Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jo-Pa?!?!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jo-Pa?!?!?

    What?!?!?!


    Penn State coach Joe Paterno has a new three-year contract extension to go along with his new hip.

    The Hall of Famer and winningest coach in major college football history has agreed to deal that runs through the 2011 season. JoePa turns 82 on Dec. 21.

    The extension was first reported by FightOnState.com.

    The agreement will provide "for the opportunity of Coach Joe Paterno leading the football program through the 2011 season," the statement said. JoePa turns 82 on Sunday.

    "It was also agreed that the parties might reevaluate their circumstances and alter the arrangement by either shortening or extending its length as necessary," the statement said.

    The agreement ends months of speculation about Paterno's future since his current deal had expired following this season. University president Graham Spanier and Paterno had announced in the spring that Paterno didn't need something in writing to stay on a job he's had a record 43 years.

    Yet contract questions still dogged both sides until Nov. 22, when Paterno said after the Big Ten title-clinching win over Michigan State that he planned to return in 2009.

    He had hip replacement surgery the next day. Back on his feet and easing back into his coaching routine, Paterno told reporters last week that he wasn't worried about getting an extension done before the No. 6 Nittany Lions play No. 5 Southern California in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

    "If we can work out something that they are comfortable with and I'm comfortable with before the bowl, fine," Paterno said. "I just get tired of recruits asking me, 'How long are you going to be there? But most of them are fine."

    Terms of the extension were not announced.

    Records released by the State Employees Retirement System last year put his 2007 salary at about $512,000. The state data did not reflect other sources of compensation such as bonuses or outside income.

    As for his health, Paterno has said he is feeling fine and that rehab is going well. He's eager to get back to the sideline, where he hasn't coached from since late September.

    Paterno stayed vague about how much longer he thought he could coach.

    "There's no reason for me not to think that I can go for a while," he said. "Now how long is a while? I don't know."

    Counting Paterno's 16 seasons as a Penn State assistant before taking the head-coaching job in 1966, the 2009 campaign would be JoePa's 60th year on the Nittany Lion coaching staff.

    Also Tuesday, Penn State sophomore Aaron Maybin was selected a first-team AP All-American. The defensive end is fourth in the nation with 12 sacks.

    Center A.Q. Shipley was picked to the second team, while guard Rich Ohrnberger and receiver and return man Derrick Williams were named to the third team.


    Im not a big college ball guy, but it's going to be devestating when Jo-Pa finally hangs em up. :salute!: to you SIR!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



  • #2
    As sad as it is, I think Joe-Pa will pass away very shortly after he hangs it up. Him and Bobby Bowden both. This jut has been there life for so long, I dont think theyre going to have a will really to continue on. :salute!: to both men for defining college football excellence.
    sigpic

    I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by draco193 View Post
      As sad as it is, I think Joe-Pa will pass away very shortly after he hangs it up. Him and Bobby Bowden both. This jut has been there life for so long, I dont think theyre going to have a will really to continue on. :salute!: to both men for defining college football excellence.

      Actually, I remember not too long ago Jo-Pa said that in an interview. He basically said that he's afraid to retire because this IS his life. He doesn't have fishing or hunting or golf or anything else to "do" other then coach. It is sad... but the guy has carved a legacy like no other!!!
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        Actually, I remember not too long ago Jo-Pa said that in an interview. He basically said that he's afraid to retire because this IS his life. He doesn't have fishing or hunting or golf or anything else to "do" other then coach. It is sad... but the guy has carved a legacy like no other!!!
        *cough* Bobby Bowden.


        Before Bowden FSU was a garbage football team... FSU now has the longest active bowl streak since Michigan sucks this year. 26 straight years (1982- present)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Alcaeus15 View Post
          *cough* Bobby Bowden.


          Before Bowden FSU was a garbage football team... FSU now has the longest active bowl streak since Michigan sucks this year. 26 straight years (1982- present)
          Yeah... very true.. let me fix it...


          The guy has carved a legacy like few others.
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
            He doesn't have fishing or hunting or golf or anything else to "do" other then coach.


            Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
            JoePa turns 82 on Dec. 21.
            Ummm.....enough said. The dude doesn't have any of those other things cause he's freaking 82. It'd take him six days to golf 18 holes.
            sigpic
            Hate Brandon Marshall and his drops? READ THIS!
            Super Bowl XXXII Run Statistics
            My Divisional Breakdown Thread

            Our Offensive Line = Mile Wide

            Comment


            • #7
              Paterno is awesome. Congrats to a good move by Penn State.

              Paterno maybe isn't more than figurehead, but the kids love him.

              PLUS its an easy decision to make when he gives most of the money back to the school.
              sigpic

              Hooray, beer!

              Comment


              • #8
                Paterno and Bowden are just figure heads on the sidelines now anyway. Let them stay as long as they want to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bronco Axe View Post
                  Paterno and Bowden are just figure heads on the sidelines now anyway. Let them stay as long as they want to.
                  Is Paterno? I thought he still called the plays.

                  Bowden is definitely not doing as much as Paterno, though. He's sort of letting that bum Jimbo Fisher run the offense. Damn, I hate Jimbo Fisher.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alcaeus15 View Post
                    Is Paterno? I thought he still called the plays.

                    Bowden is definitely not doing as much as Paterno, though. He's sort of letting that bum Jimbo Fisher run the offense. Damn, I hate Jimbo Fisher.
                    No, Paterno hasn't been a Offensive Cordinator for quite a few years now. But in their haydays of the 80s, he was about as good as it gets!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X