X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt Wins Consecutive Rushing Title

Despite struggles, he reaches finish with 1,474 yards
    December 31, 2007

The Oakland defense made Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson work for each of his 56 rushing yards, which seemed a fitting finish to a regular season in which Tomlinson had to work for his second straight rushing title.
    OAKLAND – Almost everywhere LaDainian Tomlinson went yesterday, there were Raiders. The holes he had exploited the past five weeks were not there.
    His struggles were reminiscent of earlier in the season.

But his 56 yards on 16 carries were enough to win him his second straight rushing title. Tomlinson finished with 1,474 rushing yards, well ahead of Minnesota rookie Adrian Peterson, who gained only 36 yards against Denver and finished second with 1,341.

“This one has been more difficult than last year, obviously,” said Tomlinson, who a year ago was the league's MVP. “Things went our way last year, not only for me, but it just seemed like we breezed through the whole season. This year we had a lot of adversity, and it was more difficult. So I think for me it's a little more special because we had to really work for it.

“There were times where it seemed like it just wasn't going to happen, and then you find yourself in position at the end of the year. It feels great.”

Also yesterday, Tomlinson became the first player since Barry Sanders in 1994 to finish a season with more than 300 touches and no fumbles.

“That's something I take a lot of pride in,” said Tomlinson, who finished with 375 touches, same as Sanders did in '94. “Now that it's over, I'm happy I did that. I'm really proud of that.”

BACK-TO-BACK
    LaDainian Tomlinson is the sixth player since the AFL-NFL merger (1970) to lead the league in rushing in consecutive seasons. The others:

Barry Sanders 1996-97

Emmitt Smith 1991-93

Eric ****erson 1983-84

Earl Campbell 1978-80

O.J. Simpson 1972-73; '75-76

A list of the most consecutive rushing titles in NFL history (not counting the All-America Football Conference):

5 Jim Brown, Clev. 1957-61

3 Jim Brown, Clev. 1963-65

3 Steve Van Buren, Phi. 1947-49

3 Earl Campbell, Hou. 1978-80

3 Emmitt Smith, Dal. 1991-93

Tomlinson's 1,474 yards are the third-fewest to lead the league in a nonstrike year since the league went to a 16-game season in 1978. But it is impressive nonetheless, in that he ranked 33rd after three games and 16th after five games.

He had said in recent weeks it was as important for him to get the title for his offensive line, considering how far they had come since October.

“I think it was mutual because they had talked about it and obviously with us talking about it I think we all came to a point where we said this is something we both want,” said Tomlinson, the first player to lead the NFL in rushing in consecutive seasons since Edgerrin James did so in 1999 and 2000. “I could tell by the way we've played, running the football these last four or five games how bad these guys wanted it, and I'm just happy we got it done.”

Eh.... Stats aren't really glorious to me.

I'll give my real congrats if he wins a Super Bowl.

But congrats, especially after a terrible start.
    Last edited by Peerless; 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

I'll give my congrats if he wins a Super Bowl.
      yet it's ok for cutler and champ and marshall......because they're broncos

they just have to put up stats without winning anything of significance
      sigpic

Comment

Man, that's really a down year for the top running backs. 1474 yards wins the rushing title? Sad.

Anyway, congrats to LT. He's still a top back even in a "down" year.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
          yet it's ok for cutler and champ and marshall......because they're broncos

they just have to put up stats without winning anything of significance
          Now JC... where did I say that Cutler and Marshall stats were significant?

Comment

Congrats to L.T for taking the title again this year....ove him or Hate him no one can take away from his talent.
            sigpic

My adopted Bronco Is Matt Prater

Comment

Congrats to LaDanian!!!!

He is a CLASS ACT and a GREAT back!!!!

Still the #1 RB in the league, but Adrian is going to take that title VERY soon....

I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

I'll give my real congrats if he wins a Super Bowl.

But congrats, especially after a terrible start.
                LT is the best RB in the league right now. If it were based on his performance, he'd already have several Super Bowl wins.

QBs are the only ones that can be somewhat judged by Super Bowl wins and even they have a lot more that has to be taken into consideration.
                2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

Working...
                X