No announcement yet.

Overtime rules + New 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each team having a possession in OT of a playoff game seems better than having it decided by heads/tails.

With seventeen games, there should be no OT during regular season.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-29-2022, 03:34 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I like the get a TD and win for OT. The defense needs to make some plays. Let's not forget about the defense in this offensive dominated era.

Entertainment wise I like the college system.
      Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Each team having a possession in OT of a playoff game seems better than having it decided by heads/tails.

With seventeen games, there should be no OT during regular season.
        From a players safety area I see your point. I personally hate ties.

Comment

I wish it was the same for the regular season as the playoffs.

Comment

I am traditionalist in what I like in overtime. I liked when it was sudden death right away. beat them or stop them. That isn't the currently way or the future way, I know that, I just prefer it that way.

Get too far away from sudden death and might as well just make it a fifth quarter. Now that sounds funny can only have four quarters of something. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this progresses as time goes on.

Go Broncos and win any overtime instances no matter how they are done....

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

From a players safety area I see your point. I personally hate ties.
              IMO ties are fun (and I don't mean the Disney/Looney Tunes ones worn on fun Fridays ) Didn't the Steelers make the playoffs last year because of a tie? I think they beat out Miami and Indy by virtue of their tie with the Lions. Ties are 1/2 win and 1/2 loss, and can be handy. As long as OT is in regular season, the scenario of a team playing OT on consecutive Sundays followed by a Thursday Night game exists. MNF, TNF and bye weeks can help determine the success/failure of a team's season. That can be aggravated by regular season OT.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

New overtime rules approved for 2022 NFL postseason (msn.com)

This new rule is long overdue, and almost seems low key given how many folks expected it to finally happen. Lets just say I hated the old rule. You play hard all season to make the playoffs and then a coin toss has a huge impact on who wins. Sort of like smoke and mirrors instead of simple, fair and sensible.

I was never sure how the NFL expected their playoff rule, especially in the Super Bowl, to make sense. Some will try to say it's the same for both teams, but it's not. A coin flip may not have decided the game, but it was instrumental.

Overtime during the regular season might be ok. They want the rule to stay as is, so that games do not go too long, which supports the need to minimize injury, while ensuring games end at a reasonable time. It may impact flights if games go too long. But here's my thought....why not just make it a tie? I know that many like a winner, and sudden death adds excitement. But I still don't like a coin flip after 60 minutes of hard fought football. And if a game is close, some will be fine with a tie, but some may get more aggressive offensively, to get the win. The last minutes of games could be very fun to watch....and they would not be the result of a coin.

Anyway....they got OT to a much better place. More "fair" for both sides. That's a good thing.

(NOTE: I just noticed the overtime thread in Broncos Football. I did not know there was one, given this is an NFL thread for my purposes.)
                Last edited by CanDB; 03-30-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X