X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWC/CUSA Merger!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...SAFootball.pdf

They have merged!

IRVING, Texas/COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West Conference and Conference USA have unanimously come to
    an agreement in principle to consolidate their member football programs into one large association.
    Commissioners of the two leagues formulated this creative and innovative plan with the support of the presidents, chancellors
    and athletics directors. The 12 members of Conference USA and 10 football‐playing members of the Mountain West will join
    forces for this strategic landmark in college football.**
    “The role of a conference is to provide its members with the best possible environment in which to conduct their
    intercollegiate athletics programs,” said Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson.* * “Rather than await changes in
    membership due to realignment, it became clear the best way to serve our institutions was to pursue an original concept.**The
    Mountain West and C‐USA share a number of similarities, and the creative merger of our football assets firmly positions our
    respective members for the future.”
    “The potential of this association is very exciting,” Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky said. “By taking an
    innovative approach, we feel we can offer tremendous opportunities for exposure and stability without breaking up the
    regional rivalries that truly make up the college football tradition.”
    UNLV President and Mountain West Board of Directors Chair Neal Smatresk said, “In an era of uncertainty in intercollegiate
    athletics, this collaborative partnership with C‐USA lends stability and credibility to our collective football enterprise.**We are
    excited about the prospect of having teams in five time zones and the many possibilities created by this extremely bold and
    proactive step.”
    Conference USA Board of Directors Chair and Tulane president Scott Cowen said, “We are very pleased to be moving forward
    with the Mountain West Conference on this high potential, unique partnership.* *Together, we will better position our
    conferences and member universities for the future with its appeal and its reach across the United States.”
    The current 22 members are located in 16 different states, offering a prospective 16‐hour window for competition.
    Conference USA has existing television partnerships with Fox Sports and CBS Sports, as well as ESPN for its championship
    game. The Mountain West has partnerships with CBS Sports and Comcast/NBC Universal.
    The two conferences will merge into a separate football‐only entity without affecting their status within the NCAA structure

How can you manage a 22 team conference, when you only get 12 games? Really interesting stuff though, might be the only way to survive with the other "super"-conferences.
    sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
      How can you manage a 22 team conference, when you only get 12 games? Really interesting stuff though, might be the only way to survive with the other "super"-conferences.
      well, like how sec does it... divisions. They plan on having multiple divisions later on, 3+.

For now though it'll just be 2 divisions.

So basically there will be like 8 conference games, plus a championship game.

Comment

Boise State is licking their chops.

WOW an even easier schedule!

Imagine, their upperclassmen years, when their conferences games will be Marshall, Memphis, SMU, Rice, CSU, AF, and New Mexico.
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          Boise State is licking their chops.

WOW an even easier schedule!

Imagine, their upperclassmen years, when their conferences games will be Marshall, Memphis, SMU, Rice, CSU, AF, and New Mexico.
          lol thats not whats gonna happen... they're gonna remain the same way they are now, with a plus one being the championship game...

what happens after 2013 I have no idea... but until then thats what it is.

Comment

This could mean the end for the Big East unless they merge with the MAC.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              This could mean the end for the Big East unless they merge with the MAC.
              Yeah i think if they keep things the way it is, even with the 4 additions they've planned, they will go under in a year...

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                Yeah i think if they keep things the way it is, even with the 4 additions they've planned, they will go under in a year...
                What are the four planned additions for the BE?

Comment

What are the four planned additions for the BE?
                  Boise, Air Force, Navy, UCF.

Comment

Boise, Air Force, Navy, UCF.
                    Which schools will be leaving the BE?

Comment

Which schools will be leaving the BE?
                      Syracuse and Pitt, i think.

Comment

Syracuse and Pitt, i think.
                        I think I saw where Rutgers might leave, too.

South Florida, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinatti, Rutgers and Connecticut joined by Boise, Air Force, Navy and Central Florida for ten.

Navy and Central Florida make sense from a geographic standpoint. One would think the BE might also try for East Carolina and Marshall.

Comment

I wonder if this will be enough to warrant an auto bid.

UCF and Boise have some thinkin to do.
                          LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                          Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
                            I wonder if this will be enough to warrant an auto bid.

UCF and Boise have some thinkin to do.
                            Yeah, idk which i'd prefer if I were those teams.

BE will die out soon, so is it worth it???

not sure really.

Comment

SMU and Houston have been in the talks to move to the Big East as well.

They are basically preparing in advance to fill the holes that Pitt and Syracuse will leave... followed by Louisville, West Virginia and maybe even Connecticut if those three decide to leave.

either way all this talk about the Big East losing their AQ is probably just talk. I've read enough in the last couple of days that tells me there's a good chance they keep their AQ.

Just because you have 22 teams (or however many there will be if aforementioned teams leave) doesn't mean you're a good enough conference to get an AQ. Unless they change the required criteria for AQ status, there's nothing the combined forces of the Mountain West or C-USA can do.

I'm not saying it makes sense, and if Boise stays then sure i'd fight for wanting AQ status but as far as the requirements go, the Big East would STILL have all the necessities to retain their BCS status.

Also apparently they've got some other good ammo to use against ESPN if things come down to it and they are threatened with losing said status.

All that said, a lot of interesting random stuff could happen where they decide more teams means more difficulty, thus warranting BCS status, but i'm not sure.

12and4 is likely right in that most conferences are headed to AT LEAST 14 teams if not more. the SEC and ACC will already have 14 by 2013 as it is...

so after writing all that, i found this.

So it sounds like the invites are a done deal to: Boise State, Air Force, SMU, Houston, UCF and Navy with the latter two being separate. sounds like Navy is a bit skeptical though, but if everything does go through i hope they decide to join. Also it mentions that Air Force would be reluctant without Navy (and apparently Army was in the discussion at one point).

I think there's a lot of confusion and upheaval between the MWC and C-USA right now. Sounds like Thompson thought Boise and AF had agreed to stay regardless, but I doubt that's accurate.

So basically after everything is said and done, the NEW Big East would be:

West:

Air Force
                              Boise State
                              Cincinnati
                              Houston
                              Louisville
                              SMU

East:

Central Florida
                              Connecticut
                              Navy
                              Rutgers
                              South Florida
                              West Virginia

of course that's if WV and Louisville stay. But maybe with a larger exit fee they'll think about staying.

So considering all of that, and the BE having lost TCU (which they never really got, plus Boise>TCU anyway), Pittsburgh and Syracuse... is this really a bad deal for the Big East?

Are they even better than they were WITH Pitt and 'Cuse with the addition of these teams or maybe just leveled out?
                              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                              X