• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death to the thread.

Or, as Monty Python sang, "Always look on the bright side of death."
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

So sammy, swinging that question back at ya, what do you think they would want to do with the MWC? Add more teams or keep it the way it is.

MWC or Wac > Big East.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
        So sammy, swinging that question back at ya, what do you think they would want to do with the MWC? Add more teams or keep it the way it is.

MWC or Wac > Big East.
        The PAC-10 seemed to feel it needed twelve teams, so they invited Utah and Colorado. The SLC and Denver TV areas add revenue. They will probably organize into North and South divisions and have a championship game like the SEC, ACC, MAC, CUSA (and like the Big XII used to?).

Speaking of the Big XII, they now have ten and the Big Ten has twelve. The Big Ten seemed to think they needed twelve and the addition of Nebraska gives some market share due to the following the Huskers have. I think they intend a conference championship game in football as well.

As I recall, the chronology was that MWC invited Boise prior to PAC inviting Utah. At first it looked like the MWC was going to get much stronger in terms of the competitiveness of the football teams it had. Then Utah, BYU and TCU defected. The four WAC teams coming to the MWC are actually preserving the Mountain West's football status.

Apparently geography was of little consideration in the Big East's invitation to TCU. So, if the MWC wants to add two more schools, they don't necessarily need to be in the West. You mentioned Louisiana Tech. Not being BCS takes away from incentive for schools currently in BCS conferences to join the MWC. When it looked like the Big XII was going to disintegrate, some MWC people were suggesting Kansas and K-State could be invited. CUSA schools like Houston or UTEP are possibilities as well.

I always thought Notre Dame and Navy were candidates for Big East expansion, but the former seems happy with the Independent status that BYU will now try. I think Villanova is considering I-A FBS status. They are in the Big East for BB as is Notre Dame and some others.

When the conference commissioners, university presidents and ADs meet to consider their structure, it's all based on $ just like the NFL owners. The only difference is the semblance of academics in the NCAA.

A strange thing I heard last year was that Utah and Colorado were invited to the PAC because they are research institutions with medical schools. Supposedly BYU wanted an invitation, too, but was annoyed at the academic standard which doesn't apply to them regardless of how preppy they are.

A journalist in Oklahoma City suggested that UNM could be a candidate for the Big XII on that basis (i.e., academics/research) if the Big XII decided to actually be XII instead of just X. For people in the ABQ/SF area, that sounded pretty crazy, but you never know.

Too bad UNM's AD forced Rocky Long out instead of supporting the football program. Now we have Mike Locksley who didn't get off to a good start (putting it mildly) and the football program is way down from where Rocky left it.

So, PAC-10 is now PAC-12; Big Ten is now twelve; MWC which had nine will have ten; Big East had eight in football will have ten if Villanova steps up to IA/FBS; SEC, ACC and CUSA stay at twelve and the MAC at thirteen; will the WAC raid the Sunbelt or IAA schools to stay alive?

I guess the big question in realignment is the Big XII and what they will do. TCU's move to the Big East is looking clever as a football gambit. There are plenty of former Southwest Conference schools in Texas (e.g., SMU, Houston, Rice) the Big XII could invite to refill their Roman numerals. Speaking of former SWC schools, there are rumors Arkansas isn't happy in the SEC. If Arkansas left for the Big XII, the SEC would probably raid CUSA or the Big East, etc., etc., etc. and on it goes.

I'm just a football fan fed up with BCS arrogance, and now, apparently, corruption. The WAC and MWC have achieved success in football in spite of not having huge stadiums, big TV markets and big time recruits compared with the PAC and the Big XII (formerly the Big 8). Invitations to the most lucrative bowls should be based on merit ... if the bowl system is to be retained.

That leads to the next can of worms ... playoffs. Playoffs? Did you say playoffs? IAA/FCS is touted as having playoffs which they do, but all IAA schools don't participate in them (e.g., Ivy League and former negro conferences). The big barriers to playoffs are the pretenses of academics and the vested financial interests of the bowl games which are relics of the past.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

As far as the WAC, i hear they wanted a couple FBS schools. I think it was a couple texas schools and a denver school, but I don't remember which ones particularly. I think MWC should just take a couple more from the WAC and call it a day. It would leave WAC to burn but it would help the MWC... but I wouldn't want to do that to my former rival schools. I hate karl benson so he deserves that (the commish of the WAC). He had planned on going to a fresno game and a nevada game one weekend last year, but he changed his plans and attended a hawaii game. This season, he blamed fresno state for not turning in our schedules on time so they can make the conference schedules. They blamed their mistake on us which was hilarious, and we have articles in the fresno bee and our official website from like last november stating the schedule.

Comment

Working...
          X