Vermont football team wins after crazy fumble recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont football team wins after crazy fumble recovery

Despite being down two points and having its kicker miss a 46-yard field goal as time expired, the Jericho Mount Mansfield high school football team won a game last weekend thanks to one of the craziest, and boneheaded, plays you'll ever see.

To set the scene, Vermont's Jericho Mount Mansfield high school lined up to kick a field goal with 1.3 seconds left in an attempt to win its game over Otter Valley. Two Otter Valley players went back to the endzone to catch the potentially short field goal. And then this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JpJ...ayer_embedded#

Even though the ball would have been dead if it fell short of the crossbar, the Otter Valley player caught it, celebrated the impending victory by spiking a live ball and then saw an opposing player scoop it up for the most improbable of wins. The Otter Valley player, Casey Babcock, immediately realized his mistake after dropping the ball, but it was far too late.

Babcock is going to get all the blame here, but what about the coach who placed the two players in the endzone to catch the field goal attempt? The Otters had a two point lead. Once the field goal missed, the game would have been over. There was no reason, or benefit, to send players back to recover a missed attempt.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post
    There was no reason, or benefit, to send players back to recover a missed attempt.
    Maybe in case they ran a fake?

That's the only thing I can think of.

One thing I do know, that kid got ran until he puked next practice.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Yeah I saw this at the OM yesterday.

Man, I'd hate to be him at school.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Maybe in case they ran a fake?

That's the only thing I can think of.

One thing I do know, that kid got ran until he puked next practice.
        I guess they could have been prepared for the fake.

That was the ONLY way that team could have lost other than if the kick was good.
        sigpic

Comment

You guys want to see a crazy fumble recovery?

This is how my HS team lost in the state semifinals a couple years ago...The game was tied 14-14 with 2 minutes to go in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPS9VDeT8U

Comment

Working...
          X