Overtime rules + New 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime rules + New 2022

After last week's San Diego victory over Tennessee in Sudden Death I think the NFL needs to seriously evaluate the Sudden Death Overtime. Basically over 60% of the time the team winning the toss wins the game. Denver is
    0-3 in coin tosses at overtime and their record would be O-3 if not for a Janikowski miss. In the case of the San Diego game, the Titans defense got a stop but because the Chargers had picked up a couple of first downs they were able to pin the Titans inside the 3,and the Titans could not run their offense so close to the goal line,especially since a safety would have ended the game and had a 3 and out.

If you look at the college football season,with the 69-67 Boise State-Nevada 4 overtime thriller or the 2 overtime losses that LSU has ,it makes for an exciting football game. There is nothing worse then seeing 2 teams battle it out to a stalemate for 60 minutes and then the field being shortened to about 30-40 yards against a tired defense as the team that won the toss setting up for a Field Goal. Could you imagine if a baseball game was decided by Sudden Death? no because each team is given an equal shot,with the home team having the advantage.

My suggestion is that if you dont want to give each team the ball on the 25, give them the ball on the 40 or the 50 to start overtime. It is true that the winner of the toss still has the advantage because they can go on defense but its not as bad as the sudden death rule.

The NFL has evolved since the 70's( remember how the goal posts used to be on the goal line, and the 2 point conversion) and they need to adopt the college tie breaker
    A Mile High Salute to the greatest Broncos fan of them all.Tim"Barrelman"McKernan,you have given us so many wonderful memories seeing you in the stands of all the Denver Broncos games over the years supporting the team that we all love

LETS WIN ONE SUNDAY FOR THE BARRELMAN! You will be missed

if there's one thing i like about the cfl, it's the overtime setup

both teams get two chances from the 30 or 40 or something and have a few down to punch it in. overall it's just alot more fair than the nfl, where, and let's be honest, the coin toss winner is given the game to lose. if the only way someone likes the nfl overtime setup is if their team wins, it's not a good setup.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

60% aren't bad odds anyways.....

AND every team has the same amount of chance on the coinflip to get the ball (50-50 obviously).....

the titans lost that game when they gave up 14 points in the last quarter.....

denver lost their game against the bears because of poor special teams (by my adopt a bronco) and giving up a 14 point lead.....and the broncos lost to the packers because they had horrible time clock management and were unable to punch it in from the 2.....

seriously.....
      "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
      -The best in the business-

Comment

seriously.....we didn't lose because of all that. because the whistle didn't blow after those plays to end the game. we lost because the overtime set is a crock.

i don't want a coin flip deciding our games. 60% can be looked at as glass half empty or full but that takes into account everyone, even the crap teams, and such a small amount of games go into overtime that you can't realistically base anything on that number, especially since if even one or two teams turn the ball over in OT it skews the numbers, since again it's so small.

i'm so tired of fans who lay all the blame on the team when they don't deserve it. i don't know for the life of me why people do that. they'll ignore obviously poor officiating and an OT scheme no one likes and just say "we lost it for ourselves" when if those two thing swere remedied, we wouldn't have lost, and i'm sure no one would mind then. there's nothing wrong with the way college and the cfl do it.
        Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
        Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

While I don't think it excuses the Broncos losses in OT this season, I hate the overtime rules as well. It's particularly ridiculous in games where both teams have scored a lot. When a game ends 38-38 or something, what chances do you think that the team that gets the ball first won't score? Slim to none.
          Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

True, true. But if we were 3-0 this year in OT this thread wouldn't exist. Yes, the rule needs to be changed though. The college is a little much. Games go on for too long and with the NFL and TV and big big $ at stake, that ain't happening.

What they should do is give each team the ball like college BUT after the TD, even the first possesion you must go for two.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
              True, true. But if we were 3-0 this year in OT this thread wouldn't exist. Yes, the rule needs to be changed though. The college is a little much. Games go on for too long and with the NFL and TV and big big $ at stake, that ain't happening.

What they should do is give each team the ball like college BUT after the TD, even the first possesion you must go for two.
              I thought that was the rule in college.
              Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

I like the NFL OT rules, gets the game over quick, cant be draggin on for another hour.

Besdies that, you gotta play defense in this league. If you cant stop the other team one one drive and get the ball back to your offense, you're gonna lose. i see nothing wrong with the rules, even though they been going against us.
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I think there should be two possessions, one for each team, yes kick offs and everything, after those two possessions if it is still tied it then goes to sudden death.

Comment

Theres three reasons it is the way it is:

#1 They want the game to END! Networks don't want the same game going on for an extra 40 minutes.

#2 INJURIES! If you have 6 overtimes in a game that pretty much guarantees extra injuries, everybody is already tired so injuries are even more likely. It's 1 game, and a career ending injury in 6th overtime would be awful.

#3 Tradition and the awesomeness of sudden death.

Comment

GOD grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference.
                      Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                        I like the NFL OT rules, gets the game over quick, cant be draggin on for another hour.

Besdies that, you gotta play defense in this league. If you cant stop the other team one one drive and get the ball back to your offense, you're gonna lose. i see nothing wrong with the rules, even though they been going against us.

I agree with you lava, I see no problem with the NFL overtime.
                        College OT's can go on forever. I can't hate the NFL version of it now cause denver loss two games in OT and SD won in OT.
                        Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

I agree with you but the TEN-SD game is a bad example. Both teams possessed the ball in that overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post

I have always hated the OT rules, the winner usually just comes down to luck since its pretty rare that the loser of the coin toss actually gets the ball in overtime. Also the defense shouldnt have that much pressure put on them. With all the rule changes its getting easier and easier to gain yardage on offense.

Comment

I agree that the current NFL overtime rules need updating, but I don't like the way the NCAA does it either. I'd like to see something along the lines of the NBA where you give them less clock time (five minutes versus twelve) and let them play it out. I can hear the argument already that this system could cause season ending injuries. Injuries are going to happen regardless and just comes with the territory. I also don't like the fact that if overtime ends in a tie, that's the end of the game and in the playoff process of elimination a tie counts as a loss. At the moment I don't have a solution for that. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X