Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congress getting involved over BCS...calls it a racket.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Congress getting involved over BCS...calls it a racket.

    http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/11118768

    Congressman Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii) plans to resubmit a bill claiming that the Bowl Championship Series is an illegal restraint of trade, CBSSports.com has learned.

    Capitalizing on the momentum created by comments made by President-elect Barack Obama, Abercrombie and his co-sponsors plan to make the announcement at a press conference this week, possibly as soon as Thursday. They are also intending to send a letter of support to Obama.

    Obama reiterated Sunday on 60 Minutes that he would like to see an eight-team playoff in major college football.

    Abercrombie caused a minor stir in April when he initially announced submission of the bill. Abercrombie, a senior member of the House of Representatives, admitted back then he didn't fully grasp details of the BCS but was still proceeding with fervor.

    "It's a racket," Abercrombie told CBSSports.com at the time. "They've got a little cartel. It's La Cosa Nostra ... and slavery."

    Abercrombie is joined by co-sponsors Lynn Westmoreland (R-Georgia), Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) and Jim Matheson (D-Utah) behind the bill that never made it to the floor for a vote this year. It would be considered again when the 111th Congress convenes in January.

    Seven months ago Abercrombie, Westmoreland and Simpson asked the Justice Department to investigate the BCS.

  • #2
    Lmao.......ironic its coming from Hawaii. Especially after the BCS set Hawaii up with UGA.

    Hawaii, FTL

    Comment


    • #3
      The BS is completely full of crap and everybody knows it, including the BS.......But wasn't the BS started to calm the cries for a playoff system?

      I'm sorry but, if the BS were gone tomorrow, they already have a PlanB and PlanB would replace the BS by the end of the day, and that PlanB is not and will never be a playoff system.

      Somebody is making too much money.......There will NEVER be a playoff system in college football.......

      Comment


      • #4
        never say never man...

        i don't know how i feel about congress stickin' their nose in sports.

        like, the whole NE fiasco where they wanted to investigate the NFL etc... and baseball.

        the difference is that with the baseball investigation, it was about illegal drug use...

        now that would make sense if congress investigated the NFL's policies on illegal drugs... i.e. letting players back after being convicted or charged as criminals, etc.

        although, i think the BCS needs to get a grip and knock off their crap. Hey, let's allow auto-berths for the conferences that are in the BCS... even if those teams suck, have worse records and are ranked lower than other teams...

        on the other hand, i dunno about an 8 team playoff.... there are over a hundred college teams... how are they gonna sit there and legitimately narrow it down to eight without being dangerously close to the current poll system...

        but if college basketball can have a sweet playoff setup, i don't see why football couldn't have a similar one. they only play 12 games a season... can't be that hard...

        not to mention there's like a month of dead time between the last regular season game and either any bowl games or the National Championship game.
        sigpic

        DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm no fan of the BCS, but I think congress should be focused on more important things going on at the moment. Jmho.
          www.allbuffs.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GoBuffs99 View Post
            I'm no fan of the BCS, but I think congress should be focused on more important things going on at the moment. Jmho.
            I agree...
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

            Comment


            • #7
              What could possibly be more important? Another Impotent Bail Out plan that only benefits CEO's because the people have no idea where the money goes?

              Personally, I've been waiting for these politicians to finally do something that would benefit me.

              So if politicians think can get these people to give all the money they make from this "Racket"? Have at it you Pimps.......

              Comment


              • #8
                at first I was thinking Congress had no business sticking its nose into this mess, but after much thought I'm actually starting to think it has a right and I'll tell you why.

                Below is a list of every National Champ and Co-National Champ from 1900-2007. If you look at the list from 1900 - 1945, just about any college had a shot to win a national championship. But after 1945 when Army won back to back national championships in 1944 and 1945, if you look at the history, you notice the smaller market teams don't win National Titles. Coincidence? Maybe.

                1900 - Yale
                1901 - Michigan
                1902 - Michigan
                1903 - Princeton
                1904 - Pennsylvania
                1905 - Chicago
                1906 - Princeton
                1907 - Yale
                1908 - Pennsylvania
                1909 - Yale
                1910 - Harvard
                1911 - Princeton
                1912 - Harvard
                1913 - Harvard
                1914 - Army
                1915 - Cornell
                1916 - Pittsburgh
                1917 - Georgia Tech
                1918 - Pittsburgh
                1919 - Harvard
                1920 - California
                1921 - Cornell
                1922 - Cornell
                1923 - Illinois
                1924 - Notre Dame
                1925 - Alabama (H)/Dartmouth (D)
                1926 - Alabama (H)/Stanford (H, D)
                1927 - Illinois
                1928 - Georgia Tech (H)/USC (D)
                1929 - Notre Dame
                1930 - Notre Dame
                1931 - USC
                1932 - USC (H)/Michigan (D)
                1933 - Michigan
                1934 - Minnesota
                1935 - Minnesota (H)/SMU (D)
                1936 - Minnesota
                1937 - Pittsburgh
                1938 - TCU (AP)/Notre Dame (D)
                1939 - USC (D)/Texas A&M (AP)
                1940 - Minnesota
                1941 - Minnesota
                1942 - Ohio State
                1943 - Notre Dame
                1944 - Army
                1945 - Army
                1946 - Notre Dame
                1947 - Notre Dame
                1948 - Michigan
                1949 - Notre Dame
                1950 - Oklahoma
                1951 - Tennessee
                1952 - Michigan State
                1953 - Maryland
                1954 - Ohio State (AP)/UCLA (UPI)
                1955 - Oklahoma
                1956 - Oklahoma
                1957 - Auburn (AP)/Ohio State (UPI)
                1958 - LSU
                1959 - Syracuse
                1960 - Minnesota
                1961 - Alabama
                1962 - USC
                1963 - Texas
                1964 - Alabama
                1965 - Alabama (AP)/Michigan State (UPI)
                1966 - Notre Dame
                1967 - USC
                1968 - Ohio State
                1969 - Texas
                1970 - Nebraska (AP)/Texas (UPI)
                1971 - Nebraska
                1972 - USC
                1973 - Notre Dame (AP)/Alabama (UPI)
                1974 - Oklahoma (AP)/USC (UPI)
                1975 - Oklahoma
                1976 - Pittsburgh
                1977 - Notre Dame
                1978 - Alabama (AP)/USC (UPI)
                1979 - Alabama
                1980 - Georgia
                1981 - Clemson
                1982 - Penn State
                1983 - Miami, Fla.
                1984 - Brigham Young
                1985 - Oklahoma
                1986 - Penn State
                1987 - Miami, Fla.
                1988 - Notre Dame
                1989 - Miami, Fla.
                1990 - Colorado (AP)/Georgia Tech (UPI)
                1991 - Miami(AP)/Washington (Coaches)
                1992 - Alabama
                1993 - Florida State
                1994 - Nebraska
                1995 - Nebraska
                1996 - Florida
                1997 - Michigan (AP)/Nebraska (Coaches)
                1998 - Tennessee
                1999 - Florida State
                2000 - Oklahoma
                2001 - Miami
                2002 - Ohio State
                2003 - LSU (National Champs)/USC (#1 in AP Poll)
                2004 - USC
                2005 - Texas
                2006 - Florida
                2007 - LSU

                BYU was the last team from a minor conference to win a national title in 1984 (now part of the Mountain West Conference). Since then, the major conferences have gone on to dominate college football. Coincidence? No way. Monopoly? Absolutely.

                Now I do take into account that college football has realigned, from the Big 8 to the Big 12. and that things have shifted, but shouldn't every college team have the right to earn a shot to win a National Title?

                Why is it only schools from the Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, and SEC should get a shot at playing for a National Title? How is that fair. Sure their schedules are tougher, but that's not the little schools faults.

                Not only that but the current system has a glitch and allows for a Shared National Championship as well. It's certainly not fair that 2 schools have to "share" the National Championship. The whole purpose of a National Champion is so that 1 schools team can be the "Champion". There aren't 2 "Champions" in the NFL. or any other collegiate or professional sport for that matter, so why allow for it in college football?

                Simple, because college football is a racket based on money, not athletics, not competition...but greed.

                College football has created a monopoly that is fitted to their liking, their alignment, and to their advantage. The BCS is fitted to allow the major schools to pocket millions and rack up championships whether lone or shared while respectfully telling the other smaller schools to kiss it's collective ass.

                I think it's high time Congress did get involved and put an end to this racket. and here's how.

                * Make a 12 Game Regular Season that starts in August.

                * Each team gets 1 bye week

                * Athletic Directors no longer have the ability to schedule NON-Conference Games. Instead this is randomly done by computer.

                * Record, Strength of Schedule, Quality Wins, Margin of Victory/Loss, will all be factors for the ranking system. Rankings will not apply once the playoffs begin.

                * All the current teams & conferences are shuffled to a random computer generated alignment for ultimate parity (Conference Championship Games are eliminated in lieu of the playoff system)

                * All Independent teams must join a conference (Notre Dame, Army, Navy) or they are not playoff/NC Game eligible

                * The Top 30 Ranked Teams will be playoff Eligible at the end of the regular season, with the #1 and #2 ranked teams getting a first round bye. Playoff order will not go by seeding, but will be computer picked at random to ensure every school has a fair shot at winning, and that no team can "run the table" by seeding, rankings, or other forms such as voters, polls, etc.

                * The Top 30 teams will commence the playoffs the first week of December and will go to end of December. Week 1 will consist of 14 games (#1 and #2 get a bye week). Week 2 will consist of 8 Games. Week 3 will consist of 4 Games, Week 4 Will Consist of the Semi-Finals, and the first week of January will consist of the National Championship Game.
                Last edited by Overtime; 11-28-2008, 12:59 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My BCS proposal

                  Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                  never say never man...

                  i don't know how i feel about congress stickin' their nose in sports.

                  like, the whole NE fiasco where they wanted to investigate the NFL etc... and baseball.

                  the difference is that with the baseball investigation, it was about illegal drug use...

                  now that would make sense if congress investigated the NFL's policies on illegal drugs... i.e. letting players back after being convicted or charged as criminals, etc.

                  although, i think the BCS needs to get a grip and knock off their crap. Hey, let's allow auto-berths for the conferences that are in the BCS... even if those teams suck, have worse records and are ranked lower than other teams...

                  on the other hand, i dunno about an 8 team playoff.... there are over a hundred college teams... how are they gonna sit there and legitimately narrow it down to eight without being dangerously close to the current poll system...

                  but if college basketball can have a sweet playoff setup, i don't see why football couldn't have a similar one. they only play 12 games a season... can't be that hard...

                  not to mention there's like a month of dead time between the last regular season game and either any bowl games or the National Championship game.
                  To me it is a no-brainer: just do the same thing in the FBS that is done in the FCS and Divisions 2 and 3. That way, there is one rule to determine a champ. Why don't big and little schools play by the same rules? That is ridiculous.

                  I also would propose forcing the NCAA to make all FBS conferences 12 teams. That way each conference will have a championship game. The Big Ten tried, but Notre Dame said no. If I had my way, Notre Dame would join the Big Ten. I liked the idea years ago to only allow conference championship participants, or preferably the winners of those games, eligible for the BCS title game. That way, the Big 12 South teams would not be dependent on meaningless polls to meet either Florida or Alabama in the next championship game; they would be national championship game participants by winning the conference title game just like Alabama or Florida will.

                  One more thing: I would love to see an end to idle teams staying put or going up in the polls just because they did not lose. Why do voters reward them for staying home? And why are schools allowed to schedule more than one bye in a season? That is ridiculous.

                  One major reason I prefer the NFL is the existence of a playoff as it should be (wildcard/division/conference/championship) and lack of weekly polls for team rankings. Another is the fact every team gets one bye week. Another is the setup (8 divisions with 4 teams in each) and opponent scheduling pattern (8 home, 8 away, meet all teams in same division every year, etc.) instead of allowing teams to individually make up their own cupcake schedules. If I could be queen of the world, I would make college football like the NFL, except with a lot more teams and no beer sponsors.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DarrentCB27 View Post
                    To me it is a no-brainer: just do the same thing in the FBS that is done in the FCS and Divisions 2 and 3. That way, there is one rule to determine a champ. Why don't big and little schools play by the same rules? That is ridiculous.

                    I also would propose forcing the NCAA to make all FBS conferences 12 teams. That way each conference will have a championship game. The Big Ten tried, but Notre Dame said no. If I had my way, Notre Dame would join the Big Ten. I liked the idea years ago to only allow conference championship participants, or preferably the winners of those games, eligible for the BCS title game. That way, the Big 12 South teams would not be dependent on meaningless polls to meet either Florida or Alabama in the next championship game; they would be national championship game participants by winning the conference title game just like Alabama or Florida will.

                    One more thing: I would love to see an end to idle teams staying put or going up in the polls just because they did not lose. Why do voters reward them for staying home? And why are schools allowed to schedule more than one bye in a season? That is ridiculous.

                    One major reason I prefer the NFL is the existence of a playoff as it should be (wildcard/division/conference/championship) and lack of weekly polls for team rankings. Another is the fact every team gets one bye week. Another is the setup (8 divisions with 4 teams in each) and opponent scheduling pattern (8 home, 8 away, meet all teams in same division every year, etc.) instead of allowing teams to individually make up their own cupcake schedules. If I could be queen of the world, I would make college football like the NFL, except with a lot more teams and no beer sponsors.
                    Well you're forgetting that there are only 32 teams in the NFL and there are what, 119 in Division I college ball? So it's not that easy...

                    However, at the same time, I think it's doable. If college basketball can have a playoff and Division II can have playoffs, I don't see any reason why Division I can't.

                    I think making the conferences even might be an interesting idea... that could work. then take the champions of those conferences and have a playoff.

                    and not to mention there is a whole entire month at least where college ball isn't played after the regular season ends for BCS teams or ranked teams where they just wait around for their bowl games.

                    that month can be used for playoff games.

                    also I don't agree with what you said about having teams move up or whatever if they don't play.

                    look at it the other way: should they be PUNISHED for not playing? No.... they didn't lose... and if they won the week before, why punish them and move them down further? That's not fair. I can understand staying the same rank, but if teams above them lose... they shouldn't still have to stay at the same spot.

                    All in all, playoffs need to happen.
                    sigpic

                    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i'd much rather see a 16 team playoff because a lot of teams that deserve to be there will miss out in an 8 team playoff. who would the teams going to the playoffs be? the conference champs of each conference? that would still lead to controversy, are you teling me out of texas, oklahoma, missouri, and texas tech, only one of them deserve to be in the playoffs? and boise state deserves to be there more than the other 3? i think it should be the top 2 teams from each conference going to the playoffs.

                      either way, people saying there are more important things for the government to focus on... it's not like the government is saying "whoa, we need to stop worrying about the economy and put all of our attention on college football". the government is always working on many different things at the same time and i'm sure this college football bill is low on their list of "things to accomplish" and not taking away resources that they would be using to work on fixing the economy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        All of these Ideas sound great. But It will never happen. Too much money is changing hand to hand to hand to hand.

                        Big name teams get big time money on prime spot television. So all of these sponsors get their ads on and pay big money to do it. Then, there are TV royalties, logo royalties, etc etc. Then the FCC gets their cut too.

                        No way the people involved in this are gonna take their hands out of their pockets. And then ESPN swoops in just in time to REALLY make sure the B(c)S never changes.
                        sigpic

                        Hooray, beer!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                          i'd much rather see a 16 team playoff because a lot of teams that deserve to be there will miss out in an 8 team playoff. who would the teams going to the playoffs be? the conference champs of each conference? that would still lead to controversy, are you teling me out of texas, oklahoma, missouri, and texas tech, only one of them deserve to be in the playoffs? and boise state deserves to be there more than the other 3? i think it should be the top 2 teams from each conference going to the playoffs.

                          either way, people saying there are more important things for the government to focus on... it's not like the government is saying "whoa, we need to stop worrying about the economy and put all of our attention on college football". the government is always working on many different things at the same time and i'm sure this college football bill is low on their list of "things to accomplish" and not taking away resources that they would be using to work on fixing the economy
                          I think 16 or more is a good idea. How many teams get into the college basketball playoffs? It's more than 16 right? Because they have a "Sweet 16" round. So still, more than 16 teams would still work out.

                          Also what do you mean, Boise State deserves it more than the others in its conference or more than Texas, OK, etc? lol... Cuz if it's their own conference.... that's a no brainer. They are after all the only undefeated team in their conference and I don't think Nevada or San Jose deserve a shot.... maybe if their records were better. Sometimes it's closer and comes down to the last game to decide the conference champ (like last year with Hawaii).

                          But nonetheless I think it would also have to factor in record etc. And that falls in line with what you were saying, and kind of picks up ideas from NFL...

                          If one conference has all these teams with outstanding records and another conference only has one (or its champion) then by all means, the conference with 4 teams with better records should get playoff spots. And then there would be obvious tie-breakers and such to consider.

                          Look how many freaking bowl games there are. NOT counting the National Championship game, there are 33 bowls. That's 66 teams that make it to bowl games out of 119 teams. That leaves out 53 teams. I don't think we need 66 freaking teams every year playing in bowl games. I've always thought the amount of bowl games was ridiculous. It's almost like everyone can make it to a bowl game...just don't get last place in your conference! Almost...

                          There are 12 conferences (if you count the independents). They could force those schools to join a conference, as well as restructure the conferences. Now this is where it gets a little far fetched and complicated. I mean this is only one scenario. They could leave it as is and just determine the number of rounds and teams that are allowed in.

                          BUT (okay now this is going to be a long post...because I'm bored):

                          RESTRUCTURING:

                          A.C.C: Stays as is.

                          Big 12: Stays as is.

                          Big East:

                          North:

                          Air Force
                          Army
                          Connecticut
                          La Tech
                          Navy
                          Rutgers

                          South:

                          Louisville
                          Syracuse
                          TCU
                          Western Kentucky
                          West Virginia
                          South Florida

                          N.E.C.: (Formerly the Big 10):

                          North:

                          Cincinnati
                          Penn State
                          Pittsburgh
                          Ohio State
                          Michigan
                          Michigan State
                          Notre Dame

                          South:

                          Iowa
                          Illinois
                          Indiana
                          Northwestern
                          Minnesota
                          Purdue
                          Wisconsin

                          C.U.S.A: We'll put UTEP in the Mountain West and replace them with Ball State.

                          Mid-American: We'll just move Bowling Green over to the West division to even things out.

                          P.C.C.:
                          (Formerly the Pac-10) Let's break it down:

                          Pacific:

                          Boise State
                          Oregon
                          Oregon State
                          San Diego State
                          Stanford
                          Washington
                          Washington State

                          Coast:

                          Arizona
                          Arizona State
                          California
                          Fresno State
                          Hawaii
                          USC
                          UCLA

                          Mountain West:

                          East:

                          Colorado State
                          BYU
                          Utah
                          UTEP
                          Wyoming

                          West:

                          Nevada
                          New Mexico
                          New Mexico State
                          UNLV
                          San Jose State

                          Sun Belt: We'll add Idaho and Utah State

                          S.E.C.: Stays as is.

                          Now, I originally had it a little different with a few conferences with more teams... but the stupid Sun Belt messes things up. I guess the easy way out is just to down grade the whole conference (plus Idaho and Utah State) to Division I-AA.

                          I know some of you might not agree with how I set it up, plus I didn't take too much time.. (yeah right lol)... I tried to set it up geographically etc.. as well as programs etc. I could've just made the P.C.C. strictly coastal schools, but the A.C.C. isn't that way either so...

                          also the SB and Mountain West are the only two with less than 12 teams, but I think that could be fixed...because there are a fue with 14 teams. Maybe San Diego and Hawaii could come out of the P.C.C. and then two more teams from somewhere else to make them an even 12...

                          *shrugs* it was fun though... but i'm hungry.

                          oh yeah also note that the WAC and Independents are now disbanded.
                          Last edited by RealBronco; 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM.
                          sigpic

                          DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also, one important thing to note about the way I reconstructed the conferences is that if you're worried or upset that some team made it in with a "powerhouse" conference, like TCU being in the Big East now, etc...

                            Well, you see all that power ranking and strength of schedule goes out the window under a playoff system. So, if we wanted to we could stick Utah State and Idaho or Troy in the SEC... they'd likely never make it to the playoffs, but maybe on a really good year...

                            also as I mentioned before, I think it could still use some tinkering.
                            sigpic

                            DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                              i'd much rather see a 16 team playoff because a lot of teams that deserve to be there will miss out in an 8 team playoff. who would the teams going to the playoffs be? the conference champs of each conference? that would still lead to controversy, are you teling me out of texas, oklahoma, missouri, and texas tech, only one of them deserve to be in the playoffs? and boise state deserves to be there more than the other 3? i think it should be the top 2 teams from each conference going to the playoffs.
                              Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                              I think 16 or more is a good idea. How many teams get into the college basketball playoffs? It's more than 16 right? Because they have a "Sweet 16" round. So still, more than 16 teams would still work out.

                              I think 30 teams would be perfect for a playoff system. This way it would be just like the NFL, you have your regular season games, then the playoffs start the week after the regular season ends, and only #1 and #2 get a 1st round bye. Then it just reduces by half every week until the Championship Game the 1st week of January.

                              That way you have football going until the end of the year, but it doesn't extend past the 1st week of January, that way you aren't compromising students study time in the next semester, but you dont have a 2-3 week gap between the Conference Championship Games and the Bowl Games that you have now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X