Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New NCAA Division I-A

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The New NCAA Division I-A

    Alright. I think my job has provided me with too much time on my hands. So I've had a little fun and come up with college football under a restructured, improved system that bids goodbye to the biased BCS system, the rankings that include the AP Poll, USA Today and BCS polls, and the strength of schedule bias (unless needed for tie-breaker).

    So.. first allow me to introduce you to the newly restructured conferences that each consist of 12 teams and 2 divisions. This consolidates some conferences, eliminating the Independents, WAC and Sun Belt. Some Conferences remain unchanged.

    The UNCHANGED:

    A.C.C., Big 12, S.E.C. and Conference U.S.A.

    The CHANGED:

    Northeastern Conference or N.E.C. (formerly the Big 10)

    North:

    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State
    Penn State

    South:

    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Northwestern
    Purdue
    Wisconsin

    BIG EAST:

    North:

    Army
    Buffalo
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Navy
    Rutgars

    South:

    Louisville
    Pittsburgh
    Syracuse
    South Florida
    Western Kentucky
    West Virginia

    MID-AMERICAN:

    East:

    Akron
    Bowling Green
    Kent State
    Miami (OH)
    Ohio
    Temple

    West:

    Ball State
    Central Michigan
    Eastern Michigan
    Northern Illinois
    Toledo
    Western Michigan

    The Pacific Coast Conference or P.C.C. (formerly Pac-10):

    Pacific:

    Boise State
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    Washington
    Washington State

    Coast:

    Arizona
    Arizona State
    California
    Fresno State
    USC
    UCLA

    MOUNTAIN WEST:

    East:

    Colorado State
    Louisiana Tech
    Nevada
    New Mexico
    TCU
    UNLV

    West:

    Air Force
    BYU
    Hawaii
    San Diego State
    San Jose State
    Utah

    The Central American Conference or C.A.C. (formerly Sun Belt, MW and WAC)

    East:

    Arkansas State
    Florida Atlantic
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    New Mexico State
    North Texas
    Wyoming

    West:

    Idaho
    Florida International
    Louisiana-Monroe
    Middle Tennessee State
    Troy
    Utah State

    (continued with Playoff Formula)...
    Last edited by RealBronco; 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM.
    sigpic

    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

  • #2
    The Playoff System:

    Alright, I've come up with this after combining a few ideas I've had and 97 gave me some good ideas, and a couple of other guys in the other thread. So props to you guys too! I hope you like this, and feel free to make suggestions to this AND the conference structures. Keep in mind the conferences are evenly divided now and must stay that way.

    So, here's what the playoffs would look like under the new Division I-A system.

    First, a quick explanation. There are now ten conferences that each have 12 teams in them, that are divided into two divisions each.

    This will allow a great playoff system that still includes a lot of teams. I believe this is similar to college basketball, at least in numbers. I know they do things different... but anyway.

    Now, each conference will have a Conference Champion, a Divisional Champion, and a Runner Up. This will make up the 30 team playoff grid.

    There will always be two teams that are allowed a first round bye due to their record, tie-breaking and if need be, strength of schedule. So if a team is undefeated, it can have a shot at the first round bye. In the event of more than two teams that are undefeated, other factors will have to come into play in order to determine them (here's where suggestions are helpful, but keep in mind there is no longer a polling system or BCS system).

    The Champions (first in their conferences):

    Miami (ACC)
    Florida (SEC)
    Oklahoma (Big12)
    Tulsa (CUSA)
    Penn State (NEC)
    Louisville (Big East)
    Ball State (MAC)
    Boise State (PCC)
    Utah (MWC)
    Troy (CAC)

    The Divisional winners (first place in non-champion division*):

    Boston College (ACC-Atlantic)
    Alabama (SEC-West)
    Missouri (Big 12-North)
    Marshall (CUSA-East)
    Iowa (NEC-South)
    Rutgars (Big East-North)
    Bowling Green (MAC-East)
    USC (PCC-Coast)
    TCU (MWC-West)
    Wyoming (CAC-East)

    *-these can vary. there will always be at least one team from each division. also there will always be one division with TWO representatives, whether it be the champion's division or not. Record comes into play here).

    The Runner Up (the team with the best record that is in 2nd place in either division and NOT the conference or divisional champion):

    Georgia Tech (ACC-Coastal)
    Georgia (SEC-West)
    Texas (Big12-South)
    Southern Miss (CUSA-East)
    Notre Dame (NEC-North)
    Pittsburgh (Big East-South)
    Eastern Michigan (MAC-West)
    Oregon (PCC-Pacific)
    BYU (MWC-West)
    North Texas (CAC-East)

    (continued with playoff mockup....)
    Last edited by RealBronco; 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM.
    sigpic

    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like it, but why in the "C.S.C" are there 2 florida teams and 2 louisiana teams in the WEST with wyo and utah st in the EAST? MWC with hawaii, san diego st in the East?
      sigpic
      Thanks Blondie79!
      All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
      Team Tebow #15

      Adopted NFL Player:
      "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

      Comment


      • #4
        Playoff Mock:

        Welcome to the WAR IN DECEMBER

        The JUGGERNAUT round:

        (first week in December. 28 teams, 14 games).

        Miami vs. Wyoming
        Oklahoma vs. Notre Dame
        Tulsa vs. BYU
        Penn St. vs. Missouri
        Louisville vs. Boston College
        Ball St. vs. Texas
        Utah vs. Georgia
        Troy vs. Bowling Green
        Alabama vs. Oregon
        Marshall vs. Eastern Michigan
        Iowa vs. Georgia Tech
        Rutgars vs. North Texas
        USC vs. Pittsburgh
        TCU vs. Southern Miss

        The COLOSSAL round:

        (second week in December. 16 teams, 8 games).

        *Boise State vs. Boston College
        *Florida vs. Eastern Michigan
        Miami vs. Utah
        Notre Dame vs. North Texas
        BYU vs. Alabama
        Penn St. vs. Troy
        Texas vs. USC
        Iowa vs. TCU

        *-first round bye

        The GRIDIRON round:

        (3rd week in December. 8 teams, 4 games).

        Boise State vs. Notre Dame
        Florida vs. Iowa
        Utah vs. Alabama
        Troy vs. USC

        The ARMAGEDDON round:

        (4th week in December. 4 teams, 2 games).

        Boise State vs. Alabama
        Florida vs. USC

        THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:

        Boise State vs. USC

        The NCAA Division I-A National Champion:

        BOISE STATE (that's right, my mock up... i can choose if i want.. )

        also... look at how many teams get their shot at the National Title in this system who would normally never even dream of it. But now they can finally at least have a SHOT at their dreams of becoming champions under a playoff system :salute!:

        Hope you guys enjoyed! Also, 97, sorry about the name changes. I like mine better lol. But maybe others would be more suitable. But I wanted powerful names since this is football we're talkin about.

        Maybe they could have a vote off or poll the public to decide, like they do with team mascots sometimes.
        sigpic

        DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GatorChomp View Post
          I like it, but why in the "C.S.C" are there 2 florida teams and 2 louisiana teams in the WEST with wyo and utah st in the EAST? MWC with hawaii, san diego st in the East?
          because i was getting antsy and just wanted the conferences and divisions to be even for the time being. lol

          those two conferences are probably the ones that could use more work...

          like it'd be fine for there to be one florida team in each division in the C.A.C. and they could switch up in the MWC. *shrugs*

          *EDIT*

          okay i went in and fixed it. i think i just got lazy and mixed up the divisions. also, some things are inevitable. i tried to keep it as geographical as i could, but like you said, it's probably better to have the two Florida teams and Louisiana teams to be in separate divisions.

          now unfortunately some stuff is not going to change. like now both San Jose and San Diego are in the same division...etc. but that'll happen in every conference as it does currently.
          Last edited by RealBronco; 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM.
          sigpic

          DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks really good to me... plus every year the Championship game could rotate bowls... such as Rose Bowl one year and Orange Bowl the next and so on, that way each Bowl would also get a chance to host the National Championship game and get the big ratings. Who wouldn't want to watch the Chik-fil-a Bowl for the championship?? :salute!:

            I guess the only problem I really see is having 5 extra games, but I'm not sure how you would cut out a round or 2 and still make it fair.

            I agree overall tho.. Kent State should have the chance at the national title every year, just like USC or some of the other power house teams do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
              Welcome to the WAR IN DECEMBER

              The JUGGERNAUT round:

              (first week in December. 28 teams, 14 games).

              Miami vs. Wyoming
              Oklahoma vs. Notre Dame
              Tulsa vs. BYU
              Penn St. vs. Missouri
              Louisville vs. Boston College
              Ball St. vs. Texas
              Utah vs. Georgia
              Troy vs. Bowling Green
              Alabama vs. Oregon
              Marshall vs. Eastern Michigan
              Iowa vs. Georgia Tech
              Rutgars vs. North Texas
              USC vs. Pittsburgh
              TCU vs. Southern Miss

              The COLOSSAL round:

              (second week in December. 16 teams, 8 games).

              *Boise State vs. Boston College
              *Florida vs. Eastern Michigan
              Miami vs. Utah
              Notre Dame vs. North Texas
              BYU vs. Alabama
              Penn St. vs. Troy
              Texas vs. USC
              Iowa vs. TCU

              *-first round bye

              The GRIDIRON round:

              (3rd week in December. 8 teams, 4 games).

              Boise State vs. Notre Dame
              Florida vs. Iowa
              Utah vs. Alabama
              Troy vs. USC

              The ARMAGEDDON round:

              (4th week in December. 4 teams, 2 games).

              Boise State vs. Alabama
              Florida vs. USC

              THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:

              Boise State vs. USC

              The NCAA Division I-A National Champion:

              BOISE STATE (that's right, my mock up... i can choose if i want.. )

              also... look at how many teams get their shot at the National Title in this system who would normally never even dream of it. But now they can finally at least have a SHOT at their dreams of becoming champions under a playoff system :salute!:

              Hope you guys enjoyed! Also, 97, sorry about the name changes. I like mine better lol. But maybe others would be more suitable. But I wanted powerful names since this is football we're talkin about.

              Maybe they could have a vote off or poll the public to decide, like they do with team mascots sometimes.


              You must be smoking some SERIOUS CRACK if you think for a second that Notre Dame would even come close to beating Oklahoma. I mean, some SERIOUS crack. Even your second round matchup of Notre Dame against North Texas is highly questionable, at best.

              I dont even know what else to say.



              sigpic


              Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Straz1999 View Post
                You must be smoking some SERIOUS CRACK if you think for a second that Notre Dame would even come close to beating Oklahoma. I mean, some SERIOUS crack. Even your second round matchup of Notre Dame against North Texas is highly questionable, at best.

                I dont even know what else to say.
                You're missin' the point.

                Also just because ND sucks now doesn't mean they've always sucked. You can thank Weis for that...

                You must be a Notre Dame hater lol. I for one am not... but that's not the point.

                This is the whole point of a playoff. It gives teams that would never dream of winning any sort of big game ever a shot at just that. Hence the reason teams like North Texas and Tulsa etc are in the playoffs in my mock.

                Also, realize I'm not basing any of this off of this year's standings or the current teams and their ranks or how good the current teams are. Otherwise ND would likely have been at home watching the playoffs.

                I think i'd have to be on something for sure if I really thought some of these teams had a chance this season But that's the beauty of the playoff system...

                Plus I randomized it pretty much, and picked teams I like dang it.:salute!:
                sigpic

                DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                  You're missin' the point.

                  Also just because ND sucks now doesn't mean they've always sucked. You can thank Weis for that...

                  You must be a Notre Dame hater lol. I for one am not... but that's not the point.

                  This is the whole point of a playoff. It gives teams that would never dream of winning any sort of big game ever a shot at just that. Hence the reason teams like North Texas and Tulsa etc are in the playoffs in my mock.

                  Also, realize I'm not basing any of this off of this year's standings or the current teams and their ranks or how good the current teams are. Otherwise ND would likely have been at home watching the playoffs.

                  I think i'd have to be on something for sure if I really thought some of these teams had a chance this season But that's the beauty of the playoff system...

                  Plus I randomized it pretty much, and picked teams I like dang it.:salute!:


                  I gotcha....and for the record, yes I am a Notre Dame hater. Some of my in-laws are alums and do nothing but talk about how high and mighty they are. Kinda gets old at the turkey table, if you know what I mean.

                  Anyways, I agree with you for the playoff, but I'm not so sure of the format. For one in this, the regular season would have to be reduced. I like the 12 game schedule, myself. I am just a firm believer in an 8 team playoff. Use the BCS to determine the top 8 and take out the human element, that way there is no biased opinion to effect the game. If this happened, Mack Brown would have to run for the Senate seat in Texas, because there would be nothing else to campaign for.

                  Anyways, sorry to not read your post thoroughly.:salute!:



                  sigpic


                  Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Straz1999 View Post
                    I gotcha....and for the record, yes I am a Notre Dame hater. Some of my in-laws are alums and do nothing but talk about how high and mighty they are. Kinda gets old at the turkey table, if you know what I mean.

                    Anyways, I agree with you for the playoff, but I'm not so sure of the format. For one in this, the regular season would have to be reduced. I like the 12 game schedule, myself. I am just a firm believer in an 8 team playoff. Use the BCS to determine the top 8 and take out the human element, that way there is no biased opinion to effect the game. If this happened, Mack Brown would have to run for the Senate seat in Texas, because there would be nothing else to campaign for.

                    Anyways, sorry to not read your post thoroughly.:salute!:
                    no worries. lol. i just want to make sure everyone understands, so questions are certainly welcome.

                    also the regular season really wouldn't need to be reduced... as you know there are only a handful of teams that are still playing and all that would have to happen to fix this is either starting a week or two earlier... or eliminating that ridiculous thing where some teams get two bye weeks. huh?

                    I mean, Boise State is done with their season already and they played 12 games... they could be prepared already for a full run of playoff action throughout the month of December.

                    Also, I hear where you're comin' from with the in-laws. Just tell 'em they don't have any room to talk because "Front-Butts" (as 97 calls him) hasn't done that program any good since he got there!

                    One other point... I'm not so sure about an 8 team playoff. It works well for the NFL because there are less teams. This way it gives every conference a chance at sending a team to compete for the championship. Also I was thinking about this today:

                    I realize college basketball still uses a polling or ranking system, but at the same time it really has no bearing on who goes to the playoffs. You can still go if you're not ranked. With that in mind, I'm apprehensive about allowing a polling system to remain in football due to its history of being biased. Also since strength of schedule is almost a non-factor under this new system, a ranking would almost serve no purpose. The only purpose it could help out would be determining which two teams get the first round bye.

                    I fear that a ranking system left in place with the intention of picking who goes to the playoffs would still cause problems and still leave deserving teams out of the picture inevitably. Maybe if the rankings were extended to the "Top 30" or even reduced to the "Top 20" and then the other ten would still get decided the way I explained earlier.


                    This would be something that would need further discussion and suggestion, because it COULD still work under the new system. It would just have to be done correctly.

                    *EDIT*

                    also as soon as i hit submit, i thought of this: I think another way to keep the ranking system would be if this were the system that merely determined the seed a team were to get in the playoffs. This would make it possible for the ranking system to decide the two teams that earn the first round bye as well as determine who plays who in each round. This could be a great way to make each round a little more fair. If you perform well, you get a higher seed in the playoffs...
                    Last edited by RealBronco; 12-03-2008, 09:36 PM.
                    sigpic

                    DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      bump.....

                      i think it'd be cool to get others' scenarios added in here if you guys have thought of any yourselves?

                      chime in!
                      sigpic

                      DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like it, however Hawaii would be in the Pac 10 before Boise. Imvho

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                          I like it, however Hawaii would be in the Pac 10 before Boise. Imvho
                          lol. .... solely on the basis of their geography... but.. definitely not based on being good enough (but i guess since i didn't base it on that... too much )

                          I originally had them in there when I had the P.C.C. with 14 teams instead of 12... but then I evened everything out.

                          Also I think people would've been outraged had I put teams like Louisiana-Lafayette in the SEC or something lol... even though it's not based on power anymore... I still doubt L-L would survive in the SEC...

                          and Hawaii wouldn't survive in the P.C.C. because regardless of the changes, those schools are still going to be good... but maybe eventually Hawaii would cash in on the success of the P.C.C. and take some of that money to improve... which is another good point to think about. These teams can now get better because if they're sending reps to the playoffs every season, they can earn extra money for their conferences (kinda like now...only with more money).

                          So then teams like Troy and even as much as I'd hate to say it, maybe even a team like University of Idaho would be able to improve their programs enough to have a shot at the title.

                          :salute!: it still needs some more tweaking i think. Where would you put BSU? I guess they logically and location-wise fit better in the Mountain West... but I wanted them in a conference that would challenge them :salute!:
                          sigpic

                          DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                            lol. .... solely on the basis of their geography... but.. definitely not based on being good enough (but i guess since i didn't base it on that... too much )

                            I originally had them in there when I had the P.C.C. with 14 teams instead of 12... but then I evened everything out.

                            Also I think people would've been outraged had I put teams like Louisiana-Lafayette in the SEC or something lol... even though it's not based on power anymore... I still doubt L-L would survive in the SEC...

                            and Hawaii wouldn't survive in the P.C.C. because regardless of the changes, those schools are still going to be good... but maybe eventually Hawaii would cash in on the success of the P.C.C. and take some of that money to improve... which is another good point to think about. These teams can now get better because if they're sending reps to the playoffs every season, they can earn extra money for their conferences (kinda like now...only with more money).

                            So then teams like Troy and even as much as I'd hate to say it, maybe even a team like University of Idaho would be able to improve their programs enough to have a shot at the title.

                            :salute!: it still needs some more tweaking i think. Where would you put BSU? I guess they logically and location-wise fit better in the Mountain West... but I wanted them in a conference that would challenge them :salute!:
                            Well if you make the argument that Hawaii isn't good enough, what's Baylor and Iowa State doing in the Big XII still?

                            Just saying, if it was soley on being "good enough" that's kinda a joke.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                              Well if you make the argument that Hawaii isn't good enough, what's Baylor and Iowa State doing in the Big XII still?

                              Just saying, if it was soley on being "good enough" that's kinda a joke.
                              lol well what are they doing in the Big XII in the first place?

                              anyway... exactly. also San Diego State would make sense to put in the P.C.C. as well as San Jose State... But somebody has to be left out because there are only supposed to be 12 teams per conference... so perhaps someone would get kicked out... Oregon State? or Arizona? *shrugs*
                              sigpic

                              DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X