Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solving the NCAA Championship Playoff System

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Solving the NCAA Championship Playoff System

    First, expand the playoffs to eight teams.

    Second, give automatic bids to the Big 5 Conference Champions.

    Third, bring back the BCS computer system with the tweak of replacing the Harris Poll with the current committee.

    Now, how it works is that the BCS poll starts at the same time the Committee poll starts and concludes at the end of the Championship Games. After the automatic bids are in, the committee reviews the final BCS poll. If a non Big 5 conference team makes it to the top 8 in the BCS poll, they too receive an automatic bid. The remaining two teams are chosen by the committee. The committee shall get to choose three if there isn't a non Big 5 conference team in the top 8 of the BCS poll.

    After all 8 playoff teams are chosen, the committee seeds them 1 - 8 and the playoffs begin.

    Also, in order to make all things equal with the Big 5, the Big XII must create a North and South Division and also have a Championship Game. They should split it geographically with the North Division consisting of West Virginia, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., and Oklahoma St. and the South Division consisting of Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, and OU. They should continue to play the round robin with the division winners playing for the championship and the automatic bid. Then they can add teams later.

    Thoughts?
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

  • #2
    Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
    First, expand the playoffs to eight teams.

    Second, give automatic bids to the Big 5 Conference Champions.

    Third, bring back the BCS computer system with the tweak of replacing the Harris Poll with the current committee.

    Now, how it works is that the BCS poll starts at the same time the Committee poll starts and concludes at the end of the Championship Games. After the automatic bids are in, the committee reviews the final BCS poll. If a non Big 5 conference team makes it to the top 8 in the BCS poll, they too receive an automatic bid. The remaining two teams are chosen by the committee. The committee shall get to choose three if there isn't a non Big 5 conference team in the top 8 of the BCS poll.

    After all 8 playoff teams are chosen, the committee seeds them 1 - 8 and the playoffs begin.

    Also, in order to make all things equal with the Big 5, the Big XII must create a North and South Division and also have a Championship Game. They should split it geographically with the North Division consisting of West Virginia, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., and Oklahoma St. and the South Division consisting of Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, and OU. They should continue to play the round robin with the division winners playing for the championship and the automatic bid. Then they can add teams later.

    Thoughts?
    i ALWAYS debate this with friends and family, all the time. your scenario is almost identical to mine so naturally i agree with you totally.

    but i think the committee can go ahead and just vote in the last 3 WC spots, at least at first. what i would like see happen in the future is to have the 5 super conferences all have championship games, all the same amount of schools, and all play each other and only each other in non conference games.

    the reason for having the same amount of schools in each conference is so they could seed them all and have the 1's play the 1's and the 2's play the 2's and so on, in the non conference games.

    that sucks for the smaller schools but they can have like a nit type playoff as well, i know this is kind of radical but this is how it needs to be done in order for college football to really become what it can be in my mind.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I like the idea of a Cinderella team having a chance, thus the addition of the BCS poll and the opportunity for an automatic bid for the non super conference teams.

      Also, don't you think if the Big XII did create two divisions that the Big XII South would be talked about like the SEC West?
      Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
      Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
      Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        Why is the discussion always 4-8-16 teams? How about 6? Top 2 seed receive a Bye.

        Bracket this year would be:

        1. Alabama
        2. Oregon

        Baylor vs. Florida State
        TCU vs. Ohio State

        Obviously it's a nice fit this year but I'd think 5 "Power Conference" Champions and an at-large bid would be a formula that could work just about any year. Perhaps have a clause that Conference Champions can't have more than 2-losses or something.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Maharishineo View Post
          Why is the discussion always 4-8-16 teams? How about 6? Top 2 seed receive a Bye.

          Bracket this year would be:

          1. Alabama
          2. Oregon

          Baylor vs. Florida State
          TCU vs. Ohio State

          Obviously it's a nice fit this year but I'd think 5 "Power Conference" Champions and an at-large bid would be a formula that could work just about any year. Perhaps have a clause that Conference Champions can't have more than 2-losses or something.
          I actually mentioned this yesterday and I like it.

          Also people have to realize the Big 12 can't just create two divisions and have a championship. They would've already done so if it was that simple.

          NCAa rule states that in order for a conference to have two divisions and a conference championship they have to have a minimum of 12 teams. So the Big 12 currently has no choice but to not have one.

          If they want a fair shot at playoffs they are going to have to find two more teams to join. I would start with Boisie again.

          It's absurd anyway for a conference to be considers power 5 with only 10 teams and not have a championship game while all the others right now have at minimum 12.

          It's really a Power 4 right now.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Big 12 really needs to add 2 teams and go to a title game. It's been made obvious that is what it is going to take in order to really be considered for a playoff team.

            There are a few teams that could be definite additions. Boise St. Colorado St. Maybe even teams like Marshall, Memphis or Houston if they continue to play well (Houston more geographically, but I'm sure they could play some teams in the conference tight).

            They are going to need to do this as long as they have teams that aren't named "Oklahoma" or "Texas" winning the conference.
            LET 'ER BUCK!!!
            Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
              I actually mentioned this yesterday and I like it.

              Also people have to realize the Big 12 can't just create two divisions and have a championship. They would've already done so if it was that simple.

              NCAa rule states that in order for a conference to have two divisions and a conference championship they have to have a minimum of 12 teams. So the Big 12 currently has no choice but to not have one.

              If they want a fair shot at playoffs they are going to have to find two more teams to join. I would start with Boisie again.

              It's absurd anyway for a conference to be considers power 5 with only 10 teams and not have a championship game while all the others right now have at minimum 12.

              It's really a Power 4 right now.

              I brought this up in another thread & the big twelve wouldn't have to add teams, they'd merely have to petition. Read link.


              http://fansided.com/2014/12/08/big-1...pionship-game/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
                First, expand the playoffs to eight teams.
                Yes
                Second, give automatic bids to the Big 5 Conference Champions.
                All 8 Major conference champions should get an automatic bid into the post season playoff tourney. Non-conference champions do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

                Third, bring back the BCS computer system with the tweak of replacing the Harris Poll with the current committee.
                No more computers!!!!

                Also, in order to make all things equal with the Big 5, the Big XII must create a North and South Division and also have a Championship Game. They should split it geographically with the North Division consisting of West Virginia, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., and Oklahoma St. and the South Division consisting of Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, and OU. They should continue to play the round robin with the division winners playing for the championship and the automatic bid. Then they can add teams later.
                I am 100% against divisions. The team with the best record at the end of the season should be the champion.
                "People in the South Stands used to stand the whole game."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Colorado1876 View Post
                  Yes
                  All 8 Major conference champions should get an automatic bid into the post season playoff tourney. Non-conference champions do not deserve to be in the playoffs.
                  Besides the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 who are your other three? Do you mean American Athletic Conference, the Mountain West Conference and Conference USA? What about Notre Dame and BYU?

                  Conference realignment has produced conferences with twelve, thirteen and fourteen teams. In view of the fact that teams play twelve games, don't you think a conference championship between the winners of two divisions is a more practical way of determining the conference champion?
                  Last edited by samparnell; 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are only 5 major conferences and conferences like the Mountain West, AAC and C-USA do not deserve auto bids.

                    Conference runner ups would've played a much tougher schedule and potentially also have better records.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Besides the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 who are your other three? Do you mean American Athletic Conference, the Mountain West Conference and Conference USA? What about Notre Dame and BYU?
                      Realignments would obviously be necessary for my hypothetical organization. Independent teams (in lieu of full membership) would have to schedule a certain amount of games with an affiliated conference whom agrees to allow said independents to participate in their championship. I would also support the disintegration of the Big 12, which would leave only 4 major conferences, significantly simplifying the entire process.

                      Conference realignment has produced conferences with twelve, thirteen and fourteen teams. In view of the fact that teams play twelve games, don't you think a conference championship between the winners of two divisions is a more practical way of determining the conference champion?
                      hence, why I support a realignment with 8 slightly smaller conferences as opposed to 4 consolidated "super"-conferences. 8 teams would imply another round added to the CFP.
                      "People in the South Stands used to stand the whole game."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        There are only 5 major conferences and conferences like the Mountain West, AAC and C-USA do not deserve auto bids.

                        Conference runner ups would've played a much tougher schedule and potentially also have better records.
                        are you okay with a national champion which hypothetically was not also the champion of their own conference?
                        "People in the South Stands used to stand the whole game."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Colorado1876 View Post
                          Realignments would obviously be necessary for my hypothetical organization. Independent teams (in lieu of full membership) would have to schedule a certain amount of games with an affiliated conference whom agrees to allow said independents to participate in their championship. I would also support the disintegration of the Big 12, which would leave only 4 major conferences, significantly simplifying the entire process.

                          hence, why I support a realignment with 8 slightly smaller conferences as opposed to 4 consolidated "super"-conferences. 8 teams would imply another round added to the CFP.
                          You lost me.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Colorado1876 View Post
                            are you okay with a national champion which hypothetically was not also the champion of their own conference?
                            Under the BCS system no I was not. Under the new playoff system I have no problem with it. Although preferrably with an 8 team playoff not 4.

                            Under the current 4 team I would also still say they should be a conference champion.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                              Under the BCS system no I was not. Under the new playoff system I have no problem with it. Although preferrably with an 8 team playoff not 4.
                              What logic is that based on? How can a team be the best in the entire nation if they aren't even the best in their own conference?
                              "People in the South Stands used to stand the whole game."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X