• Show
Clear All

How the NFL teams chose their names

Franchise nicknames
    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post
      thanks for that. You know what I found disappointing in the few that I read, was that they didn't mention the reason the "Chiefs" name was the winner in the fan contest, was because the baseball team was already named the "Royals." They, of course, had the same owner... and Royal and Chief matched.... hence, when Kansas City got a Basketball team, they named them the "Kings"... and the first professional hockey team was named the "Scouts" (although scouts doesn't really match the theme).

Comment

Bryant Gumble is the stupidest person in the NFL, wait, it was names???, well he is still stupid. lol
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Hamburgler View Post
          Bryant Gumble is the stupidest person in the NFL, wait, it was names???, well he is still stupid. lol

"Steve Smith has 9 carries, tonight, for 137 yards"---Bryant Dumble......

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            thanks for that. You know what I found disappointing in the few that I read, was that they didn't mention the reason the "Chiefs" name was the winner in the fan contest, was because the baseball team was already named the "Royals." They, of course, had the same owner... and Royal and Chief matched.... hence, when Kansas City got a Basketball team, they named them the "Kings"... and the first professional hockey team was named the "Scouts" (although scouts doesn't really match the theme).
            The Royals and the Chiefs did not have the same owners.The Chiefs have always been owned by Lamar Hunt and was the Dallas Texans before he moved them to Kansas City.
            The A's were originally in Kansas City and was owned by Charlie O'Finley .When he left and took the A's to Oakland,Ewing Kaufmann started the Royals.Its a pretty interesting story how he started the team.
            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post

Very interesting info. Thanks KCLady!!

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                "Steve Smith has 9 carries, tonight, for 137 yards"---Bryant Dumble......

I caught that too, and did a double take as I was only half paying attention to the game. For a second I was like, "I don't remember Smith running the ball tonight." Then they posted the stats on the screen and I realized it was Bryant Gumble being an idoit. There's a reason he's not doing the today show anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                  Can't believe no one's mentioned the Titans (except for one positive comment). Read up on the mythology of the Titans and tell me it's not embarrassing.

Redskins is also pretty bad.
                  I'm not sure what is embarassing about the Titans mythos, they were the original greek gods, overthrown by the Olympians who were led and ruled by a Titan.

If you are refferring to the overthrowing/castration/incest, you'll find those themes pretty common throughout stories of most pantheons, I believe.

I, for one, ave to agree that the Titans are a pretty cool name

And although Redskins is today considered to be a deroggotory name, I'm not sure how it's a "dumb" moniker as it was given in respect to their bravery and courage (misguided as it may have been).

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                    If there were any other NFL teams named after those mythological pantheons, I'd probably be snickering at them for the same reasons.

I don't think it's dumb that they adopted it in the first place, but I do think it's dumb that they've kept it now that they know better.
                    I agree THAT is dumb!!

Comment

Working...
                    X