Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jalapeno Jon
    replied
    I wonder if the defensive captain told the opposing team he wanted fries with that.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Taunting is unsportsmanlike. The penalty was for unsportsmanlike conduct.

A semi-legendary HS HC in ABQ was once fired for allowing hazing. IMO that constitutes loss of control over the lockerroom. To me, as a coach, that was unacceptable. Taunting resulting in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty falls into the same category and would result in "reminders".

The OP addressed this topic in the context of the HS level of competition and that's the way I am responding; not college; not pro; HS.

The coaching staff I was a part of was fined by the HC for cussing on the practice field or on the sideline. We learned not to argue with officials. That was the atmosphere in which I functioned for thirteen seasons.

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I guess there isn't no concept of showing some class these days. They were killing the other team. Shut up, finish the game and get out of there.

Smack talk to each other is fine. Taunting is low class.
    This is what I don't get. I can understand if it becomes excessive but it sounds like this was the only time they did anything that could be construed as "taunting." Again, this is a brutal contact sport... I don't think there's anything "low class" about taunting or razzing your opponent. I think it's stupid that even the NFL has now adopted a "no taunting" rule. These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game and they can't handle a little smack talk from opponents? They can dish it out but can't take it? What's the deal here?

You can still be classy and engage in a little jibber-jabber with opponents during the course of the game.

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Did the penalty result in a first down? A score? Did it change the outcome of the game? Was the penalty on the defensive captain or the HC? Two of those and you are ejected and disqualified from the next contest.

I coached at a school on the receiving end of a lot of taunting and trash talk. After 2001 officials began flagging such behavior with no warnings given because since when does an official warn? They see an infraction and they flag it.

We taught our players never to act that way. If they did, there were "reminders" at the end of the next practice. We taught them to only refer to the scoreboard and to keep their hats on and show class during the handshake.
    At the HS level or any level I suppose, there should always be discipline among the team set in place by the coaching staff. Well oiled machines normally do really well while those without discipline flounder (Patriots or Packers vs Raiders or Lions). I think this cuts down on unnecessary or inappropriate behavior or fighting etc. I'm not so sure that smack talk or taunting should fall under these categories. It's one of those things that's a fine line but at certain levels, while not encouraged, should not be penalized if it doesn't become an issue.

I think calling one funny audible toward the end of the game doesn't constitute lack of discipline or warrant a flag... These are high school kids that are jacked at how well they've performed and they are having fun playing the game. Maybe the reason the other team got shut out is because they either take things too seriously or don't have the "this is just a game, you're in high school and should enjoy it" mentality.

Who knows. I still think it's funny and creative. At least it wasn't just an onslaught of your mom jokes or racial slurs or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• EvertonBroncos
    replied
    More taunting than unsportsmanlike conduct, regardless of which they can't complain about not being warned, like samparnell said, no infraction in the NFL, or other football codes, carries a warning before it. If you break a rule, they'll flag you, simple as.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Did the penalty result in a first down? A score? Did it change the outcome of the game? Was the penalty on the defensive captain or the HC? Two of those and you are ejected and disqualified from the next contest.

I coached at a school on the receiving end of a lot of taunting and trash talk. After 2001 officials began flagging such behavior with no warnings given because since when does an official warn? They see an infraction and they flag it.

We taught our players never to act that way. If they did, there were "reminders" at the end of the next practice. We taught them to only refer to the scoreboard and to keep their hats on and show class during the handshake.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Audible Double Quarter Pounder... Audible Dr. Pepper.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    I guess there isn't no concept of showing some class these days. They were killing the other team. Shut up, finish the game and get out of there.

Smack talk to each other is fine. Taunting is low class.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosPWNn00bs
    replied
    Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    Agree 100% percent taunting is part of the game and if it affects you, you are weak and not made for the sports
    Agree with this. I think that whole thing is funny. But yea, if you get upset and offended by it, then you are weak. I remember in HS, this kid guaranteed a victory for his team before the game. I remember it being in the paper. And we beat them by like 30 pts. And everyone on our team after every score, or any time we tackled him, we would always say something like " Nice guarantee and stuff like that. Its fun to taunt and get under peoples skin actually.

But discussing where you were going to eat? and calling out combo meals? There is nothing wrong with that imo. But still, whats a 15 yard penalty going to do? I doubt any of the players cared about getting a 15 yard penalty.

Just my take though. still a funny story.

Leave a comment:

• canadiansbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
    That's hilarious.

But calling this is ridiculous because there's no way for the refs or opposing team to know that it WASN'T a legitimate signal call.

In fact, why wouldn't it be? Isn't the point of audibles and signal calls to confuse and disrupt the opponent?

Grow a thick skin or stop playing football. Some rules in HS and/or College are ridiculous. These kids play a contact sport that is pretty brutal. If they can't handle a bit of razzing etc or can't stop the other team from scoring, there's no one to blame but themselves.

What's more alarming is that this sort of softness is trickling into the NFL and that's sad.

also, i'm sure the "audible" worked on the offense. who wouldn't be confused by that?
    Agree 100% percent taunting is part of the game and if it affects you, you are weak and not made for the sports

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    That's hilarious.

But calling this is ridiculous because there's no way for the refs or opposing team to know that it WASN'T a legitimate signal call.

In fact, why wouldn't it be? Isn't the point of audibles and signal calls to confuse and disrupt the opponent?

Grow a thick skin or stop playing football. Some rules in HS and/or College are ridiculous. These kids play a contact sport that is pretty brutal. If they can't handle a bit of razzing etc or can't stop the other team from scoring, there's no one to blame but themselves.

What's more alarming is that this sort of softness is trickling into the NFL and that's sad.

also, i'm sure the "audible" worked on the offense. who wouldn't be confused by that?

Leave a comment:

• Yakka27
    replied
    How do the refs not know it wasn't an audible? Was there blatant taunting? Laughing and mocking?

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    I completely disagree with the call. It's ridiculous to even say otherwise.

That's what's wrong with this country today. Everyone is so freaking soft and get offended so easily.

It's freaking high school boys and it's just verbal smack. You think smack on the field in college and the NFL isn't way more severe than this. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I don't think it's classless at all.

Running up the score and taunting in people's face with dancing and visual antics is one thing. Calling out a combo # as your play all is harmless. People should really lighten up.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    IMO it depends on the rules, i could argue that is both taunting and unsportsmanlike at the HS level.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    I agree. It was in very poor taste to do and they should know better. The coach should have been on top of it before it got to that point. I don't know if a warning should have even been necessary if the coach was doing his/her job.

That being said I like that the refs dropped the hammer on them. That behavior is garbage and all the kids should have known it. The D captain should be punished beyond the game, he is the leader.

That all being said, who taught those kids that was acceptable at any level?

I remember playing sports and you would be on the way home if you acted like that on the field. And then your parents would be kicking your butt.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    started a topic You make the call

You make the call

A high school team was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct during the 4th quarter of a game while on defense.

The score was 28-0

The defensive players were talking about where they were going to eat after the game and discussing McDonalds. The defensive captain called out a combo number and drink when calling the alignment.

The official throws a flag for UC. No warnings were issued beforehand.

Is this the correct call?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    In my coaching opinion, this is the wrong call. Taunting is probably what I would've called.

Also, if I'm the coach of the team doing the chirping, I would've put a stop to it almost immediately, as soon as I knew it happened.

What's your opinion?
Working...
X