• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TXBRONC
    Captain
    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mrsolo
    Actually, unless I've missed something and I listen to OKC and Tulsa sports talk radio every day, Stoops has not said anything about it today. He only talked about it yesterday because Tuesday is the weekly press conference and his players asked him to speak out for them. I think its the sign of a good coach. He told his players not to speak about it. Players typically aren't as well "trained"-for lack of a better word- to speak without letting their emotions get the best of them.

It was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. The illegal touching, blowing the ball dead and granting possession with absolutely NO CLUE where the ball was, and the less impactful pass interference/tipped pass call.

I think Stoops and the players are ready to move on. I feel sorry for Middle Tennessee.

On another note....did anyone catch Kirk Herbstreit's comments Saturday night? He actually said that Adrian Peterson "should" drop in the Heisman race because of the loss. "Should"??? He will in some voters' minds because nowadays your team just about has to be undefeated for you to win. But saying he "should" drop is absurd. He had 145 yards in the 4th quarter. He's 95% of the reason OU took over that game.
    Well guess you did miss something because Stoops and University officals were still crying about it as of yesterday.

Of coarse you think that it was one of the worst officated games you've ever seen because OU was the one that got hosed. Now if the roles were reversed I doubt very many Sooner fans would be calling for Stoops to forfeit the game. Btw I don't recall the Sooners saying they didn't deserve a chance to play for the BCS National Champion a few years ago after getting the heads handed to them by KSU. Do you? What do recall is that still got to play in the BCS National Title Game eventhough USC was argueably the best team in the nation.

Where did you the idea that you pretty much have to go undefeated to win the Heisman? Dayne, White, Palmer, and George all come to mind as players that were not on undefeated teams and yet they won the Heisman. Its about keep your guy in the forefront of media, winning big games (for Peterson one of those will be the Red River Classic) and putting up solid numbers week in and week out.

Please do not try and pass off to me how well trained these OU's players are in ignoring whats going on. Like most teams they take their que for their head coach. Stoops crys that PAC-10 has to use non confernce officals for these non coferance game or OU wont play at Washington next season. Sounds like a 3 year old that if he doesn't get his way he going to throw temper tantrum.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Buff_bronc_fan
      Fuggeddaboudit
      • Mar 2005

Seriously, OU blew this waaaaay out of proportion. They act like it was the 1st blown call ever and they were the 1st school that has ever been negatively affected by a missed call.... Gimme a break. Woelk Agrees:

Woelk: Perspective lost in OU overreaction
      September 20, 2006

Anybody who saw the news item regarding Pac-10 instant replay official Gordon Riese had to have cringed.

Riese, the man who failed to overturn a call that ultimately led to Oregon defeating Oklahoma last weekend, actually received death threats after the game. His wife and kids were also threatened, to the point that the family has required police protection.

Let me run that by you again.

Death threats. Because a football game didn't come out the way some moronic coward wanted it to. (The moron part is obvious. Coward because the threats were anonymous).

Seriously folks, have we lost all perspective? Is the outcome of a college football game so important that it's worth threatening a man's life? Threatening his wife and kids?

Evidently it is in Oklahoma — but guaranteed, that's not the only place. Change the name of the school to just about any Division I program, and you'd have a similar situation. Out there on the fringe of every major program are folks whose entire sense of self-worth is tied to a bunch of 20-year-olds they've likely never met. What kind of pathetic lives these folks have otherwise is hard to imagine — and to be honest, downright scary.

The sad part is that OU officials unwittingly fed the fire in this instance.

On Monday, OU president David Boren fired off a letter to the Big 12, calling the situation an "outrageous injustice," and demanding that the conference actually eliminate the game from the record book.

The levels at which Boren comes off looking like a fool are numerous.

For starters, Boren is the president of a university whose basketball program has just been penalized by the NCAA for a long, long list of infractions (a nice word for cheating).

Then, just a month ago, Boren's football team had to kick two players off the squad for taking illegal payments from a car dealer. (Yep that's also called cheating, and you can bet the NCAA will punish the department again.)

Let's see here: one program convicted of cheating, another on its way. But when a guy makes an honest mistake — granted, a real doozy — the prez screams "outrageous injustice"?

Then there's the fact that Boren acts as if his team were the first to ever be victimized by a bad call. Does that mean officials must now erase the outcome of every game ever decided by a questionable decision?

Of course not — but Boren's complete loss of perspective and his gross overreaction only gave tacit permission to that fringe group of fans that believes death threats are part of the game.

Equally culpable is OU coach Bob Stoops, who spent all day Monday complaining, then backed off only slightly on Tuesday.

"We can't sit here and say OK," Stoops said at his weekly press conference. "It's unacceptable and inexcusable, to them (the players) and to us, because we can't get it back, and they earned it. That's the hard truth of it, and now our situation is severely altered."

Thing is, I like Stoops. I like the way he runs his program, I like the way he coaches and I like the things he tries to teach his kids.

But Stoops missed the boat on this one.

"We are extremely disappointed with not only the outcome of the game, but the circumstances that dictated that outcome. We believe we played well enough to win, and it is obviously frustrating not to reap the rewards of that effort.

"But we will move on. Life is not always fair, and every one of these young men will encounter far more serious obstacles and far more dire circumstances in their lives than simply losing a football game. We will learn from this adversity, we will be a better team, and more importantly, we will be better men. We will not allow this to become the defining moment of our season or our lives."

That's what Stoops could have said. He could have used the situation as an opportunity to teach his players a life lesson they would remember forever.

But instead, Stoops blew it — and he can't even blame instant replay for this one.

Comment

• Broncos72690
        Bench Warmer
        • Jul 2006

The playclock didn't lose the game for Oregon.

I didn't see the pushoff at all.

plus the refs were blind and couldn't see anything anyway. Thats why they're horrible refs and need to be kicked out of the ncaa.

Comment

• TXBRONC
          Captain
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Broncos72690

plus the refs were blind and couldn't see anything anyway. Thats why they're horrible refs and need to be kicked out of the ncaa.
          Thankfully the NCAA doesn't take its que from fans.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Buff_bronc_fan
            Fuggeddaboudit
            • Mar 2005

Yet another person who is laughing at Oklahoma and their double standard/giant overreaction:

Knight tweaks OU over officiating flap
            / Associated Press
            Posted: 1 hour ago

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Texas Tech basketball coach Bob Knight, whose Red Raiders lost to Oklahoma on a controversial call three years ago, said he knows how fans feel about wanting a forfeit after OU's loss to Oregon on Saturday.

Knight called for Oklahoma to forfeit its basketball game with Tech on Jan. 20, 2003, when the Sooners won 69-64 in overtime at Norman after two clock controversies in the final seconds of regulation. Video replay later showed the game clock started late after OU in-bounded the ball on the game-tying drive.

"Maybe now those people at Oklahoma understand what I was talking about," Knight told The Oklahoman.

"Had Oklahoma forfeited that game against us like I suggested, they would have gotten far more positive publicity out of that than if they had gone to the Final Four that year. Now I guess the 'duck' is swimming in the other pond."

Oregon scored two touchdowns late to beat Oklahoma 34-33, including the game-winner that came after the Ducks recovered an onside kick. Video replay showed Oregon touched the ball before it went the required 10 yards, but the replay official did not overturn the call.

The replay official, Gordon Riese, who was suspended by the Pac-10 for one game, requested a leave of absence for the remainder of the season, the league announced Wednesday.

Comment

• TXBRONC
              Captain
              • Jul 2003

So did the Big 12 get rid of the refs that hosed Texas Tech three years ago?

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• DrunkPanda
                Banned User
                • Oct 2004

No, because if they're fired, then someone from another coference could hire them. The refs could have controlled it, but they chose not to.
                then the word you are looking for is banned, not suspended. it was obvious that they intentionally gave the game to the ducks so i think a one game suspension is too soft. i don't know what a proper punishment would be though. maybe 1 season suspension

Comment

• broncofan303
                  Special Teams
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                  So did the Big 12 get rid of the refs that hosed Texas Tech three years ago?
                  You can't tell me that the Oregon call was more ridiculous than the Tech call...

Bad calls happen all the time, thats understandable, but all the people that are arguing this has to understand... THEY HAD A CHANCE TO FIX IT AND THEY DIDN'T!!!

But yes, I do agree, this was a good discussion from Saturday all the way to Thursday but it is time to move along... Ya know, we need to start talking about the biggest upset in college football this weekend...CU over Georiga... :thumb:
                  fight u dwn the fied..cu must win.. fight fight fr Victoy..cu knows no defet! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shouler to shulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

Comment

• DrunkPanda
                    Banned User
                    • Oct 2004

Actually, unless I've missed something and I listen to OKC and Tulsa sports talk radio every day, Stoops has not said anything about it today. He only talked about it yesterday because Tuesday is the weekly press conference and his players asked him to speak out for them. I think its the sign of a good coach. He told his players not to speak about it. Players typically aren't as well "trained"-for lack of a better word- to speak without letting their emotions get the best of them.

It was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. The illegal touching, blowing the ball dead and granting possession with absolutely NO CLUE where the ball was, and the less impactful pass interference/tipped pass call.

I think Stoops and the players are ready to move on. I feel sorry for Middle Tennessee.

On another note....did anyone catch Kirk Herbstreit's comments Saturday night? He actually said that Adrian Peterson "should" drop in the Heisman race because of the loss. "Should"??? He will in some voters' minds because nowadays your team just about has to be undefeated for you to win. But saying he "should" drop is absurd. He had 145 yards in the 4th quarter. He's 95% of the reason OU took over that game.
                    don't pay attention to what herbstreit says. he's a dumbass. the whole espn college gameday crew are retards. which makes me a little nervous that herbstreit says that he still thinks hawkins is a good coach

Comment

• DrunkPanda
                      Banned User
                      • Oct 2004

what the hell? are you joking? there is less than a second between when the playclock hit zero and when the ball is snapped in both videos. that means no delay of game. the ref will not call that delay of game ever, no matter who is playing

Comment

• TXBRONC
                        Captain
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by broncofan303
                        You can't tell me that the Oregon call was more ridiculous than the Tech call...

Bad calls happen all the time, thats understandable, but all the people that are arguing this has to understand... THEY HAD A CHANCE TO FIX IT AND THEY DIDN'T!!!

But yes, I do agree, this was a good discussion from Saturday all the way to Thursday but it is time to move along... Ya know, we need to start talking about the biggest upset in college football this weekend...CU over Georiga... :thumb:

Only if this is Fantasy Island will that happen.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• mrsolo
                          Bench Warmer
                          • Feb 2004

Well guess you did miss something because Stoops and University officals were still crying about it as of yesterday.

Of coarse you think that it was one of the worst officated games you've ever seen because OU was the one that got hosed. Now if the roles were reversed I doubt very many Sooner fans would be calling for Stoops to forfeit the game. Btw I don't recall the Sooners saying they didn't deserve a chance to play for the BCS National Champion a few years ago after getting the heads handed to them by KSU. Do you? What do recall is that still got to play in the BCS National Title Game eventhough USC was argueably the best team in the nation.

Where did you the idea that you pretty much have to go undefeated to win the Heisman? Dayne, White, Palmer, and George all come to mind as players that were not on undefeated teams and yet they won the Heisman. Its about keep your guy in the forefront of media, winning big games (for Peterson one of those will be the Red River Classic) and putting up solid numbers week in and week out.

Please do not try and pass off to me how well trained these OU's players are in ignoring whats going on. Like most teams they take their que for their head coach. Stoops crys that PAC-10 has to use non confernce officals for these non coferance game or OU wont play at Washington next season. Sounds like a 3 year old that if he doesn't get his way he going to throw temper tantrum.
                          No....apparently you don't know how the media works. Bob Stoops' press conference, which happens every TUESDAY at 12:00PM was the last public statement he made about the game. He was asked to speak out by his team. YOU got the info on Wednesday, because that's how long it takes it to hit the media circuit. Please try and get you facts straight before straightening me out.

As for OU in the '03 championship game.....the BCS decided that OU should play in the game. They were 3rd in both voter polls, but the adopted and approved BCS formula put them in the game. They had to play a conference championship game and USC did not. Apparently the BCS formula did not punish them enough for that game in your eyes, as well as the eyes of many others(USC and their fans).

You obviously are just spot reading my post and attacking(for no apparent reason, except maybe that you're a texas fan and like taking shots at Sooners) because I never said that OU's players were trained to ignore what is going on. I said "Players typically aren't as well "trained"-for lack of a better word- to speak without letting their emotions get the best of them." I guess I have to explain that comment. That means the are not trained to ignore what's going on....hence Bob Stoops speaking for them. Geez!! I don't know what your problem is, but I dont' think I did or said anything to draw such a smart assed post from you. Maybe you should get more sleep.
                          I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

• rcsodak
                            Step UP, or Step OFF!
                            • Oct 2003

I was listening to the Mike & Mike In the Morning program and they were talking about how Stoops and OU officials are still focused on what happened last Saturday. I understand the Sooners they got hosed but its now Wednesday and Stoops still is talking about it. Regardless of how bad it was and I don't deny it was bad they do have game in three days.

Also on the same program they talked about how some OU fans have sent death threats to the replay offical, besides it being illegal its cowardly and tasteless. :nono:
                            That's what HE's said.....

....though I'll wait until I hear 'officially' before I believe it.

The sooners are a nationally watched team......so it could have been anybody, if it did, indeed happen.

Or, it could have been a duck fan, attempting to get OU fans in trouble.

Oh, snap....

...I bet it was GW! He IS from texas, afterall.......
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• TXBRONC
                              Captain
                              • Jul 2003

No....apparently you don't know how the media works. Bob Stoops' press conference, which happens every TUESDAY at 12:00PM was the last public statement he made about the game. He was asked to speak out by his team. YOU got the info on Wednesday, because that's how long it takes it to hit the media circuit. Please try and get you facts straight before straightening me out.
                              I really don't care about the media cycle in Oklahoma. Whatever it is it is. The real point is that Stoops and the OU are still crying over it. It time for them to move on. Btw I wasn't trying straighten you out.

As for OU in the '03 championship game.....the BCS decided that OU should play in the game. They were 3rd in both voter polls, but the adopted and approved BCS formula put them in the game. They had to play a conference championship game and USC did not. Apparently the BCS formula did not punish them enough for that game in your eyes, as well as the eyes of many others(USC and their fans).
                              Ok so both the AP and Coaches poll had OU ranked 3rd. I'm pretty sure the Coaches poll had USC at number 2 in the nation. Also, what do you mean by saying I don't think the BCS fomula punished OU enough? How could the BCS formula punished OU when they still got to play for the BSC National Championship? And this after they had gotten their butts kicked by KSU. What happen in '03 is every bit as bad as what happened in Eugene last Saturday.

You obviously are just spot reading my post and attacking(for no apparent reason, except maybe that you're a texas fan and like taking shots at Sooners) because I never said that OU's players were trained to ignore what is going on. I said "Players typically aren't as well "trained"-for lack of a better word- to speak without letting their emotions get the best of them." I guess I have to explain that comment. That means the are not trained to ignore what's going on....hence Bob Stoops speaking for them. Geez!! I don't know what your problem is, but I dont' think I did or said anything to draw such a smart assed post from you. Maybe you should get more sleep.
                              No I read through your post I just misread it. My mistake. Hey why are you taking I kicked dirt in your face. Now would you like show me where I made a personal attack on you, OU, or OU fans. I'm saying its time for you all to get over it and move on. Stoops, and the OU president should just close their pieholes now and let it go.

Also you don't know me, I live in Texas but the team I have followed since childhood is USC. I've rooted for UT especially in the Red River Classic but USC is my favorite college team.

Finally your post made it sound like this the worst thing that has ever happened in college football. It's not I have nothing against you and if think my post was smart assed that's your choice.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• TXBRONC
                                Captain
                                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by rcsodak
                                That's what HE's said.....

....though I'll wait until I hear 'officially' before I believe it.

The sooners are a nationally watched team......so it could have been anybody, if it did, indeed happen.

Or, it could have been a duck fan, attempting to get OU fans in trouble.

Oh, snap....

...I bet it was GW! He IS from texas, afterall.......
                                Right some OU Duck fans just want to get OU fans in trouble. If you don't believe it then that's you problem. If you really don't think that some OU fans would be capable of that then you've got your head in the sand.

The leader of only remaining super power in world has better things to than bad mouth OU fans don't you think?

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                                X