Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do We Let Kids Play Tackle Football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do We Let Kids Play Tackle Football?

http://deadspin.com/5960802/why-do-w...ium=socialflow

Check out this article by Stefan Fatsis.

He thinks that kids that haven't started growing body hair shouldn't play football.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

So I shouldn't play tackle football?

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
      So I shouldn't play tackle football?
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

He thinks that kids that haven't started growing body hair shouldn't play football.
        By his measure I would have been allowed to play in like.... 4th grade.

@IEWT

sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Haha! Can tell this isn't going anywhere near where CW meant it to.

Comment

because it's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Head injuries to children should be avoided. Is youth football the only risky activity? Bicycles, skateboards? What about the damage to joints of young gymnasts which limits their growth. High School cheerleaders have the highest rate of serious injury in athletics of that age group.

Clear information and statistics based on medical/scientific study should be the basis for parents' decision making.

I taught middle school for fifteen years before going to HS, and coached football one year at that level. IMO heavy weight lifting is ill advised before 8th grade at the earliest.

Kids need to be active, but I don't think weight lifting or full contact is necessary; maybe not advisable.

I hope knoxman36and2 joins this conversation.

The issues the NFL is having with concussions have made me wonder about the little kids, especially the bobbleheads.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think it's better for young kids to start with contact, it helps them learn how to do it properly... waiting till they get older and at faster speeds with greater weight and have them start learning how to make contact when the stakes are higher.

At least that's one of the arguments for Contact in Hockey... you learn how to protect yourself at an early age when the speeds aren't as big.

Comment

Kids that age don't generate enough momentum to be a huge concern. Yes injuries happen at that level but it's not like they're killing each other.

What kind of freaks me out is the amount of concussions that happen at the high school level. It happens more frequently than when I played 12 years ago. We had two or three every season. Now I've seen at least one every other game.

For all the supposed improvements that helmets have made teens seem to be hurt more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    Head injuries to children should be avoided. Is youth football the only risky activity? Bicycles, skateboards? What about the damage to joints of young gymnasts which limits their growth. High School cheerleaders have the highest rate of serious injury in athletics of that age group.

Clear information and statistics based on medical/scientific study should be the basis for parents' decision making.

I taught middle school for fifteen years before going to HS, and coached football one year at that level. IMO heavy weight lifting is ill advised before 8th grade at the earliest.

Kids need to be active, but I don't think weight lifting or full contact is necessary; maybe not advisable.

I hope knoxman36and2 joins this conversation.

The issues the NFL is having with concussions have made me wonder about the little kids, especially the bobbleheads.
                    This.

Lets stop the kids doing all of the above and get out the cotton wool

Comment

As a high school coach, the number one reason for injuries, especially concussions, is poor form. I preach good form everyday. Problem with youth football is some coaches (definitely not implying all coaches) do not teach proper techniques at a young age, and as a result from that kids grow up with bad habits.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BVP View Post
                        As a high school coach, the number one reason for injuries, especially concussions, is poor form. I preach good form everyday. Problem with youth football is some coaches (definitely not implying all coaches) do not teach proper techniques at a young age, and as a result from that kids grow up with bad habits.
                        I guess they don't know about their responsibility as per the warning label on the helmet and the liability suits.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                        X