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mindtickler View Post
          Greeley West has a tough defense this year. Two of their players are in the top 4 tacklers in the state regardless of division. Last week during the Montrose game, they intercepted the ball 4 times and caused a fumble which they recovered. One of their defensive linemen has 98 tackles himself. Not a bragging point but many of the opposing team members have left the field with broken bones, concussions, etc. The defense plays very physical ball and they are well conditioned to last the entire game.

          Their offense is well balanced. They have a running back who is very quick and if he gets open he will outrun most defenders. Alternately, they have a running back who is the power back and can get you a few yards whenever you need them. The quarterback has a good arm but can run if threatened. His favorite receiver has caught many balls in a clutch and many long bombs. Their offensive front line has given the quarterback plenty of time to throw in most passing situations and can open up huge holes for the running back.

          The head coach is in his 31st year as a coach. His father and son also coach and his other son is on the team. One of his assistants was the head football coach at U.N.C. and much of the rest of the coaching staff includes decorated players in college.

          Greeley West has been to the semifinals before but has gotten knocked out by Dakota Ridge and Loveland respectively. Both of those games were dominated by Greeley West but lost on a few big plays. The Loveland game went into overtime. They have never reached the finals in school history so this could be a big moment if they can get past Pine Creek in 2008. Their only loss this year was to Legacy, a playoff 5A team with four division 1 players on it. They held them to only 6 points--better than any 5A defense but got a touchdown called back and had a few dropped key passes in the freezing cold for the loss.

          Watch for them in the next few years as well because the upcoming classes are showing strength on the field as well.
          Thanks, Mindtickler...

          Very impressive win over Pine Creek... Greeley West crushed them. It pains me a little because I put the Montrose loss to them all on the QB. Like you said, 4 Ints and a fumble. Those interceptions were all unforced too. He just put the ball up for grabs. They looked like punts with 5 second hang times. A very pathetic showing, IMO. I'm not sure what his problem was, but he's likely still in the depths of despair and depression.

          I'll tell you what impressed me most about Greeley West: the route running by the wideouts and TE's. Absolutely superb! Me and several of my friends were commenting on that all game long.

          Anyway, good luck against Wheat Ridge. Should be a great game!
          Winter is Coming!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
            Thanks, BVP!

            I know they've had a solid program for a long time. When the playoffs were set I figured they might be the best team in the top bracket. I think Montrose is lucky to get them at home. Greeley West beat Niwot 31-27, and last weekend Montrose beat Niwot 21-14, so that's really all I have to work with in comparison. I know the 6+ hour trip and overnight stay won't help the Spartans much.

            Montrose has been outsized almost every game this year it seems. They have great speed and they're extremely disciplined. They run the veer, but the QB is a great athlete who throws the ball well too. They beat three 5A teams this year, albeit not very good ones. The average score in their matchups this season has been 39-9. Honestly, Montrose is (and almost always has been) only as good as their coach; and they have a good one right now. It should be a great game.

            What team do you play for, BVP? Position? I remember knowing at one point, but my memory fails me right now. Are you guys still alive in the playoffs? If so, let me know - I'll be rooting for you. Best of luck to you and thanks for the response.

            I played Center for Pomona. I am a senior this year, and we are done now. We made it to the Quarter Finals and lost to Columbine 23-8. Thanks though. :salute!:
            sigpic

            Comment

            Working...
            X