Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best College Football team this upcoming season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best College Football team this upcoming season?

Miami!
    Miami Hurricanes
    10.26%
    Louisiana State Tigers
    5.13%
    Southern California Trojans
    10.26%
    Florida State Seminoles
    7.69%
    Oklahoma Sooners
    41.03%
    Michigan Wolverines
    7.69%
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    5.13%
    Georgia Bulldogs
    12.82%
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    0.00%
    Washington State Cougers
    0.00%

USC

Comment

LSU

Comment

A toss up between the Sooners and the Trojans. Jury is out on LSU until we see how their QB plays, but their D will be nasty again.
        I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

I didn't pick favorites here like most of you will but I picked the Georgia Bulldogs.

USC is in trouble right now. They got Rape issues with the team. Running Back Hershel Dennis was suspended from the team. I don't know how long though. I know all this 'cause I live 30 minutes from USC.

Comment

Why are the Gators not up there?GATORS GATORS GATORS.

Comment

Originally posted by DarKliger
              Why are the Gators not up there?GATORS GATORS GATORS.
              The question was not "who's your favorite" but "who is the best team" in College Football. I do like watching the Florida Gators though as well as the rest of the SEC.

Comment

Well i think the Gators will win lol.

Comment

USC is still stacked with the top recruiting class coming in. They'll be very good for a very long time. I think they'll repeat.
                  sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Sooners.
                    Always top 10 defense.
                    #1rated qb in the nation
                    #1rated rb in the nation
                    returning HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER
                    returning record setting pr/kr
                    returning entire OL

2003 SEASON IN REVIEW: It was nearly a season of perfection for head coach Bob Stoops and his Oklahoma Sooners. The regular season went off without a hitch, winning all 12 of their scheduled contests and doing so in dominating fashion. Oklahoma posted resounding wins against Texas (65-13), Iowa State (53-7), Oklahoma State (52-9) and Texas A&M (77-0). However, all of those impressive victories were pretty much forgotten when the team suffered an embarrassing 35-7 loss to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship Game. Amazingly enough the season was not lost for the Sooners, who were still in line to at least come away with a share of the National Championship if they could post a win against LSU in the Sugar Bowl. Instead, Oklahoma suffered a 21-14 loss to the Tigers, making for an offseason that was centered around the longest losing streak in the Stoops era in Norman, two. Although the end of the season came to a screeching halt for the Sooners, they did boast one of the most impressive regular seasons to date and produced a Heisman Trophy winner in quarterback Jason White. One of the more impressive comeback stories in college football last season, White passed for 3,846 yards, 40 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions. He also completed 61.6 percent of his passes and broke numerous school records.

2004 ANALYSIS:

OFFENSE: The Sooners could not have been happy with White's performance in the team's final two games last year, but he is still one of the top quarterbacks in the nation. Injury concerns will always surround White, but he is cool and calm in the pocket, picking apart defenses with relative ease. He throws one of the best deep balls in the country and has an outstanding command of the offense. White's biggest drawback is that he is no longer all that mobile and can sometimes get flustered when under constant pressure. If White is to go down for any length of time, the Sooners have some of the best backups around. Junior Paul Thompson has an amazing arm and is extremely athletic, while freshman Rhett Bomar was the most sought after quarterback recruit in the country last year. Speaking of top recruits, Oklahoma landed tailback Adrian Peterson this offseason, who was widely regarded as the top recruit regardless of position. He will likely see some playing time this year, but junior Kejuan Jones will garner much of the workload. Jones is a shifty back who waits for his blockers and flies through holes once they open. The wide receiving corps is probably the best in the country, with Mark Clayton leading the way. Clayton had a breakout campaign in '03, hauling in 83 balls for 1,425 yards and 15 touchdowns. Brandon Jones, Jejuan Rankins and Will Peoples would likely all be No.1 receivers on just about any other team, giving White several game- breaking options from which to choose.

DEFENSE: Oklahoma's defense was again one of the best in the nation last year, ranking 20th against the run (113.2 ypg) and second versus the pass (146.4 ypg). Amazingly, the Sooners return all but one starter from the secondary and only have to replace three starters on the entire unit. Antonio Perkins and Eric Bassey should be dominant, shutdown corners, while Brodney Pool and Donte Nicholson play center field at the safety positions. Nicholson has quickly turned into one of the best strong safeties in the Big 12, finishing last season with 90 tackles, six sacks and 10 TFLs. The defensive line will again be one of the best around, mostly due to outstanding ends Dan Cody and Jonathan Jackson. Cody proved his worth last season by posting 43 tackles, 10 sacks and 17 TFLs. There are some concerns because of a history of injuries with Cody, but when healthy he is a dominating force using his quickness and size. A second Team All-Big 12 member last year, Jackson has a knack for finding his way into the backfield. Jackson contributed five sacks, 11 TFLs and a team-best 26 quarterback hurries to go along with 48 tackles in '03. The one area of concern for the Sooners has to be at linebacker, as they lost one of the top players at the position in Teddy Lehman. Middle linebacker Lance Mitchell is the best of the bunch, despite the fact that he is coming off an injury-riddled campaign. Mitchell tore his ACL early last year, stopping what probably would have been his breakout season. The senior standout is now fully recovered and should be a tackling machine for Oklahoma this fall.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Placekicker Trey DiCarlo was one of the Sooners' unsung stars last year, making 19-of-22 field goal attempts and 74-of-76 extra points. Two of his missed field goals came in the loss to Kansas State and although he does not have an outstanding leg, he is amazingly consistent and should be a finalist for the Lou Groza Award. Punter Blake Ferguson averaged 41.9 ypp last year and placed 18 of his kicks inside the 20-yard line. He seems to be getting better each year and should enjoy another successful season in 2004. Perkins is one of the most electric punt returners in the nation and dazzled last season in a win against UCLA, returning three punts for touchdowns. He has a chance to break the NCAA's career punt return for touchdowns record this season, but more and more teams are preferring to keep the ball away from him.

OUTLOOK: The 2003 Sooners were being touted as one of the greatest teams in college football history, but that was before their awful finish. The bad taste left in the mouths of Stoops' players should be fuel for them to accept nothing less than a National Championship in 2004. Oklahoma is loaded from top to bottom and if injuries occur, the Sooners have so much depth that they can just plug in an above-average starter at any position. This year's schedule is not taylor made for the team to finish with a perfect record, but there is a strong chance of it still happening. The Sooners should fly out of the gates with a 4-0 mark, but will have to face Texas and Kansas State (on the road) in consecutive weeks. Oklahoma will also play three of its last four games away from Norman and the only home contest is against an improving Nebraska squad. Stoops is arguably the top college coach today and he knows that using the anger from last season's demise will fuel this year's squad to hopefully finish what they started in 2003.
                    Last edited by rcsodak; 08-20-2004, 07:28 PM.
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

usc

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                        Sooners.
                        Always top 10 defense.
                        #1rated qb in the nation
                        #1rated rb in the nation
                        returning HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER
                        returning record setting pr/kr
                        returning entire OL

However, all of those impressive victories were pretty much forgotten when the team suffered an embarrassing 35-7 loss to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship Game.
                        I almost forgot about that game! LOL! I hope that line of yours has learned to run block!

By the way, why is WSU on this list? Texas, Cal, Florida, and West Virginia all have a better chance of winning it all than WSU.

Oh yeah, I picked USC although I think Georgia, Florida, OU, Texas, and LSU will all be great teams.

I also say as long as Brock is there the Hurrigangsters are DOOOMED!

Sproles for Heisman! (Man I hope Dylan Meier can do anything!)

Cody J. Esquire
                        "I'm not arrogant either but I am as close to being an expert on the game as anyone on this site will ever get." Zack Morris
                        "These people need me." Zack Morris
                        "Yes, [Vick] has a cannon. But he's also accurate." Zack Morris
                        "I've sat and watched Vick throw more accurate passes than most of the starting quarterbacks in the leaue on a weekly basis." Zack Morris
                        "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE DOES NOT INDICATE HOW ACCURATE A QUARTERBACK IS." Zack Morris
                        "McNairs WRs make him look a hell of alot better than he really is." Zack Morris
                        "The Titans have arguably the best receiving core [sic] in the NFL." Zack Morris
                        "Charlie Joiner was not that good." Zack Morris
                        "Lynn Swan [sic] is generally regarded as one of the most overrated players in the hall...BUT OVERRATED PLAYERS MADE IT IN ALOT BACK THEN." (Swann inducted in 2001) Zack Morris
                        "With Harrison, Wayne, and another able TE on his own team, I have my doubts [Jason] Witten will do that maybe in a couple of years." Zack Morris
                        "Neener neener!" Zack Morris

LONG LIVE THE EXPERT!

Comment

2003 was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly all rolled into 1.
                          But hey......this is a new year.......

cody, wager?
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

cody, wager?
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

cody, wager?
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X