Boise State, 4 Others Officially Join Big East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boise State, 4 Others Officially Join Big East

Slated to go down for the 2013 season, it looks like it's official.

The main thing that I'm excited about here is the access to bigger money that can help us expand our stadium and improve our academics.

Depending on the stability of the BCS in the next few years, this will also hopefully alleviate all the crap we've put up with in recent years where we're #7 and get left out of the BCS Bowls.

now though, Kustra said it's more important to get the exposure back from ESPN and get the tv money etc. (which i kind of don't like to hear because money has ruined sports but... like i said it will help us build a better university).

Anyway, here's the story.
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'm glad we signed the 10 year deal with BYU because regional conference rivalries just went out the window.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

How you think i feel, my south carolina gamecocks finished #9 in the bcs rankings, playing in the SEC and still didnt get a BCS bowl. We got robbed too. Teams like michigan, clemson, west virginia, and va tech are playing in BCS bowls and its BS.. especially saying My gamecocks just punished clemson two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        I'm glad we signed the 10 year deal with BYU because regional conference rivalries just went out the window.
        yup... that's very true. although it'd be neat if we could continue the rivalry with TCU even though it wouldn't be a conference game.

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
        How you think i feel, my south carolina gamecocks finished #9 in the bcs rankings, playing in the SEC and still didnt get a BCS bowl. We got robbed too. Teams like michigan, clemson, west virginia, and va tech are playing in BCS bowls and its BS.. especially saying My gamecocks just punished clemson two weeks ago.
        yeah it would have been sweet for Boise to even play S. Carolina. But we wanted either Stanford in the Fiesta or we thought we'd get Michigan or 'Bama in the Rose.

we get Brock Osweiler instead.
        sigpic

Comment

I gotta be honest, I'm not convinced joining the Big East is a win.

Its not called the Big Least for nothing, its been absolute and utter garbage as far as competitive football is concerned for a few years. How can it be a good situation when the Mid Majors that are joining bring more to a conference, then the teams it currently has.

Comment

Big East to change their conference name to "Conference WTH"
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              Big East of The International Date Line Conference
              sigpic
              HOPING TO SEE MORE OF THIS IN 2012

ESPN’s John Clayton reported that McKenzie is expected to review Jackson’s performance for the next week or so. Clayton reports that the odds favor Jackson staying in Oakland, but a decision has not been made. "I still get the feeling Jackson will end up being retained." 3 1/2 HOURS LATER, THE RAIDERS FIRED JACKSON.....GOOD CALL CLAYTON

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
                I gotta be honest, I'm not convinced joining the Big East is a win.

Its not called the Big Least for nothing, its been absolute and utter garbage as far as competitive football is concerned for a few years. How can it be a good situation when the Mid Majors that are joining bring more to a conference, then the teams it currently has.
                I totally understand where you're coming from, but the reality is the competition in the Mountain West is poor, at best. The only real competition is TCU, and they're gone next year. What's left isn't much better than the competition Boise had in the WAC. The MWC is not the same thing they signed up for. There's no TCU, no Utah, and no BYU.

Additionally, the tv deals in the MWC are simply awful. Boise probably only gets 1 million per year from the conference's TV deals. Secondly, the coverage is absolutely terrible. ESPN covering Boise 6 or 7 times a year was a key part of Boise becoming a national brand. It would be too easy to slip back into obscurity remaining in the MWC.

The potential for an auto bid in the Big East, even if it's only for one year is really secondary to the tv contracts, which will be much better than they were in the Mountain. It will help to get Boise back on the tv map and also provide much needed money to help continue the stadium expansion.

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Originally posted by AZOmae View Post
                Big East of The International Date Line Conference
                I could see 'God Bless American' becoming the conference song for the relevance of lyrics such as, "from the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam".

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, no kidding. If it wasn't for DirecTV not having Versus, I wouldn't had been able to watch many Boise games.

Comment

I'm not really happy about WVU leaving the Big East. We will be towards the cellar in the Big 12.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                      Yeah, no kidding. If it wasn't for DirecTV not having Versus, I wouldn't had been able to watch many Boise games.
                      Did you have the Sports package too? I watched almost every WYO game on the Mtn., as well as most of the other conference games that weren't on Versus or the CBSSport network.
                      sigpic
                      HOPING TO SEE MORE OF THIS IN 2012

ESPN’s John Clayton reported that McKenzie is expected to review Jackson’s performance for the next week or so. Clayton reports that the odds favor Jackson staying in Oakland, but a decision has not been made. "I still get the feeling Jackson will end up being retained." 3 1/2 HOURS LATER, THE RAIDERS FIRED JACKSON.....GOOD CALL CLAYTON

Comment

Originally posted by AZOmae View Post
                        Did you have the Sports package too? I watched almost every WYO game on the Mtn., as well as most of the other conference games that weren't on Versus or the CBSSport network.
                        Those packages are fairly costly.
                        sigpic

Comment

I always thought conferences were based on location. Apparently San Diego St. didn't Get the message. I should think these conferences should start changing their names to something more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stagnok View Post
                            I always thought conferences were based on location. Apparently San Diego St. didn't Get the message. I should think these conferences should start changing their names to something more appropriate.
                            it's no longer about geography. it's about money and the names.

they won't change their conference names because they are brand names at this point.

the realignments are all about money, tv deals and competing to stay alive while other conferences pillage your teams.

and anyone that says it's about academics or anything other than football is being naive.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
                              you are still playing a decent team though....and are going to lose too.

Comment

Working...
                              X