Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titans fire OC Norm Chow

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow on Tuesday after a season of struggling to score points and reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

Chow

Titans coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the dismissal in a short statement. Chow, who had been on staff for three years, and other Titans officials did not immediately return telephone messages left by The Associated Press.

But Fisher said the day after his Titans (10-6) lost an AFC wild-card game to San Diego 17-6 that improving the offense was his top priority this offseason. They ranked 21st overall in total offense and became the first team with only nine touchdown passes to reach the playoffs in a 16-game season.

After a week of evaluating the team, Fisher told Chow he would not be retained as offensive coordinator.

"I appreciate all of the hard work and contributions he made to the organization during his time here, but I have decided to go in a different direction and will start the process of finding a new offensive coordinator," Fisher said in the statement.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported the firing.

Fisher lured Chow from the same post at USC to the NFL in 2005.

Chow, 61, told The Tennessean he was disappointed and didn't see the firing coming. He said he thought he could help develop Vince Young, who threw nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns this season.

"Obviously, Jeff didn't think that I could. I thought I was. That's the thing. I don't know ... but it's going to take some patience," Chow told the newspaper.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

lets scoop him up! Imagine the knowledge that he could share with cutler

Comment

man i hope the chargers jump all over this

this is philip rivers biggest supporter, his former OC

that would be such a great reunion

this guy loves rivers more than anyone on earth outside of pr's family
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
        man i hope the chargers jump all over this

this is philip rivers biggest supporter, his former OC

that would be such a great reunion

this guy loves rivers more than anyone on earth outside of pr's family
        I just lost Respect for Norm Chow and Philip Rivers Family.......j/k
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

norm was not right in his prediction, but it shows his love of philip -

Let go back for a second. Back before the season started. Back to before the 2004 draft that brought the Chargers their QB of the future. Back when Norm Chow, USC Offensive Coordinator and mentor to guys like Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, made a bold prediction. It was more than a prediction. It was a statement:

"Whoever drafts him will be in the Super Bowl in three years."
          "You knew he was special the minute he got there by his demeanor," Chow said. "There was a veteran (quarterback) there. After the first practice I went into the head coach's office and said, 'Chuck, c'mon now.' He was thinking the same thing."

"The first time we ever put an outfit on the field, against Arkansas State, we couldn't make a first down for nothing," Chow said. "It was pouring rain. Philip kept going. We tie for overtime and win it. Ask Cam Cameron, we got to Indiana with two or three minutes to go."

The Wolfpack started 4-0 under Rivers and finished 8-4, winning the Micron PC Bowl, of which Rivers was MVP.

"That team wasn't very talented that year," Chow said of North Carolina State in 2000. "He willed half those wins."
          http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/categ...-the-super-bo/
          sigpic

Comment

Chow never was a Young supporter. He wanted Leinert.

Chow said that Young acted like a baby and immature.

I bet that is why they got rid of Norm.

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Ok, so we want to pick up Norm Chow, whose offense looked BAD against our DEFENSE?

I will pas, 30 out of 30 times, thank you
              Last edited by str8jacket; 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

wow. Didnt Heimerdinger sign on with Denver about the same time that Chow did with Ten? I remember hearing that perhaps Denver (at that time) was also looking a Chow?
                Perhaps I am wrong? I'll have to looky see if theres anything out there...

I think the reporter hit the nail on the head here: Young threw twice as many INTs as TD's this past season. That right there is a big reason for not scoring points...and they still got 10 wins!
                Figure that one out!

He will get snatched up by someone, of that I have no doubt. The Titans arent the only team that would like to score more points...
                sigpic
                Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                -Sean Payton

Comment

It's not his fault Vince Young can't throw the football.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
                    wow. Didnt Heimerdinger sign on with Denver about the same time that Chow did with Ten? I remember hearing that perhaps Denver (at that time) was also looking a Chow?
                    Perhaps I am wrong? I'll have to looky see if theres anything out there...

I think the reporter hit the nail on the head here: Young threw twice as many INTs as TD's this past season. That right there is a big reason for not scoring points...and they still got 10 wins!
                    Figure that one out!

He will get snatched up by someone, of that I have no doubt. The Titans arent the only team that would like to score more points...
                    Cool stat for you
                    They averaged SIXTEEN points a game through 17 games.

SIXTEEN!

Their Defense allowed 18 points a game.

Average margin of victory=7 points!
                    yet cool stat, 4 WINS with 4 or less points over the other team.

I will PASS. That defense won games for them.

Vincent Fuller (A SAFETY scored twice) once that clinched a win over Atlanta

Comment

Problem with Young is that he has no one that can catch the football. He is not going to be the most efficent QB but with no one to catch footballs it just puts your QB under that much more pressure.
                      Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
                      GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
                      #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
                      #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
                      #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
                      #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
                      Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

Originally posted by SethGrandpa View Post
                        It's not his fault Vince Young can't throw the football.
                        Tennessee had the 13th best completion percentage in the league.

Next?

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                          Tennessee had the 13th best completion percentage in the league.

Next?
                          I'm your Huckleberry.

95 % of Vince Youngs throws were "safe throws" the same 5 yard hitch and 5 yard curl routes you will see at any pop warner game. They are Baby throws.

Compare Vince to Jays stats and see whose is better.

Jay had a higher completion %passer rating, more TDs, less picks and more yardage.

Jay throws big boy passes.

Next....

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                            I'm your Huckleberry.

95 % of Vince Youngs throws were "safe throws" the same 5 yard hitch and 5 yard curl routes you will see at any pop warner game. They are Baby throws.

Compare Vince to Jays stats and see whose is better.

Jay had a higher completion %passer rating, more TDs, less picks and more yardage.

Jay throws big boy passes.

Next....
                            *yawn* Fail

Vince had a 6.7 YPT average, Jays was a whopping .8 yards more.

Who does VY have to throw to?

Now compare that to Jay.

Production is production, oh and by the way

Jays longest "Big Boy Pass" this year was 68 yards.

Youngs was 73.

Next!

Comment

Oh and one more thing I'd like to add.

Denver attempted to throw 40 more times than TEN did.

TEN attempted to run about 120 more times than Denver did.

Tells you alot about the differences in offenses, yes?

Comment

Working...
                              X