Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    This story will prove to be bunk. I guarantee it. If Carroll ends up the head coach of the Falcons, I will post video of myself writing "Broncos" on my forehead with a magic marker.

Leave a comment:

• BVP
    replied
    I would hate to see him leave USC. He has it made there. He lives in So Cal, top team in the nation, he is one of the top recruiters in the nation, and He lives in So Cal.

Also, if he does happen to leave for the Falcons, John David Booty would be a starting rookie QB next year.

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
    What the hell? Why the hell would they go back down that road of hiring a college coach, that's stupid. They'll be in for the same mess.

Also, are you a falcons fan or a Broncos fan?
    I'm an Atlanta native who grew up a Broncos fan because my dad is from Denver. I didn't start rooting for the Falcons until I moved to Denver in the early '90's. The Broncos are my #1.

Leave a comment:

• Beast#7
    replied
    What the hell? Why the hell would they go back down that road of hiring a college coach, that's stupid. They'll be in for the same mess.

Also, are you a falcons fan or a Broncos fan?

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    all these coaches turning down atlanta reminds me of the raiders problems of finding a HC before getting kiffin

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Everything they are saying on ESPN radio is that the Falcons are interested in TALKING to Pete Carrol, and Carol may be interested in hearing what they have to say. But I dont' think this necessarily means that Pete is interested in the Atlanta job.

Personally. I bet Pete stays in USC. He would be foolish to leave that deal and go to a mess in Atlanta. The person that Atlanta needs to hire, is Marty Schottenheimer.

Leave a comment:

• Atwnbroncfan
    replied
    I think the falcons would have to be desperate to hire another college coach. They don't want to go throught that fiasco again.

Leave a comment:

• . i n t e l
    replied
    Skip said it best on First and Ten this morning, "He would be walking into a disaster zone." I'm sure that it would be beneficial for Atlanta in the long run considering his past success in the NFL but this is not a winning team at the moment.

DeAngelo Hall is upset, the Michael Vick situation is worse, there appears to be a lot of questions regarding the starting QB... I like Pete Carroll and what he has at USC. I'm just not sure what to do with these Falcons.

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    replied
    Originally posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    IMHO Pete Carroll would be stupid to take this or any other NFL job, regardless of whether he receives total control, because he presently has his ideal job.
    Maybe he's looking for a new challenge. And God knows, the Falcons current situation would be a HUGE challenge for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• MNPatsFan
    replied
    IMHO Pete Carroll would be stupid to take this or any other NFL job, regardless of whether he receives total control, because he presently has his ideal job.

Leave a comment:

• ChampWJ
    started a topic Pete Carroll interested in Falcons opening

Pete Carroll interested in Falcons opening

As a Falcons fan, this would make my year. How many teams have tried to lure him from USC the past few years, and he's told them all he's staying? Now he's possibly interested in full control in Atlanta. I hope Arthur Blank makes this hire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

Sources: USC's Carroll interested in Falcons' opening

ESPN.com news services

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.
Working...
X