X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mountain West Expansion Rumors

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/200..._mountain_west

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...-mountain-west

So I was talking Boise State football at Thanksgiving dinner with my grandpa and he seems to think we'll be moved to the Mountain West by 2010.

So I come home and browse a little and find a few articles about it that happen to be very recent (within the week).

Now at this time it's all just speculation and rumor but the articles talk about an invite being extended to Boise State to join the Mountain West soon. Obviously both sides deny the invitation.

It would also not happen until 2010 because Boise State needs a year to notify the WAC of it's exodus.

Now IF this happens:

1. Obviously Boise State would be in a better position to get better competition.

2. The MWC would benefit because then it would have at least four perennial contenders for their own conference champion (BYU, Utah, TCU and BSU).

3. An even further expansion by bringing in say, Nevada and another Texas team or even pulling Colorado from the Big 12 could help the MWC negotiate an automatic BCS berth for the conference by having enough teams to send a champion to the bowls each year. This is actually a possibility (maybe not pulling CO away...) in that the MWC could negotiate a contract deal that would give them an auto berth if they strengthened and expanded the conference.

4. The downside for Boise would be the exposure. With the ridiculously lame tv deal the MW has, Boise would lose a lot of tv time. We currently get aired on ESPN 4 or 5 times a year, helping with our recruiting.

5. Strengthening the conference by adding BSU would make it more appealing to the BCS even without the auto berth.

6. Boise State is 12-0 against the Mountain West... and it'd be a definite powerhouse within the conference.

There's probably more. But the deal sealer for BSU would be if the expansion caused the BCS to consider giving the conference an auto-berth. It would make it worth losing the nice TV contract, unless that also was part of the move... if they renegotiated and got the Mountain West a better tv contract.

but as of right now nothing's confirmed, and everything is denied... but it's interesting...

I for one would rather move to the Pac-10 but since that conference has no desire to expand whatsoever in the near or probably not so near future... the Mountain West is the next best choice. If we were on the east coast the Big East would be a no brainer, because BSU would probably do really well in the Big East.

What are your thoughts guys? Seriously... I know you all give me a lot of heat for BSU but... since the move keeps growing more and more likely to happen... it should be a great topic to discuss?
    Last edited by RealBronco; 11-27-2008, 11:14 PM.
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Sigh... While I would like the Mountain West to get more recognition...

I think this would hurt UW(WY) a bit more than it would help it.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      Sigh... While I would like the Mountain West to get more recognition...

I think this would hurt UW(WY) a bit more than it would help it.
      lol. well perhaps but that's okay by us.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
        lol. well perhaps but that's okay by us.
        You'd lose a semi-fan if you beat up on my team.

Comment

Eh. Getting there, still not what you COULD play against.

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
            Eh. Getting there, still not what you COULD play against.
            i know... but it's another stepping stone.

geographically, there's really no other conference that makes sense. i mean it'd be sweet to get invited to the Big East... but that just wouldn't make any sense. lol

the only two BCS Conferences that geographically make sense are the Pac-10 and Big 12 since they've got Colorado in there...but then they wouldn't be 12 anymore...

I'd love to get invited to the Pac-10... they could expand it by two and split it into North and South and have a championship game like the ACC and such...

I guess that's the idea behind expanding the MWC enough to have 12 teams and split it, allowing for a conference champion to get an auto-bid.

*shrugs*

i can hope right?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post

I'd love to get invited to the Pac-10... they could expand it by two and split it into North and South and have a championship game like the ACC and such...
              I like that idea. But the chances are slim.
              www.allbuffs.com

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffs99 View Post
                I like that idea. But the chances are slim.
                i know

greedy, stupid, snobby, stuck up Pac-10...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X