Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Down goes Oregon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Utah is not in the Big 12 last I checked. But good try.

    And if you're trying to talk for PAC-12 they weren't PAC-12 at the time either. So that doesn't count.
    It's OK to say it. Go ahead. A Mountain West team beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. There, don't you feel better getting that out? I'm a Mountain West fan in college football, and last time I checked that game does indeed count. I love that game and always will.

    I'm not part of the argument about which is the strongest college football conference because, as I have already stated, I think it's the SEC. I'm not part of the argument unless the term "gimmick" comes into play, that is.

    For the last thirteen years of her life, I watched a college football game every Saturday with my mother who was a big LSU/SEC fan. She had a cousin who was All-American at LSU and a nephew (my cousin) who coached at Alabama, Montana State, Washington State, Southern Cal, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss and Missouri. As a result, I think I have a basis for my perception. You are correct in saying that the strength of SEC teams is their defenses.

    College football conferences are in a process of realignment. How ironic that it was one of the new SEC teams that defeated Alabama; in Tuscaloosa, too, how embarrassing. At least Tide fans can't use all of that paramilitary twelfth man stuff at College Station as an excuse.

    For years schools in BCS conferences have had pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting; an extremely unfair advantage. That's why the Utes victory over 'Bama in that Sugar Bowl was sweet indeed. :thumb:

    It looks like the Big East is in the process of fading away as a football conference. When you are in the Eastern Standard Time Zone and you have to invite Boise State (MST) and San Diego State (PST) to keep your conference afloat, there's something wrong with this picture.

    I have thought for years that the Mountain West was as good in football as the Big East, the 2011 New Mexico Bowl notwithstanding. When the two Mountain West teams, along with SMU, Houston, UCF and Memphis join the Big East next year while Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland and Rutgers follow West Virginia out, who will be left? USF, Louisville and Cincinnati? Temple just came back after being out for several years. At least the Mountain West was able to add Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii after losing Utah and BYU. Next year the Mountain West will add Utah State and San Jose State. I wish Boise and SDSU would just stay put and BYU, as hard as it is to say, would come back.

    As far as the other BCS conferences are concerned, I think the Big Ten is overrated in more than one way. The Big XII seems to have been weakened by conference realignment and some seem to blame Texas. Since they expanded by raiding the Big East, the ACC has disappointed. The PAC 12 has shown the ability to get to the top of college football, and they will again, I'm sure. As my cousin in Alabama says, these things go in cycles.

    A playoff might favor the SEC just because they'd probably have several participants. I don't know what the scheduling is, but I'm sure that once a playoff series begins, there will be one week between games. That is entirely a different dynamic than the long period between the end of the regular college football season and the bowl games. That might explain Utah's Sugar Bowl win ... coaching and preparation; plus the Alabama players getting into a game where they weren't twice as big as their opponents like their fans told them. That might also work to the SEC's advantage.
    Last edited by samparnell; 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #62
      MWC > SEC


      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
        MWC > SEC


        Atta Boy! :thumb:
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Atta Boy! :thumb:
          UNLV > Bama!!!!!!!!










          In basketball.... and probably Golf....

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            It's OK to say it. Go ahead. A Mountain West team beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. There, don't you feel better getting that out? I'm a Mountain West fan in college football, and last time I checked that game does indeed count. I love that game and always will.

            I'm not part of the argument about which is the strongest college football conference because, as I have already stated, I think it's the SEC. I'm not part of the argument unless the term "gimmick" comes into play, that is.

            For the last thirteen years of her life, I watched a college football game every Saturday with my mother who was a big LSU/SEC fan. She had a cousin who was All-American at LSU and a nephew (my cousin) who coached at Alabama, Montana State, Washington State, Southern Cal, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss and Missouri. As a result, I think I have a basis for my perception. You are correct in saying that the strength of SEC teams is their defenses.

            College football conferences are in a process of realignment. How ironic that it was one of the new SEC teams that defeated Alabama; in Tuscaloosa, too, how embarrassing. At least Tide fans can't use all of that paramilitary twelfth man stuff at College Station as an excuse.

            For years schools in BCS conferences have had pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting; an extremely unfair advantage. That's why the Utes victory over 'Bama in that Sugar Bowl was sweet indeed. :thumb:

            It looks like the Big East is in the process of fading away as a football conference. When you are in the Eastern Standard Time Zone and you have to invite Boise State (MST) and San Diego State (PST) to keep your conference afloat, there's something wrong with this picture.

            I have thought for years that the Mountain West was as good in football as the Big East, the 2011 New Mexico Bowl notwithstanding. When the two Mountain West teams, along with SMU, Houston, UCF and Memphis join the Big East next year while Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland and Rutgers follow West Virginia out, who will be left? USF, Louisville and Cincinnati? Temple just came back after being out for several years. At least the Mountain West was able to add Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii after losing Utah and BYU. Next year the Mountain West will add Utah State and San Jose State. I wish Boise and SDSU would just stay put and BYU, as hard as it is to say, would come back.

            As far as the other BCS conferences are concerned, I think the Big Ten is overrated in more than one way. The Big XII seems to have been weakened by conference realignment and some seem to blame Texas. Since they expanded by raiding the Big East, the ACC has disappointed. The PAC 12 has shown the ability to get to the top of college football, and they will again, I'm sure. As my cousin in Alabama says, these things go in cycles.

            A playoff might favor the SEC just because they'd probably have several participants. I don't know what the scheduling is, but I'm sure that once a playoff series begins, there will be one week between games. That is entirely a different dynamic than the long period between the end of the regular college football season and the bowl games. That might explain Utah's Sugar Bowl win ... coaching and preparation; plus the Alabama players getting into a game where they weren't twice as big as their opponents like their fans told them. That might also work to the SEC's advantage.
            Not gonna make me angry poking fun of Alabama for their losses.

            You do remember I'm an Auburn fan not Bama right. Noone was more stoked than me about them losing those games.

            I do know what the excuse would be though. At least for the Utah game anyway. Their excuse was disappointment to be there after losing a national title shot to Florida. And Saban suspended players for the game.

            Not my excuses just theirs. They still got their tailes whipped and big bad Alabama is supposed to have the backups to still beat Utah.

            I'm obviously not stupid enough to say the SEC never loses an out of conference game like some of you seem to think I'm saying.

            But the SEC is 7-0 against other conference in BCS title games.

            The point I was makin from the beginning is what can win national titles. Not just a lot of games.

            And yes I'm glad Texas A&M is doing so well. I've been on their wagon from the beginning saying they could succeed. I laughed for months and people who said Missouri would have more success in the SEC than A&M. Yes they are former Big 12. But Texas is still south.

            As for the MWC yeah they got their day in the sun once.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
              MWC > SEC


              SEC> college football.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                UNLV > Bama!!!!!!!!









                In basketball.... and probably Golf....
                You guys really do seem to have a hard time understanding that I'm not a Bama fan.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                  You do remember I'm an Auburn fan not Bama right. Noone was more stoked than me about them losing those games.
                  Most of my cousins in Alabama are Auburn fans including the one who lives at the foot of Cheaha Mountain. When one drives up to their house, the decor is all Auburn orange and blue.

                  I think it's too bad the Iron Bowl is no longer played at Legion Field Stadium. Many historic games were played there. My personal favorite is the 1970 contest when Alabama hosted the Southern Cal Trojans.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    I'm probably one of the few DIE-HARD SEC fans that live in Big-Ten country
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Most of my cousins in Alabama are Auburn fans including the one who lives at the foot of Cheaha Mountain. When one drives up to their house, the decor is all Auburn orange and blue.

                      I think it's too bad the Iron Bowl is no longer played at Legion Field Stadium. Many historic games were played there. My personal favorite is the 1970 contest when Alabama hosted the Southern Cal Trojans.
                      I'm glad it's no longer played there. It was home field advantage for Alabama every year. It's a 40 minute drive from Tuscaloosa and hour 15 minutes from Auburn.

                      So it was closer on top of the fact that frankly they have more fans in the state.

                      Our record against them has improved significantly since the switch. In fact we have only lost once in history in Tuscaloosa. About to be twice though come Saturday.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        2008 Sugar Bowl: Utah 31 Alabama 17
                        Big enough for you?
                        Wouldn't it be the 2009 Sugar Bowl?. The 2008 Sugar Bowl was bittersweet for me - Hawai'i vs Georgia. Also, UGA got robbed that year, they should have been playing in the BCS game IIRC.
                        HE>i

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Well it does work seeing as though they've only lost once

                          Go Irish now
                          Last edited by Broncoholic3233; 11-24-2012, 12:26 AM.
                          2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Broncoboy6 View Post
                            Wouldn't it be the 2009 Sugar Bowl?. The 2008 Sugar Bowl was bittersweet for me - Hawai'i vs Georgia. Also, UGA got robbed that year, they should have been playing in the BCS game IIRC.
                            The one following the 2008 season played in Jan. 2, 2009.

                            Phil Steele is my reference, and he apparently uses just one year for a season, if you consider bowl games an extension of the season, which they actually are. The Bowl games start in Dec. and end in January.
                            Last edited by samparnell; 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Lets go USC

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Come on USC, put Florida in the championship game
                                "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X