Help me understand something:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand something:

In the Miami game, why weren't they given that touchdown?

I thought that you weren't out of bounds until your body or the ball touches ground OB... and the ball had definitely crossed the plane, right?

What part of this rule am I not understanding?

I didn't have a great view, and couldn't hear the commentators, but I THOUGHT it was a TD?

sigpic

I didn't think it was a TD but that was me. Its a tough call. IMO he went out of bounds around the pileon not inside it.

But I do think that if the original call was a TD then they would have kept it at that.

So since it was originally ruled out of bounds they left it at that.
    It was a tough call for me at least.

And yea the rule is if the ball breaks the plane before he steps out of bounds then its a TD.

Speaking of that game. The Pats are playing horribly in the 2nd half.

Comment

Ok, so...

If the player never steps OB, but is holding the ball outside of the pylon and it crosses the plane, that's still a TD too, right? That would be the opposite extension of the rule...

I thought the plane of the endzone extended indefinitely...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redbirdy80 View Post
        Ok, so...

If the player never steps OB, but is holding the ball outside of the pylon and it crosses the plane, that's still a TD too, right? That would be the opposite extension of the rule...

I thought the plane of the endzone extended indefinitely...
        I dont think so.

From Pileon to pileon is all inbounds I think.
        So outside of the pileons is out of bounds.

If the ball is outside the pileon and you cross the endzone without stepping out of bounds then it would be a TD.

I dont think he really got accross though.

I was laying down on the couch though so I didn't pay full attention

Comment

Rule Change

Don't hold me to this...
          But I think I heard about this in the pre-season... this is a new rule this year.

In past years, the goal line did extend forever... you just had to cross the line... but now the ball has to actually enter end-zone space.

If someone has better info, please share.
          sigpicWe da Champs... you da Chumps.
          Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII and 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Champs Chumps View Post
            Don't hold me to this...
            But I think I heard about this in the pre-season... this is a new rule this year.

In past years, the goal line did extend forever... you just had to cross the line... but now the ball has to actually enter end-zone space.

If someone has better info, please share.
            That's interesting... I MAY have heard something about that now that I think about it.

I think this new ruling is MUCH harder to be consistant about. What if a reciever plants his toes and leans out of the endzone to make a wonderful catch? That used to be the Holy Grail of great plays. Now it could be overturned?

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
              That's interesting... I MAY have heard something about that now that I think about it.

I think this new ruling is MUCH harder to be consistant about. What if a reciever plants his toes and leans out of the endzone to make a wonderful catch? That used to be the Holy Grail of great plays. Now it could be overturned?
              No, its just that the plain does not extened forever. In Lemons situation if the ball would have gone inside the pileon it would be a TD, they said he was out first and obciously the ball did not cross inside the pileon.

It really only affects plays of that nature, a player can not dive out of bounds and get a TD because the ball crossed the never ending plain.

NFL Rulebook:
              Sidelines and end lines are out of bounds. The goal line is actually in the end zone. A player with the ball in his possession scores a touchdown when the ball is on, above, or over the goal line.
              Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
              GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
              #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
              #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
              #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
              #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
              Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

Thank you!
                sigpic

Comment

i watch the game it showed his outside arm was out of bounds b4 he switched over to his inside arm......if he had the ball in his left arm it would of been a touchdown but he didnt..
                  I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

The Pilon is considered part of the endzone also. So if you hit the Pilon with the ball that is considered a touchdown also.

Comment

Working...
                    X