If Chargers lose in 1st round???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Chargers lose in 1st round???

Do you think that they will fire the head Coach?
    I couldn't believe that they Sent Marty packing last year but they said it was his inabitilty to win in the post season that caused him to be gone.

Regardless of the incredible regular season record they had last year he was fired for losing in the first round.

Now if the Chargers lose this year in the first round is that it for Norv Turner?

I know that Marty had been there more then one season but looking at this years team and last years team it seems that last years team was better in all phases and they got rid of Shottenhiemer anyway. after going 14 and 2 you fire the coach what if the new coack has a worse regular season record and still loses in the first round??

Marty was fired because of his bad relationship / power struggle with the GM (A.J. Smith). The playoff loss was just an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by mid_evil_thymz View Post
      I couldn't believe that they Sent Marty packing last year but they said it was his inabitilty to win in the post season that caused him to be gone.

Regardless of the incredible regular season record they had last year he was fired for losing in the first round.

Now if the Chargers lose this year in the first round is that it for Norv Turner?

I know that Marty had been there more then one season but looking at this years team and last years team it seems that last years team was better in all phases and they got rid of Shottenhiemer anyway. after going 14 and 2 you fire the coach what if the new coack has a worse regular season record and still loses in the first round??
      for some reason, it was reported that someone high up in the organization had said the owner likes what he's seen enough that he's bringing norv back regardless of what happens the rest of the season (this was reported before week 14) i didn't understand the timing of the report because it was still possible for the chargers to miss the playoffs outright at that time.

i don't see the logic in keeping a HC who can't win a playoff game, especially one he's favored in (marty was favored in both of his failures, and norv is favored in sunday's game vs the titans)

given all the injuries striking the titans right now, the chargers excellent health status, the site of the playoff game and the point spread....if i was dean spanos (sd's owner) i'd definately fire the HC if he loses the game, but if i was dean i would have fired marty back at the end of 05 (dean spanos had blocked aj smith from firing marty for 2 years, before finally firing marty himself but very late, and throwing himself into the norv situation when he should have allowed AJ to hire wade .... but like i said, dean's horrible indecisivness allowed wade to bolt (no pun intended) to dallas.

in short , if norv succeeds in the playoffs , despite dean spanos' horrible timing, it will make him look good and make AJ not look good, because AJ wanted wade (whom he has a history with from buffalo)

if you read all that you deserve a prize
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Warhawk View Post
        Marty was fired because of his bad relationship / power struggle with the GM (A.J. Smith). The playoff loss was just an excuse.
        that is partly true

the two were worlds apart on what it takes to win a championship, and ironically enough neither of them have actually ever won one lol, but the owner pretty much sided with marty and told AJ and Marty to stop whining with each other, and try to just do their jobs (this was back at the end of 05 when dean blocked the firing of marty ...after the brees fiasco)

dean fired marty late into the 06 offseason when marty tried to have his brother interview for the vacated DC position after dean told him not to put his brother on the list of interviewees
        sigpic

Comment

to add:

marty's a genius, he engineered his firing out of a place which to him was a bad work environment , and got to sit home in 07 and make 4.5 mill for doing nothing.

marty's firings always stem from power struggles wherever he's been, but he is a smart smart man.
          sigpic

Comment

I hope not because Bill Cowher will be ready for a job by then.
            Last edited by theshiverman; 01-04-2008, 01:25 AM.
            "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
              I hope not because Bill Cower will be ready for a job by then.
              cowher would never coach the chargers

he's good friends with marty
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                to add:

marty's a genius, he engineered his firing out of a place which to him was a bad work environment , and got to sit home in 07 and make 4.5 mill for doing nothing.

marty's firings always stem from power struggles wherever he's been, but he is a smart smart man.
                He's a winner. He' doesn't do things to 'sit at home' and earn money. Marty has won wherever he has gone. I would be embarrassed to say that you should fire the coach the year before he took you to a 14-2 season. Marty put your team on the map.... period.

As far as Wade Phillips.. Please. Don't give me this "look at what he's doing in Dallas" crap to suggest Wade Phillips is a good coach. He's still using the team Parcells built. Even Barry Switzer was able to win a SB using Johnson's team. This isn't any different. Wait until next year, and Wade will drop back down to the coach he showed both in Denver and in Buffalo.

Right now.. the Falcons are complete IDIOTS for not hiring Marty Schottenheimer on the SPOT. He's by far the best coach available, and is one that has made EVERY team he's gone to, a winner. Norv and Wade Phillips don't even belong on the same sentence with Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  He's a winner. He' doesn't do things to 'sit at home' and earn money. Marty has won wherever he has gone. I would be embarrassed to say that you should fire the coach the year before he took you to a 14-2 season. Marty put your team on the map.... period.

As far as Wade Phillips.. Please. Don't give me this "look at what he's doing in Dallas" crap to suggest Wade Phillips is a good coach. He's still using the team Parcells built. Even Barry Switzer was able to win a SB using Johnson's team. This isn't any different. Wait until next year, and Wade will drop back down to the coach he showed both in Denver and in Buffalo.

Right now.. the Falcons are complete IDIOTS for not hiring Marty Schottenheimer on the SPOT. He's by far the best coach available, and is one that has made EVERY team he's gone to, a winner. Norv and Wade Phillips don't even belong on the same sentence with Marty.
                  marty's a great regular season HC

playoffs...not so much

the funny thing is...if norv wins sunday, he becomes a better HC in san diego than marty ever was

playoff wins are huge, and marty just sucks at that.

and in any universe, 1-0 or even 1-1 ...trump 0-2.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know that Marty has a bad record in the Playoffs but the man does win games. He has had some bad luck in the playoffs. But Norv turner has not been a better coach then Marty in San Diego or anywhere for that matter. I'm just saying that it'll be hard to justify keeping Norv around should he not win a playoff game after Marty gets the team to 14 and 2.

How do you justify to the fans that a coach that led your team to the best regular season ever gets fired for not winning in the playoffs and one who does not win as many games loses in the playoffs but he gets to keep his job??

I was personally shocked that they brought in Norv Turner. I havent seen nothing from the guy that would make me believe he is a good head coach. Look at the washington redskins record under turner.

Marty wins games man thats the point. If Norv stays on after a loss in the first round I think that fans of the Chargers should have an immediate uprising..

Comment

I know that Marty has a bad record in the Playoffs but the man does win games. He has had some bad luck in the playoffs. But Norv turner has not been a better coach then Marty in San Diego or anywhere for that matter. I'm just saying that it'll be hard to justify keeping Norv around should he not win a playoff game after Marty gets the team to 14 and 2.

How do you justify to the fans that a coach that led your team to the best regular season ever gets fired for not winning in the playoffs and one who does not win as many games loses in the playoffs but he gets to keep his job??

I was personally shocked that they brought in Norv Turner. I havent seen nothing from the guy that would make me believe he is a good head coach. Look at the washington redskins record under turner.

Marty wins games man thats the point. If Norv stays on after a loss in the first round I think that fans of the Chargers should have an immediate uprising..
                      as a chargers HC...norv wins games too (11-5)

if he wins a playoff game sunday , he leaps right over marty as far as chargers head coaches go, because of marty's 0-2 playoff record with sd.

if norv loses sunday, yeah he deserves to be fired

we're not the redskins, we're not the raiders, we're the chargers , and norv just had his best regular season ever

his lifetime record can be brought up over and over again

but he's 11-5 as a chargers HC....that's really all that matters right now.
                      sigpic

Comment

as a chargers HC...norv wins games too (11-5)

if he wins a playoff game sunday , he leaps right over marty as far as chargers head coaches go, because of marty's 0-2 playoff record with sd.

if norv loses sunday, yeah he deserves to be fired

we're not the redskins, we're not the raiders, we're the chargers , and norv just had his best regular season ever

his lifetime record can be brought up over and over again

but he's 11-5 as a chargers HC....that's really all that matters right now.
                        I agree that he does have a winning record as a chargers head coach, BUT is he not accomplishing the same thing that Wade Phillips is accomplishing in Dallas with Parcells former team?

I don't know for sure what Changes the team made system wise but the system they are running NOW looks the same as the one they ran under Schottenhiemer. Isn't it fair to say that Norv walked into a really good team when he came there? I think thats more than a fair statement. If he didn't build the current team and the system is the same... then???

This isn't smack talk I don't know for sure what changes were made to the overall schemes that ya'll run, if im wrong please tell me, so I will know. I just don't see many differences. I am not a fan of the chargers so I don't study them like I study the bronco's so I may be totally off base here.
                        I just wonder how the Organization can justify NOT firing Turner if he loses in the first round..

Comment

This isn't smack talk I don't know for sure what changes were made to the overall schemes that ya'll run, if im wrong please tell me, so I will know. I just don't see many differences. I am not a fan of the chargers so I don't study them like I study the bronco's so I may be totally off base here.
                          I just wonder how the Organization can justify NOT firing Turner if he loses in the first round..
                          I know! This isn't smack talk, this belongs in other nfl teams. Hopefully someone moves it before BOLT-MAN comes in here and starts with his "shanny's record after elway blah, blah, blah"

Comment

I agree that he does have a winning record as a chargers head coach, BUT is he not accomplishing the same thing that Wade Phillips is accomplishing in Dallas with Parcells former team?

I don't know for sure what Changes the team made system wise but the system they are running NOW looks the same as the one they ran under Schottenhiemer. Isn't it fair to say that Norv walked into a really good team when he came there? I think thats more than a fair statement. If he didn't build the current team and the system is the same... then???

the thing about that is, marty had a real problem following winning seasons , look it up, it was uncanny how he'd have a winning season, but then underachieve the next season.

it's very odd and it followed marty around for over a decade i believe

for everyone saying marty would have gone 14-2 this season, i can just point to 05 and say ...or 9-7 , it was really uncanny his inconsistency as a HC.

bottom line though is, the GM simply had no faith in his post season abilities, and i don't blame him at all, everyone had that same problem with him and they all (even rival fans) voiced that same thought...the funny thing is, once we fired him, a ton of rival fans changed their tune.... many who once said "well you'll lose in the playoffs because your HC is marty" now said "i can't believe you fired a 200 win HC!"

it was quite hilarious, and oddly enough, thus far, it's worked out.
                            sigpic

Comment

marty's a great regular season HC

playoffs...not so much

the funny thing is...if norv wins sunday, he becomes a better HC in san diego than marty ever was

playoff wins are huge, and marty just sucks at that.

and in any universe, 1-0 or even 1-1 ...trump 0-2.
                              if you guys didnt want him you should have given him to us

Comment

Working...
                              X