Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chargers can't sell out playoff game. Reason? Light rain, of course...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers can't sell out playoff game. Reason? Light rain, of course...

And they wonder why people consider them "fairweather fans." Amazing.

Chargers face local blackout if fair-weather fans no-shows

Here's a small blurb from the story:

The National Football League granted the Chargers a 24-hour extension to reach a Qualcomm Stadium sellout after the team failed to make yesterday's initial deadline. The last NFL playoff blackout was in January 2002.

As the chilly-and-rainy forecast has become more certain, Chargers season-ticket holders and ticket brokers flooded the resale market with tickets for the first-round game against the Tennessee Titans. Some sellers have dropped asking prices more than 50 percent below the face values of $100 to $135.

The sluggish demand reinforces Southern California's reputation for fair-weather fans.

“It points again to what people have said for years about fans in Southern California,” said Darin David of Millsport, a Dallas sports consulting firm that studies sports teams. “It's a fairly fickle fan base.”

signonsandiego.com
    In Manning I trust.

There are 300 tickets left out of 68 thousand. Those are probably single seats or/and obstructed view. Not to mention they were only releasing the tix at certain hours in blocks causing most (including me) to think they were already sold out and buying them through ticket brokers.

It will be a packed house full of bolt fans ladies. Dont take my word for it, just watch and see. cheers.

Comment

wow... thats amazing.

But seriously, thats what has been the problem with SD sports for a long time. The population, in general, just is not a 'sports team' town. They have other things to do. The Chargers over the generations have been a failing team. They honestly do not have a big "die-hard" fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by DRUNK View Post
        There are 300 tickets left out of 68 thousand. Those are probably single seats or/and obstructed view. Not to mention they were only releasing the tix at certain hours in blocks causing most (including me) to think they were already sold out and buying them through ticket brokers.

It will be a packed house full of bolt fans ladies. Dont take my word for it, just watch and see. cheers.
        Huh. Interesting excuses.

See, in Denver, when playoff tickets go on sale, they sell out immediately, whether they're obstructed view, or on sale at 3 am, or whatever the reason.

OH, and the article plainly states that the after-market selling of these tickets is going on at scalper sites. Betcha a few Titans fans are in the stands as well...
        In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          wow... thats amazing.

But seriously, thats what has been the problem with SD sports for a long time. The population, in general, just is not a 'sports team' town. They have other things to do. The Chargers over the generations have been a failing team. They honestly do not have a big "die-hard" fanbase.
          that is true, they will never be mistaken for the great fanbases like GB and kc

hell they haven't even gotten a new stadium yet, that right there tells you the city of san diego for some reason likes the padres more.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post

See, in Denver, when playoff tickets go on sale, they sell out immediately, whether they're obstructed view, or on sale at 3 am, or whatever the reason.

OH, and the article plainly states that the after-market selling of these tickets is going on at scalper sites. Betcha a few Titans fans are in the stands as well...
            Maybe a few.

I know ill be there rain, shine, or snowstorm.

Comment

hell they haven't even gotten a new stadium yet, that right there tells you the city of san diego for some reason likes the padres more.
              I will always have fond memories of Qualcomm stadium. =)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

I know in 2005 when the Broncos had two playoff games, I was online and waiting the second they went on sale, and couldn’t get tickets they sold out so fast.

Of course Blizzards, cold, whatever, won’t stop Bronco fans for going to the games.

But yeah, obstructed views. Great reason to not sell out!

Another reason the Broncos organization and its fans > the chargers organization and its fans :laugh

Comment

Boohoo obstructed views. Denver stadium would have sold out in 5 minutes.

Even if you do sell out, it's pretty sad that an extension was needed.

Comment

well ya there SD....other than a few winning seasons they have always been a losing team.

Comment

I'm being honest when I say this: when I first started watching football (and thus, the Broncos), the one thing I always noticed was that when we played the Chargers in their stadium, or whenever I watched a game with the Chargers at home, it always seemed like half the crowd was there for the visiting team. I think that's changed a bit recently (naturally), but I'm still not surprised something like this happens. You'd think playoff tickets would sell out pretty much instantly, especially if you have a talented team. It's just never seemed like San Diego was a big football (or sports) town.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                      - Carl Sagan

Comment

Reason - Wildfires

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
                        I'm being honest when I say this: when I first started watching football (and thus, the Broncos), the one thing I always noticed was that when we played the Chargers in their stadium, or whenever I watched a game with the Chargers at home, it always seemed like half the crowd was there for the visiting team. I think that's changed a bit recently (naturally), but I'm still not surprised something like this happens. You'd think playoff tickets would sell out pretty much instantly, especially if you have a talented team. It's just never seemed like San Diego was a big football (or sports) town.
                        First time post here!

The thing people don't understand is the wildfires had big financial impact as well. Do you have enough left $$ to afford after the houses were destroyed, giving it to charity, Xmas spending, etc...?

Put your self in their shoes and see if you can go while your house were destroyed and try to put food on the table.

Just saying..

Comment

Originally posted by Crimetime View Post
                          First time post here!

The thing people don't understand is the wildfires had big financial impact as well. Do you have enough left $$ to afford after the houses were destroyed, giving it to charity, Xmas spending, etc...?

Put your self in their shoes and see if you can go while your house were destroyed and try to put food on the table.

Just saying..
                          If this was the first time the chargers have had trouble filling their stadium, I'd see your point. But that's not factual.

Fact is, Charger fans don't show in the lean years, and do not show in the year following a lean year. They just don't.

Compare that with Broncos fans who show up every game, whether it's raining, snowing, blizzarding, etc.
                          In Manning I trust.

Comment

Maybe a few.

I know ill be there rain, shine, or snowstorm.
                            Snow in SoCal?

people would think its raining cocaine. Or it would be so cold they would just leave.
                            sigpic

Comment

If this was the first time the chargers have had trouble filling their stadium, I'd see your point. But that's not factual.

Fact is, Charger fans don't show in the lean years, and do not show in the year following a lean year. They just don't.

Compare that with Broncos fans who show up every game, whether it's raining, snowing, blizzarding, etc.
                              When the Riaders and Bucs played at SD in the Superbowl one of the things that fox, and ESPN mentioned more than once is that based on polls there were more Raider fans in SD than there were Charger fans.

I wonder if that has changed
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X