Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death to the BCS

http://www.amazon.com/Death-BCS-Defi...pr_product_top

It is $10... Anyone read it yet? It looks like a great read.

Product Description
    A team of award-winning sports reporters takes down the Great Satan of college sports: the Bowl Championship Series.

Every college sport picks its champion by a postseason tournament, except for one: Division I-A football. Instead of a tournament, fans are subjected to the Bowl Championship Series, an arcane mix of polling and mathematical rankings that results in just two teams playing for the championship. It is, without a doubt, the most hated institution in all of sports. A recent Sports Illustrated poll found that more than 90 percent of sports fans oppose the BCS, yet this system has remained in place for more than a decade. Built upon top-notch investigative reporting, Death to the BCS at last reveals the truth about this monstrous entity and offers a simple solution for fixing it.

Death to the BCS includes findings from interviews with power players, as well as research into federal tax records, Congressional testimony, and private contracts, revealing:

•The truth behind the "Cartel"-the anonymous suits who run the BCS and who profit handsomely by protecting it

•The flawed math and corruption that determine which teams participate in the national championship

•How the system hurts competition by perpetuating "cupcake" schedules

•How "mid-major" teams are systematically denied a chance to play for the championship

•How a comprehensive sixteen-team playoff plan can solve the problem while enhancing profitability

The first book to lay out the unseemly inner workings of the BCS in full detail, Death to the BCS is a rousing manifesto for bringing fairness back to one of our most beloved sports.
    About the Author
    Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter, and Jeff Passan write for Yahoo! Sports, the most read sports site on the Web. Wetzel has coauthored four books, including the New York Times bestseller Resilience: Faith, Focus, Triumph with Alonzo Mourning, and lives in Michigan. Peter is an award-winning investigative journalist who has earned national attention for his reporting on the Bowl Championship Series. In 2005, he was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for a series on race and high school football in the South. He lives in Los Angeles. Passan has won multiple Associated Press sports editors awards and lives in Kansas.
    I want to read it...

Death to Fresno State..........

Every1 else is cool......
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
      Death to Fresno State..........

Every1 else is cool......
      Remember that year when fresno state beat Arizona State in the NCAA baseball tourney and went on to win the national championship in 2008? Take a glance or two at my sig

Comment

I wonder if there's an audiobook out for it.
        Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
        sigpic

Comment

It all boils down to the Major Confrences profiting from this system. Figure out how to stop that , then you will get them on board for a playoff!:thumb:
          sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

I feel like I'm living in Bizarro-world with no college playoff.

It seems so obvious that we should have one.

Comment

I have felt this way for a long time.

After an undefeated 2008 season, Utah defeated Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl, 1-2-09. They were ranked second. If they had been from a BCS conference at that time it might have been different.

To me it was extremely insulting when the BCS had Boise State and TCU play each other in the Fiesta Bowl in 2010. They just couldn't stand seeing another non-BCS team defeat one of their own.

People talk about level of competition, but it doesn't hold water. Without the recruiting draw of a BCS school, Boise State has actually lifted the level of football competition in the WAC to the point that the four strongest programs are joining the MWC to replace Utah, BYU and TCU who have graduated to other stuff.

It will be interesting to see if TCU gets better recruits as they venture into the Big East. TCU will have the same opportunity West Virginia had in 2007 to go undefeated in a BCS conference and advance to the "chamionship".

I'll stack the coaching in most of the MWC and WAC football programs up against any other conference. With better recruiting on a level playing field, they would be competitive with any colleges in the west; actually they already are.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                After an undefeated 2008 season, Utah defeated Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl, 1-2-09. They were ranked second. If they had been from a BCS conference at that time it might have been different.

To me it was extremely insulting when the BCS had Boise State and TCU play each other in the Fiesta Bowl in 2010. They just couldn't stand seeing another non-BCS team defeat one of their own.

People talk about level of competition, but it doesn't hold water. Without the recruiting draw of a BCS school, Boise State has actually lifted the level of football competition in the WAC to the point that the four strongest programs are joining the MWC to replace Utah, BYU and TCU who have graduated to other stuff.

It will be interesting to see if TCU gets better recruits as they venture into the Big East. TCU will have the same opportunity West Virginia had in 2007 to go undefeated in a BCS conference and advance to the "championship".

I'll stack the coaching in most of the MWC and WAC football programs up against any other conference. With better recruiting on a level playing field, they would be competitive with any colleges in the west; actually they already are.
                I agree on all accounts. Although I don't see it as Boise boosting us(wac schools) up, but rather they boosted the WACs image. Fresno had always had a pretty good to great program spanning a while back, but more recently from the Dilfer days to the Carr days.

Comment

As Mountain West guy, ...

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                  I agree on all accounts. Although I don't see it as Boise boosting us(wac schools) up, but rather they boosted the WACs image. Fresno had always had a pretty good to great program spanning a while back, but more recently from the Dilfer days to the Carr days.
                  ... I was sorry to see Utah, BYU and TCU leave, but happy to see Fresno, Hawaii, Boise and Nevada joining. Those four WAC teams went to bowl games.

Pat Hill has always had the mentality of playing anyone anywhere including going all the way to the east coast to defeat Rutgers in the season opener in 2008. When Reggie Bush was a senior at USC, the Bulldogs played a great game in LA.

UNM fans know Fresno well from the Sweeney days and when UNM and Fresno were both in the WAC.

When the four WAC teams come into the MWC, Hill, Petersen, McMackin and Ault will join Rocky Long and Troy Calhoun et al. for what, in my opinion, is the strongest group of coaches in any conference. Long and Ault especially are true innovators in an era of little innovation.

The loss of Gary Patterson, another true innovator, will hurt, but I think a lot of western football fans wish him well in 2012 when TCU joins the Big East. Too bad TCU can't make that move this year when the Big East should be pretty down.

The Nevada Wolfpack had to lift their game to win the WAC last year. Fresno State pride aside, you may be inclined to admit that.

Comment

The Nevada Wolfpack had to lift their game to win the WAC last year. Fresno State pride aside, you may be inclined to admit that.
                    They didn't necessarily win the WAC. From what I remember it was a 3 way tie, with Hawaii Nevada and Boise all losing to one another (Hawaii to boise, Boise to nevada, and nevada to hawaii)

But yes, the wolfpack had a great run under the pistol with kaepernick, but I think that is as far as they'll get. They just don't have much support at all from their fans, I see La tech and Idaho rising in the WAC this season, and Hawaii should still be playing at a high caliber, but I don't see nevada sticking around in the top of the ranks for very much longer.

As far as moving into the MWC, I love love love the fact that the new MWC is basically like the old WAC (minus BYU, TCU). It's pretty nice to see old rivalries refueled and regenerated. Do you have a particular team that you follow, or was Utah your team?

Comment

Since ...

They didn't necessarily win the WAC. From what I remember it was a 3 way tie, with Hawaii Nevada and Boise all losing to one another (Hawaii to boise, Boise to nevada, and nevada to hawaii)

But yes, the wolfpack had a great run under the pistol with kaepernick, but I think that is as far as they'll get. They just don't have much support at all from their fans, I see La tech and Idaho rising in the WAC this season, and Hawaii should still be playing at a high caliber, but I don't see nevada sticking around in the top of the ranks for very much longer.

As far as moving into the MWC, I love love love the fact that the new MWC is basically like the old WAC (minus BYU, TCU). It's pretty nice to see old rivalries refueled and regenerated. Do you have a particular team that you follow, or was Utah your team?
                      ... I work in ABQ and live nearby, I've been a Lobo fan for a long time.

As a HS coach, I had a chance to attend Lobo football clinics and meet the UNM coaches including Gary Patterson, Bronco Mendenhall and Rocky Long.

One of our former players is now Rocky's safeties coach. He recently spoke at a coaching clinic in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Don't underestimate Chris Ault. He has a great DC and a great offense. He's had four years to groom a new QB to run the Pistol.

In a non BCS conference just being competitive every year, like Rocky Long achieved at UNM, is a big deal. When those ten teams start playing each other every year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. You try to be bowl eligible, but also have a tough schedule.

Do you think the MWC wants to add two more teams for a two division/conference championship game setup? If so, who do you think?

Right. The old WAC. Road trips to Hawaii. Talk about home field.

Another great UNM coach was Joe Lee Dunn. I think he and Rocky collaborated on creating the 3-3-5 D. Dennis Franchione was successful, but aloof. He was never "one of the guys" like Rocky was. Always saw him for about five minutes at the coaching clinics when he stopped by to say "Hi" to the peasants.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Do you think the MWC wants to add two more teams for a two division/conference championship game setup? If so, who do you think?
                        Cool backstory, thats pretty fun.

About the quote, I'm not sure if they'd WANT to do it, but if they were to do it I don't see why they wouldn't want to take Hawaii (please god no). I don't see them fixing the whole BYU situation so they are as good as gone, and TCU and Utah are gone for good... So I have no idea who they'd extend invitations to. I can see san jose state as being one, considering they have a 'big market' though they suck. I can also see USU getting an invite.

But its something you can't really guess on because they have their own way of evaluating teams. They may even take a team from conference usa or some crap like that.

BUT i don't think they will. I think we need to stay smaller in order to get a legitimate shot at the AQ, being as it would be less diluted.

edit: wait, I'm counting 9 teams.... am I missing someone?
                        Last edited by 12and4; 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

If all of you NCCA football fans truly want to end the BCS there is a simple, not easy solution. Do not watch or go to ANY Bowl game. This does require commitment of millions of fans. But if they games are played before empty stadiums, and no ratings a clear message will be sent.
                          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                            If all of you NCCA football fans truly want to end the BCS there is a simple, not easy solution. Do not watch or go to ANY Bowl game. This does require commitment of millions of fans. But if they games are played before empty stadiums, and no ratings a clear message will be sent.
                            How is that simple lol. Thats probably the toughest one to do... If your team is in the sugar bowl, you're going... or you're watching...

As much as Boise hates the BCS, was the whole city not watching the bowl games?

But yes, that would be the fastest solution.

edit: Here is the website that the BCS made in retaliation a couple years back.
                            http://www.playoffproblem.com/

I bought the domain "PlayoffAnswer.com" but have yet to make a page for it. It needs to be made though. Maybe we can all collaborate? Just a simple page like that website, discussing various methods of improving competition at all levels.
                            Last edited by 12and4; 03-31-2011, 12:45 AM.

Comment

How is that simple lol. Thats probably the toughest one to do... If your team is in the sugar bowl, you're going... or you're watching...

As much as Boise hates the BCS, was the whole city not watching the bowl games?

But yes, that would be the fastest solution.
                              It is simple, but as I said it is not easy.
                              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X