X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaguars' Taylor Gets First Pro Bowl Trip

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    By MARK LONG

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Jaguars running back Fred Taylor lost his title as the best player to never make the Pro Bowl.

He was added to the AFC roster Tuesday, replacing Pittsburgh's Willie Parker. Parker broke a bone in his right leg last month and pulled out of the league's all-star game, allowing Taylor to get his first Pro Bowl invitation.

Taylor finished fourth in balloting last month and was made the first alternate. He initially thought he missed out on a trip to Hawaii for the 10th consecutive season. But then Parker injured his leg two days after rosters were announced.

"Whenever it came up, I said I'd cross that bridge whenever I get to it," Taylor said Tuesday. "Now it's here. It doesn't change my approach at all. My team has been excited ever since I guess they understood what happened to Willie that particular week."

Taylor ranks 17th on the NFL's all-time rushing list and had been the only player in the top 49 to never make it to Honolulu.

Taylor said finally making the Pro Bowl was enjoyable, but it won't help the Jaguars defeat unbeaten New England in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs Saturday night.

"I don't think it's going to do anything for us this week playing a team the caliber of the Patriots," he said. "It's good to see that it's there, but it doesn't change any of the routines."

Taylor ran for 1,202 yards this season and averaged a career-best 5.4 yards per carry - better than AFC selections LaDainian Tomlinson, Joseph Addai and Parker - and finished the regular season with five consecutive 100-yard games.

He also had two of the four longest runs in the league this season.

He ran 16 times for 48 yards and a touchdown last week at Pittsburgh before leaving the game in the fourth quarter because of leg cramps.

The Jaguars entered the fourth period with an 18-point lead, then watched it evaporate when the Steelers scored three consecutive touchdowns. Jacksonville pulled out a 31-29 victory after quarterback David Garrard ran for 32 yards on fourth down, setting up Josh Scobee's 25-yard field goal.

"Thankfully we won the game," Taylor said. "I don't think I ever would have forgiven myself for that. But it really didn't hurt us."

Taylor said he didn't know what caused the cramps, but added they became painful after he ran about 60 yards following one of Garrard's interceptions.

"I really locked up after that," Taylor said. "I'll just try to hydrate a little bit more, eat a little bit better. I thought I did everything by the book. It was just something that happened."

So was getting to the Pro Bowl.

Taylor initially considered turning down a Pro Bowl invitation if either Tomlinson, Addai or Parker couldn't make the trip for the Feb. 10 game - he even said "maybe the Pro Bowl doesn't deserve Fred Taylor" - but his wife convinced him otherwise.

So he gladly accepted the offer Tuesday.

"He's very excited about receiving that honor," coach Jack Del Rio said. "We're happy for him. Fred's been one of the all-time greats here in Jacksonville. We're very happy for him individually. But I think Fred would tell you he's most excited right now about the opportunity to pursue a championship."

Making team signature bars, just drop me a PM. :salute:

I heard about this earlier, good for him! However, I still think that it is a bit lame that he is getting in only because of Parker's injury. He deserves to be there anyway.

Comment

This guy has worked his butt off in this league, and is one of the most underrated RB's in the NFL. Good for him!!

2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by CHAMP BAILEY!

Originally posted by RiversOWNSDonks
      Chargers will win a SB, before Broncos make the playoffs. I have no doubt about that!
      O no we havent made the playoffs in 2 years how long has it been since Dolts won the SB...O ya
      This might be up for awhile, Im keeping this up until the Dolts win a SB!

Comment

good for him! he's a cool cat

Comment

i never count a player as a pro bowler unless he got their via vote rather than someone giving up their spot

but it's cool to see him get a trip there

even steve mcnair made the probowl last year because alot of people simply decided not to go
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
            i never count a player as a pro bowler unless he got their via vote rather than someone giving up their spot

even steve mcnair made the probowl last year because alot of people simply decided not to go
            I think though Fred deserved it this year. His stats are good, and hes been a real leader for that team.

However, I dont really count anything into the Pro Bowl and what it means anymore. Its a popularity contest, and has no real bearing on if a player deserved the slot or not.
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post

Same here, I don't think it should count. To me, Fred still hasn't made the Pro Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post
                Same here, I don't think it should count. To me, Fred still hasn't made the Pro Bowl.
                If he doesn't win the popularity contest he doesn't deserve to be there imo

Comment

This is one of the greatest examples of the pro bowl being a joke.

Such a consistent runner Fred has been over the years, and also a pretty darn good role model (except the very beginning of his career), the guy should have already been to one.

I guess when Al Wilson didn't make the pro bowl due to popularity contest, but made it because the AFC coach said "We need Wilson", his didn't count either right?

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

I guess when Al Wilson didn't make the pro bowl due to popularity contest, but made it because the AFC coach said "We need Wilson", his didn't count either right?
                    In my eyes, that doesn't count, no.

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
                      I think though Fred deserved it this year. His stats are good, and hes been a real leader for that team.

However, I dont really count anything into the Pro Bowl and what it means anymore. Its a popularity contest, and has no real bearing on if a player deserved the slot or not.
                      oh yeah, i'm not saying he didn't deserve it

he obviously did

i'm just saying , by process of elimination, lots of guys end up being invited or going because of players getting hurt or pulling out

i think taylor got screwed this year by not being voted in originally.

that's what i consider a pro bowl player, one who was voted there

taylor got screwed from that honor, but it is nice to see him get a trip

i wish they'd take the starters/ one 3rd vote out of the fans hands, cause fans are morons when it comes to voting.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post
                        In my eyes, that doesn't count, no.
                        I wonder if you would've said the same thing at the time Al was named a pro bowl player, yet not voted in.

"Oh yea B4, definitely!"

Comment

Working...
                        X