X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quinns proday (nfl.com)

Notre Dame QB Quinn works out for scouts

NFL.com wire reports

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (March 4, 2007) -- Brady Quinn finally gave NFL scouts, coaches, general managers and owners an up-close look at what he can do on the field.

Quinn, whose only workout at the NFL Combine was benchpressing 225 pounds 24 times, took part in a half-hour workout at Notre Dame's Pro Day. He threw a variety of passes, with representatives from every NFL team watching.

"We threw everything people wanted to see," Irish coach Charlie Weis said. "We put him through every throw that any NFL organization would want to see -- from moving in the pocket, to moving from the pocket, to three-step, to five-step to seven-step. I think now they have enough information to make a critical evaluation, if they didn't have enough on tape already."

Quinn, who had fluid drained from his right knee at halftime of a game against Southern California and aggravated the injury in the Sugar Bowl against LSU, didn't take part in any of the agility drills: the 40-yard dash or the 60-yard shuttle run. He said he'd do that at Notre Dame's next Pro Day on March 22.

"I want to be 100 percent," he said. "I'm not quite there yet, but I will be soon."

Quinn has been the center of much draft speculation, particularly over whether the Oakland Raiders will use the No. 1 overall pick to take him or LSU's JaMarcus Russell.

Some draft analysts have said Quinn's draft status has been weakened since the end of the season as NFL teams reviewed the way he played, particularly in the Sugar Bowl. Quinn said he can't understand how people are saying his stock is going down.

"We haven't done anything since then and people are sitting there saying, 'You're stock's going up, you're stock's going down,"' Quinn said. "It's kind of comical in that sense. You're just working out, doing the best you can every day."

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress and Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel were both impressed by Quinn's performance.

"Really, he made more throws here than you'd think about making at the combine," Childress said. "I think he threw about 60 balls here today and it takes a little bit of endurance to be able to do that and he did it pretty rapid-fire succession."

Crennel said Quinn clearly had zip on his passes.

"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."

Quinn threw 63 passes, connecting on 58 of them. On two occasions, former Irish receiver Matt Shelton got his hands on passes but couldn't pull them in. Rhema McKnight couldn't catch a 35-yard pass or a 20-yard pass he dived for. Quinn also overthrew tailback Darius Walker on a 25-yard pass.

"I thought there were four catchable balls and one crummy throw to the right-hand side," Weis said.

Quinn said he was pleased with his performance, although he thought he could have done better.

"I think there's definitely still room for improvement," he said.

Quinn plans to return to Arizona to continue to prepare for the draft. Crennel said he didn't mind that Quinn didn't show off his speed.

"He's a quarterback, he doesn't have to run a 40. He showed he has good feet on the movement drills that he did because he did some rollouts, he did some play-actions. You can see his feet move," Crennel said. "And hopefully he doesn't have to run a 40, and if he's running a 40, they'll be chasing him."

About 100 people were at Notre Dame's indoor practice facility to watch the workout, including some of Quinn's former teammates -- and his possible replacement -- Jimmy Clausen. Several other former Irish players also worked out, including offensive guard Dan Santucci and offensive tackle Ryan Harris.

"Hopefully everyone's stock went up today," Quinn said.

Quinn said he doesn't have any preference for who drafts him, he just wants to be drafted as high as possible on April 28.

"I just want to go No. 1," Quinn said. "That's really what I'm looking forward to, and I hope that will be the case in the end."
    GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Thanks for the update.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Well that's lovely that Crennel apparently likes the guy. But guess who makes the draft picks? Romeo Crennel? WRONG! Phil Savage? YEP!! Savage should draft Joe Thomas and in so doing get a starter at LT worth keeping for years to come.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
        Well that's lovely that Crennel apparently likes the guy. But guess who makes the draft picks? Romeo Crennel? WRONG! Phil Savage? YEP!! Savage should draft Joe Thomas and in so doing get a starter at LT worth keeping for years to come.
        I've seen a lot of mocks where Detroit takes Thomas ahead of Cleveland.

What then, Charlie Brown? What if he's not there at #3?
        HEAR ME ROAR!
        sigpic
        Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals

He wants Alan Branch then.

Comment

Let me say this much, why would Detroit draft Thomas when they already have George Foster, Jeff Backus, and Jonathan Scott?

They sound to me like a team that doesn't need an offensive tackle. If they are going to draft a tackle in the first round, they gonna follow up with a WR yet again in the second?!

Comment

Let me say this much, why would Detroit draft Thomas when they already have George Foster, Jeff Backus, and Jonathan Scott?

They sound to me like a team that doesn't need an offensive tackle. If they are going to draft a tackle in the first round, they gonna follow up with a WR yet again in the second?!
              Just play the scenario out in your mind. I'm not saying it definitely WILL happen. I just am curious:

If Joe Thomas is not available when the Browns are up to bat in the first round, who do you want them to draft?
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic
              Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Just play the scenario out in your mind. I'm not saying it definitely WILL happen. I just am curious:

If Joe Thomas is not available when the Browns are up to bat in the first round, who do you want them to draft?
                Trade down, simple as that and draft an offensive tackle. Someone like say Levi Brown.

Comment

quinn and other irish march 4th and quinns march 22nd pro day

NOTRE DAME: MARCH 4
                  The workout was held in ideal conditions outdoors on FieldTurf. There were about 65 scouts and coaches from about 30 NFL teams, including Vikings head coach Brad Childress, Browns coach Romeo Crennel and Broncos coach Gary Kubiak. Other decision-makers in attendances included Tony Softli (Rams) and Ted Thompson (Packers).

Defensive lineman Derek Landri had an MCL injury and didn't work out. He will work out at Notre Dame's second Pro Day on March 22, as will defensive back Nedu Ndukwe.
                  Player Position Gil's comments
                  Brady Quinn QB
                  Quinn did only passing drills and had a good workout, showing good velocity and good anticpaction. Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis ran the passing drills. Quinn threw to Irish tight end Marcus Freeman and receivers Rhema McKnight, Darius Walker and Matt Shelton, who finished at Notre Dame in 2005. On March 22, Quinn weighed in 233 pounds. He ran indoors on FieldTurf. He ran his 40s faster than expected (4.82 and 4.73). He also ran the short shuttle in 4.22 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.79 (with tiny cones, not tall ones). In addition, he had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-7 broad jump.
                  Marcus Freeman TE
                  Freeman (6-2¼, 247) ran two 40s in 4.88 and 4.90 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.24 and the three-cone drill in 6.83. He also had a 33-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and 20 bench presses.
                  Ryan Harris T
                  Harris did 25 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the Combine.
                  Rhema McKnight WR
                  McKnight ran his the 40-yard dash in 4.56 and 4.53. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the Combine.
                  Mike Richardson DB
                  Richardson (5-10¾, 188 pounds) ran his 40s in 4.48 and 4.50. He also had a 36-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-7 broad jump, 4.05 short shuttle and 6.27 three-cone drill.
                  Darius Walker WR
                  Walker ran his 40s in 4.56 and 4.57, which was almost identical to his performance at the Combine.
                  GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by antiwup
                    Broncos coach Gary Kubiak
                    Wow, that's pretty interesting. How long has he been back w/ the Broncos?!

Comment

Well maybe what that football team needs is someone who can make the right decision.

1999- 1st overall Couch-Bad pick, long gone.

2000-1st overall Brown- Bad pick, long gone.

2001-3rd overall Warren-played pretty good for Browns but not worth pick #3,long gone.

2002-Willie Green-Please someone shoot me.

2003-Faine-Starting center- good player, 2nd round talent picked up in the 1st

2004-Winslow Jr.- Starter great talent....But also a #%$&^* soldier!!!(what a loser)

2005-Braylon Edwards- 3rd overall-decent nothing more nothing less (26gm 9tds)

2006- Wimbley- a stud linebacker and a very solid pick.

In all I see 5 players taken in the top ten picks and three others who were picked no later than 21st. But what I dont see is a team loaded with talent from all of these top picks. Maybe a change is due...this guy sure as hell cant get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by red 19
                        Well maybe what that football team needs is someone who can make the right decision.

1999- 1st overall Couch-Bad pick, long gone.

2000-1st overall Brown- Bad pick, long gone.

2001-3rd overall Warren-played pretty good for Browns but not worth pick #3,long gone.

2002-Willie Green-Please someone shoot me.

2003-Faine-Starting center- good player, 2nd round talent picked up in the 1st

2004-Winslow Jr.- Starter great talent....But also a #%$&^* soldier!!!(what a loser)

2005-Braylon Edwards- 3rd overall-decent nothing more nothing less (26gm 9tds)

2006- Wimbley- a stud linebacker and a very solid pick.

In all I see 5 players taken in the top ten picks and three others who were picked no later than 21st. But what I dont see is a team loaded with talent from all of these top picks. Maybe a change is due...this guy sure as hell cant get it done.
                        What guy sure can't get it done? Crennel? The head coach?

In case you were wondering this is how it really is (along with who selected them):

1999- 1st overall Couch - Good Pick, Driven out of NFL due to injury (Palmer)

2000-1st overall Brown - Good Pick, When healthy a force on the field (Palmer)

2001-3rd overall Warren - Good Pick, Too much of a prick (Davis)

2002-Willie Green - Good Pick, Couldn't stay healthy (Davis)

2003-Faine - Good Pick, Bad Player (Davis)

2004-Winslow Jr. - Great Pick, GREAT Player (Davis)

2005-Braylon Edwards - Bad Pick, Bad Player, Cancer on Team (Savage)

2006- Wimbley - Great Pick, GREAT Player (Savage)
                        Last edited by Charlie Brown; 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Whats the hate with Braylon

Comment

Originally posted by robertmcleod123
                            Whats the hate with Braylon
                            He's a cancer.

#1 - Skips training camp so he can go to a college game.
                            #2 - Badmouths coaches in the media (multiple coaches, not just Carthon like Winslow)
                            #3 - Gets into a brawl with the team's starting QB on the sideline
                            #4 - Badmouths fellow teamates (Russell, Winslow & Frye)

I feel the hate is completely warranted. He's a cancer to the team.

Comment

What guy sure can't get it done? Crennel? The head coach?

In case you were wondering this is how it really is (along with who selected them):

1999- 1st overall Couch - Good Pick, Driven out of NFL due to injury (Palmer)

2000-1st overall Brown - Good Pick, When healthy a force on the field (Palmer)

2001-3rd overall Warren - Good Pick, Too much of a prick (Davis)

2002-Willie Green - Good Pick, Couldn't stay healthy (Davis)

2003-Faine - Good Pick, Bad Player (Davis)

2004-Winslow Jr. - Great Pick, GREAT Player (Davis)

2006- Wimbley - Great Pick, GREAT Player (Savage)
                              Who cares who picked them the point is its been a terrible pick far too often.

And I dont buy the injury BS, in this league every team deals with injuries every week. Plus Couch and Brown both passed physicals and signed with other teams.

Couch was picked over McNabb and Culpepper(could have traded down and targeted one of these qbs and picked up players/picks)

Brown was taken #1 overall (the pick could have been traded and they could have targeted Chris Samuels, John Abraham, Corey Simon, Julian Petersen, Shaun Alexander, Brian Urlacher, Chris Hovan and picked up players/picks.)

Warren left as soon as possible, Braylon Edwards has been more of a distraction than playmaker- these four players were all top three picks and should be cornerstone players for the franchise for years to come. Instead three of the four are no longer on the team.

Green has played in over 45 games and only scored 9 TDs
                              Faine left to play for the Saints.
                              Winslow has played in 18 games in three years and scored 3, (yep 3) TDs and has not even eclipsed the thousand yard mark.........FOR A CAREER!!!!!
                              Wimbley is awesome and a solid playmaker.

But you have rated these picks either good or great 7 out of 8 years

Comment

Working...
                              X