Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It is a gimmick offense.

It's based purely on speed and deception not size. That's why every single year when Oregon comes up against a defense with size and speed (like what we rednecks down south have InElwayWeTrust) or in this years case Stanford they get shut down.

It works in the WAC-12 because noone in the WAC-12 plays smart disciplined defense. Except Stanford and Oregon. Problem with Oregon's defense is when they come up against bigger schools their defense is also undersized and predicated on speed.

But anytime Oregon plays a smart disciplined defense which usually entails a size advantage they struggle. Same story every year.

And don't give me excuses about missed FG's and failed 4th down conversions. Stanford had more redzone turnovers, failed conversions and missed FG's than Oregon. Otherwise that game isn't even close.
    I know the classic arguments about Oregon's offense. Personally, I think the game would have been a lot different if the Ducks weren't missing 7 starters on defense. They're actually a bigger up front this year.

I think what was really hurting their running game is their tailback is not very big and isn't going to do much with draw plays if there's not a nice lane to run through.

I don't really buy that it's a gimmick. Almost every offense at every level relies on misdirection and the hope that they can get down the field with speed. Isn't that what the play action pass is? Don't traps and counters rely on misdirection?
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
      SEC fans answer anything that the SEC doesn't run...
      That's pretty silly in view of the fact that the Spread Option offenses run under Urban Meyer at Florida and Gene Chizik at Auburn are considered by some critics to be "gimmick offenses".
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        That's pretty silly in view of the fact that the Spread Option offenses run under Urban Meyer at Florida and Gene Chizik at Auburn are considered by some critics to be "gimmick offenses".
        I know that I think any offense that allows you to win more than you lose can't be gimmick. It is called great coaching taking what you have and putting them in the best possible situation. Oregon has speed so use it, if you have a mobile QB you aren't going to do drop back pocket passing.

Adopted Broncos:
        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
        Adopted posters:
        Everyone

Comment

SEC fans answer anything that the SEC doesn't run...
          No I'm specifically referring to Oregon.

Lot's of offenses run a spread offense. Auburn and Florida won with them. But it's not the same as what Oregon does.

Oregon lacks size. It's only speed. Auburn had a serious size advantage over Oregon. Sure they only won by 3 but they completely shut down Oregon's run game. And Auburn hadd a horrible defense that year.

They have a lot more trick plays and deception than any team in the country that runs a spread. Good on Chip to be creative but it'll never work if he goes to the NFL. Which a lot of people seem to think he will.

Really I shouldn't call it so much a gimmick offense. So much as I just really don't like the spread offense all around. I shouldn't just pin point it on Oregon. Their just the best at it right now so naturally I take my hatred to the leader at the top.

There is an overabundance of QB's and RB's coming out of spread offenses now that are failing big time in the NFL.

I also don't like how the spread offense is making college about video game numbers now. Because their just isn't enough talent in the country for defenses to keep up. I don't want to go out and watch a 70-63 West Virginia, Baylor game every week. But that's what we're getting in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

I want to see defenses earn a stop. Not just get lucky once a game that a receiver dropped a ball. You get that more in the SEC and as much as it pains me to say the Big 10 than anywhere else.

That Oregon and Stanford game was a good defensive battle. But those are rare out there. And my point is that even though Oregon can dominate the Pac-12 with it it's hard for them to make or win a national title because you can't just do it with speed alone. You have to have size too.

That's why the SEC has won 6 straight titles and could easily win 7 in a row. Make fun of me all you want but we're the ones winning the game that matters the most at the end of the year.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
            I know the classic arguments about Oregon's offense. Personally, I think the game would have been a lot different if the Ducks weren't missing 7 starters on defense. They're actually a bigger up front this year.

I think what was really hurting their running game is their tailback is not very big and isn't going to do much with draw plays if there's not a nice lane to run through.

I don't really buy that it's a gimmick. Almost every offense at every level relies on misdirection and the hope that they can get down the field with speed. Isn't that what the play action pass is? Don't traps and counters rely on misdirection?
            Football has rules. If an entire offensive system which functions within those rules succeeds enough to be emulated at several levels, it isn't a "gimmick".

Comment

Funny how you imply that I'm silly when it was his response not mine.
              sigpic

Comment

Funny how you imply that I'm silly when it was his response not mine.
                The pot calling the kettle black has always had a dark sense of humor, don't you think?

Comment

Yeah spread offense worked for Florida and Auburn until Saban built Alabama back into the powerhouse it used to be.

Now them and LSU shut that stuff down on a regular basis. Alabama embarrassed Tebow in his senior year in the SEC title.

They shut down Cam for an entire half and embarrassed him but we adjusted. And that was when their defense had a really down rebuilding year.

Outside of that Saban with enough time to gameplan shuts it all down. The SEC for awhile tried to play copycat and catch up with Florida running the spread.

Then LSU and Bama started dominating the conference because they run power football. Sure the spread allows you to win more games than you lose. But I'm more concerned with beating down the door at Alabama and it's not going to be with the spread.
                  sigpic

Comment

No I'm specifically referring to Oregon.

Lot's of offenses run a spread offense. Auburn and Florida won with them. But it's not the same as what Oregon does.

Oregon lacks size. It's only speed. Auburn had a serious size advantage over Oregon. Sure they only won by 3 but they completely shut down Oregon's run game. And Auburn hadd a horrible defense that year.

They have a lot more trick plays and deception than any team in the country that runs a spread. Good on Chip to be creative but it'll never work if he goes to the NFL. Which a lot of people seem to think he will.

Really I shouldn't call it so much a gimmick offense. So much as I just really don't like the spread offense all around. I shouldn't just pin point it on Oregon. Their just the best at it right now so naturally I take my hatred to the leader at the top.

There is an overabundance of QB's and RB's coming out of spread offenses now that are failing big time in the NFL.

I also don't like how the spread offense is making college about video game numbers now. Because their just isn't enough talent in the country for defenses to keep up. I don't want to go out and watch a 70-63 West Virginia, Baylor game every week. But that's what we're getting in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

I want to see defenses earn a stop. Not just get lucky once a game that a receiver dropped a ball. You get that more in the SEC and as much as it pains me to say the Big 10 than anywhere else.

That Oregon and Stanford game was a good defensive battle. But those are rare out there. And my point is that even though Oregon can dominate the Pac-12 with it it's hard for them to make or win a national title because you can't just do it with speed alone. You have to have size too.

That's why the SEC has won 6 straight titles and could easily win 7 in a row. Make fun of me all you want but we're the ones winning the game that matters the most at the end of the year.
                    Something seems off the team that won the SEC a couple of years ago had a horrible D, and then you say the SEC provides a D. Have you not seen the crazy scores that go on in the SEC because of their great Ds????

51-48 Missiouri vs Tenn
                    Seems like I can go to any Tenn game or Texas AM game and see extremely high scores, but the SEC has a great D. So a couple of teams is the bases for your argument, which is why you picked the two teams in the big 12 that is all offense and no D, which also happens to be at the bottom of the Big 12.

Big 12 has D as K state usually had but there are a couple of explosive offenses in the Big 12 and they caught K-state. There are D's in the Big 12 but there are also offenses in that pass the ball more than the SEC.

Adopted Broncos:
                    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                    Adopted posters:
                    Everyone

Comment

Something seems off the team that won the SEC a couple of years ago had a horrible D, and then you say the SEC provides a D. Have you not seen the crazy scores that go on in the SEC because of their great Ds????

51-48 Missiouri vs Tenn
                      Seems like I can go to any Tenn game or Texas AM game and see extremely high scores, but the SEC has a great D. So a couple of teams is the bases for your argument, which is why you picked the two teams in the big 12 that is all offense and no D, which also happens to be at the bottom of the Big 12.

Big 12 has D as K state usually had but there are a couple of explosive offenses in the Big 12 and they caught K-state. There are D's in the Big 12 but there are also offenses in that pass the ball more than the SEC.
                      Perhaps I picked the wrong game to make my point. But the top team in the SEC wouldn't get 52 hung on them.

The top team in the Pac-12 also had 51 hung on them the week before.

Missouri and Tennessee last I checked are not in a national title hunt. So as I stated I picked a wrong game with West Virginia and Baylor. Point is I hate seeing games where a defense can't get a stop to save their life.

For the purpose of this thread I'm purely comparing the top teams in the title hunt.

So the point remains valid. Oregon continues to fail when they come up against a bigger stronger defense.

SEC has 6 straight titles. Now try and argue that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Also the point wasn't that off.

Auburn had a horrible defense. Ranked in the 60's or 70's nationally. Near the bottom of the SEC that year.

And they still shut down Oregon's offense. Why? Because of a serious size advantage. Fairley was living in the Duck's backfield all night.
                        sigpic

Comment

The pot calling the kettle black has always had a dark sense of humor, don't you think?
                          Just because my football team won a national title with it doesn't mean I have to like the offensive style either. Every year but 1 Auburn has failed to run a successful spread offense in the SEC.

But my main point was that I don't like it because it doesn't translate to the NFl level. So why waste time with it?
                          sigpic

Comment

I have eight full and several half cousins who were born and raised in Alabama; most of them still live there. One, who lives in Talladega County, played and coached HS football and all his children currently attend the University of Alabama. When visiting him in August, I said many college football fans consider the SEC to be in its own league. He smiled and said that these things go in cycles; how wise and gracious.

I like to collect playbooks. I can see them from where I am now seated, and there are about a hundred of them. An offensive system may have been called a "gimmick" when it was first used, like the Carlisle Indian School when they started throwing passes in 1907. I can't find a single offense called "gimmick". The reason for that is that "gimmick" isn't a football term. It is pejorative, and as such isn't descriptive.

I'm sure the Single/Double Wing, Full House T, Wing-T, Split Back Veer, Wishbone, Option I, Spread Option and Pistol have all been called "gimmicks" by those who lack the football terminology to correctly describe and analyze what they don't like. As previously stated, there are no gimmicks in the game of football. There are the rules and what works within them.

Comment

I have eight full and several half cousins who were born and raised in Alabama; most of them still live there. One, who lives in Talladega County, played and coached HS football and all his children currently attend the University of Alabama. When visiting him in August, I said many college football fans consider the SEC to be in its own league. He smiled and said that these things go in cycles; how wise and gracious.

I like to collect playbooks. I can see them from where I am now seated, and there are about a hundred of them. An offensive system may have been called a "gimmick" when it was first used, like the Carlisle Indian School when they started throwing passes in 1907. I can't find a single offense called "gimmick". The reason for that is that "gimmick" isn't a football term. It is pejorative, and as such isn't descriptive.

I'm sure the Single/Double Wing, Full House T, Wing-T, Split Back Veer, Wishbone, Option I, Spread Option and Pistol have all been called "gimmicks" by those who lack the football terminology to correctly describe and analyze what they don't like. As previously stated, there are no gimmicks in the game of football. There are the rules and what works within them.
                              You really gotta get over that bro. I've already stated that I probably shouldn't have used that term. But go ahead and keep beating a dead horse.

Still doesn't mean I have to like the spread offense. And it sure doesn't mean I have to like Oregon.

Point is Oregon 0 national titles last 6 years.

SEC 6.
                              sigpic

Comment

Just because my football team won a national title with it doesn't mean I have to like the offensive style either. Every year but 1 Auburn has failed to run a successful spread offense in the SEC.

But my main point was that I don't like it because it doesn't translate to the NFl level. So why waste time with it?
                                The point is they are college coaches and I don't think they are trying to win at the NFL level I'm pretty sure they are trying to win at the college level so you do what gives you the best chance to win.

But I will say I can't wait till the 4 game playoff which they would make it larger but hopefully it stops the SEC bias like allowing a 2 loss team in over a 1 loss team. Which is what has helped the SEC reign dominance in the championship game. They are given magical tie breakers because they are the SEC.

Adopted Broncos:
                                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                                Adopted posters:
                                Everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X