The NCAA can go pack sand.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCAA can go pack sand.....

What does the NCAA do the day before Boise's big game with Georgia? They tell Chris Peterson to hold out 3 key contributors from the game while they "investigate eligibility".

You may ask, "what is so fishy about that?", well, I will tell you what's fishy about that:

The 3 players in question are from the Netherlands. You ask, ok, I understand why their eligibility needs to be investigated. Not so fast....

These players were all investigated LAST YEAR and ruled to be ELIGIBLE.

Febis is a 5th year senior slotted to start at safety.

The other kid (Geradlo Jiawaiit sp?)is a sophomore who is slotted to be Boise's #1 deep threat with the departure of Titus Young.

The 3rd kid is Ricky Tjong a joe (sp?), who is the #3 DT, and is a very important part of the rotation because Boise State uses a four man rotation. Now, we'll have to insert some 275 pound guy instead of the athletic 300 pound Ricky T.

I am so absolutely disgusted with the NCAA. I don't see how this can be anything but deliberate. They have essentially taken away 3 starters from us for the Georgia game.

Go Pack Sand NCAA!!!!!

sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Here's a link to one of the articles:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...e_state_player

By Brian Murphy
    [email protected]

ATLANTA — Boise State will be without starting safety Cedric Febis, defensive tackle Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe and wide receiver Geraldo Boldewijn for its season opener against Georgia on Saturday.

The players are all from Amsterdam, but attended high school in Boise.

“The three are being held out of the game due to a review of their NCAA eligibility. The review is not academic or violation of team rules,” Boise State said in a statement released Friday morning.

At a pre-game press conference, Boise State coach Chris Petersen talked about the eligibility problems.

"We're concerned about it. We're looking into it. That's why they're not here. Hopefully we can get it resolved hopefully sooner than later," Petersen said. "We've just got to stay focused on this game. The next guy has to step up and we got to go."

"A few days ago, there was a concern raised and our people started looking into it and we need to go slow on these type of things. Jeremy Ioane will start (at safety) and some other guys, young guys that have been working hard will have to be ready to go and carry the flag."

Asked if it was Boise State's staff or the NCAA that initiated the review, Petersen said: "We're not going to get into all the details right now."

Boise State hired a new compliance director, Josh Cunningham from TCU, earlier this month.

Petersen said the three players were informed yesterday.

"We'll talk about that when we get back. We're just trying to enjoy and focus on this game," Petersen said.

In an email to the Statesman, an NCAA spokeswoman wrote: "You would be best served to contact the school directly as they have all the facts of the situation."

Febis, a senior, attended Bishop Kelly. Tjong-A-Tjoe, a sophomore, went to Boise High. Boldewijn, a sophomore, went to Capital High.

Febis came to the United State for a Boise State summer football camp and decided to stay in the country.

“I decided to stay because I loved the competition, playing against bigger players, faster guys,” Febis said.

He attended Bishop Kelly in 2005-06, helping the Knights to the 4A state championship. Cody Hawkins, the son of then-BSU coach Dan Hawkins, quarterbacked that team. He lived with a host family in Boise and remains close with them.

“They’re like family now. I see them as my mom and dad. When I want to get away from it, I just go over there and hang out. They treat me as one of their own,” Febis said.

Other notes from Petersen:

— He declined to name a starting kicker.

— He said the team has brought up to five true freshmen on the trip, including safety Lee Hightower.

Past stories

Here is an Idaho Statesman story written by Jesse Zentz in 2008 about the Dutch connection at local high schools:

(Boldewijn changed his name from Hiwat this year, so this story includes his former last name.)

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...#ixzz1WqmRZF3c
    sigpic

Comment

I said it in the other thread, the NCAA is out to get Boise St.
      Boise is the team that started all the playoff wanting, Boise is the team to start, the want for smaller known teams to get big bowl games.

NCAA hates BSU.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I'm furious about this.

However, everyone is being hush hush on both sides right now and not even Murphy's articles shed much light. Neither BSU nor the NCAA will say why they are investigating eligibility all of a sudden or what caused the peak in interest.

Some thoughts that have been flying around Twitter today are:

Perhaps this is one of the reasons Gene was let go. Did Boise State find out more stuff that Gene had been doing behind the scenes and decide to act themselves before the NCAA? Perhaps he had skirted the issue of Febis, Boldewijn (formerly Hiwat) and Tjong-A-Tjoe's eligibility without their or the team's knowledge? Also keep in mind we just hired that guy from TCU to be our new Compliance Manager so maybe he's actually doing his job?

Speculation to be sure for now, but what gets me is this: You have three guys who came to the U.S. and played high school ball in the states with no issues. Then, you have a college that was able to offer them scholarships and enroll them in school with no issues (seemingly). So, if they are legitimate members of Boise State University's student body, why are they ineligible to compete in a sport that other students of same body compete in?

Okay, MAYBE i can understand missing something about Boldewijn and Tjong-A-Tjoe, but Febis? He has been a Boise State squad member for 5 years. At no point did either the university or the NCAA feel the need to inquire about whatever it is they need to inquire about in order to decide if Febis was eligible to play? And what is it they are looking for to ensure they are eligible?

in my mind, if they are a student enrolled in an accredited American university, then they should be eligible for any and all benefits awarded to the rest of the student body right? That includes participation in athletics.

i just really see no reason for either side to decide right now, 36 hours prior to our season opener to investigate this situation.
        Last edited by RealBronco; 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM.
        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
          I'm furious about this.

However, everyone is being hush hush on both sides right now and not even Murphy's articles shed much light. Neither BSU nor the NCAA will say why they are investigating eligibility all of a sudden or what caused the peak in interest.

Some thoughts that have been flying around Twitter today are:

Perhaps this is one of the reasons Gene was let go. Did Boise State find out more stuff that Gene had been doing behind the scenes and decide to act themselves before the NCAA? Perhaps he had skirted the issue of Febis, Boldewijn (formerly Hiwat) and Tjong-A-Tjoe's eligibility without their or the team's knowledge?

Speculation to be sure for now, but what gets me is this: You have three guys who came to the U.S. and played high school ball in the states with no issues. Then, you have a college that was able to offer them scholarships and enroll them in school with no issues (seemingly). So, if they are legitimate members of Boise State Universities student body, why are they ineligible to compete in a sport that other students of same body compete in?

Okay, MAYBE i can understand missing something about Boldewijn and Tjong-A-Tjoe, but Febis? He has been a Boise State squad member for 5 years. At no point did either the university or the NCAA feel the need to inquire about whatever it is they need to inquire about in order to decide if Febis was eligible to play? And what is it they are looking for to ensure they are eligible?

in my mind, if they are a student enrolled in an accredited American university, then they should be eligible for any and all benefits awarded to the rest of the student body right? That includes participation in athletics.

i just really see no reason for either side to decide right now, 36 hours prior to our season opener to investigate this situation.

I'm furious too....I don't believe the timing of this is a coincidence.

These kids all played high school ball here in Idaho. Kids come play college ball straight from other countries all the time....this reaks of foul play from the NCAA....they can go....you know!!!

They already freaking investigated it a year ago!!!!

So, the NCAA finds a way to remove 3 key players 24 hours before the game, which prevents Peterson from changing his game plan????? Are you freaking kidding me????

What a joke....I have lost so much faith in the NCAA.....all I know is these clowns better prove that Blayemeyer recruited them or financially helped them get here....because this is an absolute joke.
          Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 09-02-2011, 09:37 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I do not think the NCAA is doong this on purpose. If they are they are incredibly dumb. To me this kind of whining is like the people that support OSU saying the NCAA is out to get Coach Tressell.
            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
            sigpic

Comment

This surprises you guys? You didn't notice anything last year when they let Cam play? Really?
              sigpic
              I Adopt #77 well damn!
              Milla Da QB Killa' #77
              Fox Rocks #77

Comment

It aint the ncaa that hates boise... its the bcs...

Stuff happens... we lost our star safety to a broken ankle just yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                  It aint the ncaa that hates boise... its the bcs...

Stuff happens... we lost our star safety to a broken ankle just yesterday.
                  I know that "stuff happens", but 3 key players one day before kick off? That's absurd.

The NCAA gets a boat load of money from the BCS every year, so connect the dots.....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
                    This surprises you guys? You didn't notice anything last year when they let Cam play? Really?
                    Yeah, they let Cam play, but they won't let 3 kids who have been in the states for 3 years play? What a freaking joke! I'm so disgusted right now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      I do not think the NCAA is doong this on purpose. If they are they are incredibly dumb. To me this kind of whining is like the people that support OSU saying the NCAA is out to get Coach Tressell.
                      Fair enough, but there is no evidence of any wrong doing. These kids are academically eligible, and have committed no violations. This is only about there eligibility as foreigners....something that was investigated a year ago and the kids were found to be eligible.

Tressell made his own bed.
                      Boise State runs a tight ship.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                        Yeah, they let Cam play, but they won't let 3 kids who have been in the states for 3 years play? What a freaking joke! I'm so disgusted right now.
                        BC-S-PN, I said it last year and you guys all called me crazy.
                        sigpic
                        I Adopt #77 well damn!
                        Milla Da QB Killa' #77
                        Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
                          BC-S-PN, I said it last year and you guys all called me crazy.
                          The funny thing is....the BCS isn't even a good business model, but the NCAA just goes along. What do they care, they stand aloof, collect their billions, turn the other way when Cecil Newton takes a few hundred grand, and...oh forget it...

What a freaking sham....
                          sigpic

Comment

After researching this a little bit more, none of this is adding up.

So apparently the rules are that any athlete coming from a foreign country has to go through the NCAA first before being declared eligible, but only these guys were pretty much already on the team.

Whatever the case may be, these guys have no reason to be denied the ability to play, especially Febis. It's funny how this is now just becoming a major crisis after all the seniors leave, and Boise's season opener is against a tough SEC team.

I also find it strange that with any other team, the players were always granted the ability to play, look at Cam or Pryor with OSU playing in the bowl game.

Who would've guessed?

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                              Fair enough, but there is no evidence of any wrong doing. These kids are academically eligible, and have committed no violations. This is only about there eligibility as foreigners....something that was investigated a year ago and the kids were found to be eligible.

Tressell made his own bed.
                              Boise State runs a tight ship.
                              "Tight ship?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6471288

By Andrea Adelson ESPN.com Archive

The NCAA has charged Boise State with a lack of institutional control following an alleged major violation in women's tennis and secondary violations in four sports, including football.

The school released its official response to the allegations Monday evening and will go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions June 10. A final report and penalties will be issued several months after that meeting.

"We are deeply committed to following all NCAA rules and to ensuring that our athletic department works diligently so that our procedures reflect the highest standard," Boise State president Bob Kustra said in a statement. "I am disappointed that we face these allegations. It is unacceptable, and the athletic department staff understand and agree with my position."

The university has made fixes, done its own internal investigation and hired a new compliance officer, Kustra said.

The secondary violations in football involved impermissible housing, transportation and/or meals to prospective student-athletes from 2005 to 2009.

In all, the NCAA found the total value of impermissible benefits through five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes.

"We pride ourselves on doing things the right way at Boise State. As soon as we became aware that these inadvertent infractions were not in accordance with NCAA rules, we acted swiftly and without hesitation," football coach Chris Petersen said in a statement released by the school.

"The university, our staff and the involved student-athletes worked together with the NCAA to resolve the situation, including reimbursement of the benefits received, and that money was donated to a local charity," Petersen said.

Boise State began its investigation into potential violations in 2009. The school and NCAA agreed to penalties a year later for the sports that broke the rules: football, men's and women's tennis, and men's and women's track and field.

But later that year, Boise State self-reported a major violation in women's tennis, in which one tennis player was allowed to compete before being officially enrolled.

That led the NCAA to take the secondary violations and major violation and lump them into one case, slapping the more serious "lack of institutional control" charge on top of the existing violations.

"Complying with NCAA rules is fundamental to who we are and how we do things at Boise State," athletic director Gene Bleymaier said in a statement. "We have addressed the issues and are working with the NCAA to bring this to a close."

Andrea Adelson covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Follow Andrea Adelson on Twitter: @ESPN_CollegeFB
                              http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...ivial-are.html

oise State could be in a heap of trouble because incoming student-athletes spent the night on sofas, received free food and got rides to and from the airport.

But isn’t that typical college student behavior?

The point of those NCAA rules is that student-athletes get nothing for free or at a reduced cost, said Marlon Edge, the assistant director of compliance for the Mountain West Conference.

“Sleeping on another student’s floor would be considered a benefit,” Edge said. “You can’t receive benefits, gifts or services as a student-athlete.”

For university sports programs, it can be a slippery slope from a Big Mac to a gold Trans Am.

“It is all considered a benefit of some sort,” Edge said. “There are different levels of seriousness, but there is really no distinction. A hide-a-bed and a car are the same thing.”

Boise State is under investigation by the NCAA for 22 alleged violations in five sports, including football, tennis and track and field —and experts say it’s the volume of violations that could point to a pattern of disregard for the rules.

It all adds up to more than cereal and air mattresses, said Michael Buckner, a Florida-based attorney in college sports law and a private investigator.

“Individually, they would not appear to the general public to be serious,” Buckner said. “But these rules are in place to assure that all student-athletes in all schools compete on the same level playing field.”

These kinds of incidents take place at every university, said Jordan Kobritz, a former attorney who teaches sport management at Eastern New Mexico University and has written on NCAA relations.

The only difference between student-athletes and regular students are the rules and monitoring by the NCAA, he said. Members of the chess club, for example, have likely hosted and fed new students with no repercussions, he said.

“An academic student doesn’t have a compliance officer monitoring what benefits they receive,” Kobritz said.

Further, Kobritz agrees with Boise State President Bob Kustra, who believes the NCAA’s rules are unwieldy and confusing.

“(Kustra) is right and the fans who think this is Mickey Mouse are also right,” he said. “The rules are intricate, they are detailed. ... Some of them are realistic and some of them are totally unrealistic.”

But Kobritz also levels a finger at the Boise State administration and the athletic department.

“Reading the NCAA rulebook sometimes is like reading the Internal Revenue Code. It is that clear, which is clear as mud,” he said. “But it is incumbent on adminstration to send the message to the coaching staff that this is important.”

Boise State may be experiencing “growing pains” because of the rise of its football program. But while the football budget has grown, other areas may have languished financially, including the compliance office, Kobritz said.

As part of the school’s response to the NCAA allegations, Boise State has doubled the size of its compliance department to three full-time officials and moved it from athletics to the president’s office.

So when the NCAA sees numerous, repeat violations over time and across multiple sports, investigators start to wonder, Edge said.

“Where was the head coach? Did the head coach not know? And if he did not know, why?” Edge said. “It looks like a pattern. ... Why didn’t these people know? I think the NCAA takes that pretty seriously. That is why they are accusing them of a lack of institutional control.”

Universities hire compliance officers for a reason, and they should have followed up with the NCAA if rules are unclear or ambiguous, Edge said.

“When you’re a smaller program and when you don’t have national notoriety, it may be easier to function with a very small staff that’s buried inside the athletic program,” Kustra told the Idaho Statesman. “We’re no longer a program like that. ... I want to make sure the entire management structure is appropriate for the new level of compliance, the new level of leadership that is required.”

He said Boise State’s coaches can no longer make assumptions about rules. They must first clear actions with a compliance officer.

Bad timing may also be playing against Boise State, Kobritz said.

The NCAA has recently been accused of handling major violations with kid gloves, he said, pointing to high-profile cases at the University of Southern California, Auburn and Ohio State that allege big-time star athletes or their families have been given improper benefits.

“The NCAA is a little bit defensive and they want to show they are going to enforce these rules and enforce them consistently,” Kobritz said. “Boise State is right in their crosshairs.”

The experts agree that Boise State has taken positive steps toward fixing its internal problems. And these self-imposed punishments look good, they said.

University officials will have the opportunity to make their case in June and may be able to fend off the most serious charge, a lack of institutional control, Buckner said.

No one thinks the NCAA will impose the dreaded “death penalty” and shut down any sports programs.

But additional sanctions are a possibility, he said.

Meanwhile, Kobritz contends the NCAA was a “little quick” to allege a lack of institutional control.

The experts agree that the outcome for Boise State is uncertain.

“You can never predict what the NCAA will do,” Kobritz said. “The only thing that is predictable is that the bigger the fish you are, the kinder they are going to treat you. ... BSU is not a bigger fish.”
                              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X