Peyton Manning's Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning's Brother

Well.... what can be said about Eli Manning...? Well, maybe that he plays in the NFL. Or that he has a superbowl champion for a brother. Or that he belongs to a team that knocked off the 18-0 Patriots to win the superbowl, and become a champion himself. But you know what? In my mind, this kid still has a lot to prove.

So what if he has a ring? You know who put it there? The Giants' defense and WRs. Sure the guy made a few miracle throws, and got off some quick pitch and catches... but did he lead his team to victory? Eli, in my opinion, is just not that guy. He earned a bit of my respect for how he improved this year, and maybe now he'll have his own name (instead of being known as "Peyton's little brother")... but he needs to play a lot more consistently before I can say he belongs where he is. Congrats Eli... all the same.

If you're having doubts... just remember, Rex Grossman went to the Superbowl.

I agree 100% and its sad really. Eli had a pretty good game today, made some mistakes but I really think he still has a lot to prove. He won by only 3 points, but also made 2 gutsy great drives. Is he just a one year wonder, or the real deal? I suppose we'll find out, but it also makes me wonder what Rex Grossman's situation would be had he won by 3 points last year in a similar situation.

I'm not sure Eli has to win another championship but he definitely needs to consistently make the playoffs and be somewhat successful if the talent around him is there. Congrats to Eli and I wish him the best, except when he's playing the Broncos
    sigpic

Comment

My only criticism of Eli is that he tries to hard to play the game like Peyton. Unfortunatly for Eli though he doesn't have the clock in his head that peyton does. He's called often for delay of game penalties and he's constantly adjusting plays within the last 6 seconds of the play clock. If you watch Peyton, he'll be up at the line early and he'll have pleanty of time to do these things. I think Eli needs to perhaps just play his own game and own style.
      "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
      Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I think just getting there and winning says enough. Keep thinking the way you do and give them manning brothers more reasons to prove you wrong the rest of your lives .
        The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

Eli did pretty good last night. Did he deserve MVP? I don't think so. That title should have been given to his offesive line, they did an absolutely amazing job at protecting him which gave him to ability to do what he did last night.

Comment

First off... Eli WON that Game! the first post credited everyone but Eli and thats plain disrespectful. the G-Mens D was stellar for the most part of the game but Eli played with really great poise.

how many mistakes did you see him make? i saw one interception and that was just as much Steve Smiths fault as it was his. sure Eli couldve given Smith another second but the ball still landed in his hands, yet Smith pops it up in the air and Hobbs does the rest.

the only other real mistake i saw was the over thrown pass to a wide open Burress, and that shouldnt be discussed without the great play Manning did to even have a chance to throw that ball. Eli pulled one of two great maneuvers in the game, by spinning out of the grasp of multiple Pat defenders and scrambling out of the pocket... the over thrown pass couldve been that Eli figured he could hit Burress in stride and give Plaxi-glass a better shot for a big play, however that just wasnt the case as Plaxi-glass was a statue.

also remember, Eli was facing blitz on 3 of every 4 plays it seemed like, and he only got sacked 3 times and 2 of those sacks (at least 2) i believe were in that final drive, the drive that you saw Eli lead his team to the winning touchdown.

all-in-all, Could Eli have done it without the help from his WR and D? NO! but the Giants couldnt have done it without Eli being under center.
            The Orange Crush will rise again!

Comment

before the final Drive, i felt that (if the giants were to have won, of course) Justin Tuck deserved MVP... the dude was an absolute beast! however, the only reason the Giants won, was on that last Drive and Eli was the one to make it happen. the O-line couldnt keep Adalius Thomas from harassing Manning longer than 1 play. other than the 4th and 1 conversion... the Giants running game was non-existant on that drive. and who can forget the amazing maneuver that Eli made to get off that 32 yard bomb to Tyree(who made a spectacular catch to put the final touch on that awesome play.
              The Orange Crush will rise again!

Comment

Eli outplayed Tom Brady last night. He had a great game, and orchestrated a miracle drive in the final two minutes to win the SuperBowl! How can you say he's got a lot left to prove? The only INT he threw was absolutely not his fault, and if you take that away his stat line is pretty impressive, against a tough defense. Also, the Giants' running game wasn't very effective, so it was all on Eli to deliver--and he did. Just rewatch that play with Tyree's awesome catch (here: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8067d05e) and marvel at how Eli made anything happen on that crucial down. Granted, the catch was spectacular, but so was getting the throw off. Or watch the first TD pass; talk about threading the needle. That first TD throw was absolutely perfect.

In my mind, Eli has, with his performance throughout the playoffs, silenced all of his critics. He outdueled Tom Brady and the Pats on the game's biggest stage, and came through HUGE in the game's final minutes to earn victory for his team.

Comment

I still don't think he's that good of a quarterback, but he did his job last night. I didn't think Joe Namath was that good, either, but all it takes is one unforgettable game before you're a legend.

The crazy part is, I don't know if I'm ready to live in a world where Eli Manning is a world champion.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by Botan View Post
                    I agree 100% and its sad really. Eli had a pretty good game today, made some mistakes but I really think he still has a lot to prove. He won by only 3 points, but also made 2 gutsy great drives. Is he just a one year wonder, or the real deal? I suppose we'll find out, but it also makes me wonder what Rex Grossman's situation would be had he won by 3 points last year in a similar situation.

I'm not sure Eli has to win another championship but he definitely needs to consistently make the playoffs and be somewhat successful if the talent around him is there. Congrats to Eli and I wish him the best, except when he's playing the Broncos
                    Only won by 3 points - how many points have the patriots won their last three SB's by

Comment

only won by 3. exactly how many teams beat the patriots by anything this season. No one expected them to win really so just to pull off the win is impressive enough to me. Eli did a great job and my hats off to the giants.

Comment

Peyton who?

Really, I think Eli did a great job. He kept his poise, threw some awesome passes. Now, if he could get rid of the 'other Eli' that plays like a rookie, he'll be in the SB again.
                        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Eli DID do a great job, in the playoffs and especially in the SB. I'm not ready to say he is hall of fame material (neither is Brady IMO), but he played like a winner. With all the pressure of the game, the constant blitzing, time running out, and against one of the best D's in the league: he stayed focused, made some gutsy plays, consistantly moved his team down the field, and came away with two lead-changing TDs . These are the things that great QBs do (and when it counts). If it was Elway making the SB in his 4th year and making those type of plays, I think the tune would be different.

Comment

I think Eli did great. Besides Tuck, not one other player stood out as being "most valuable."
                            Now, the defense as a whole did fantastic, and if the MVP could be given to a group, I think their defense deserves it.

Holding the Patriots to 14 points is...well...un heard of. No one else had done it all year. Their defense was in Brady's grill all day, and the Patriot's offense never got in a rythem (except for the last drive).

The two DB's that covered Moss on the last 4 plays of the game did their job: they broke up the passes to secure their win.

However, without Eli Manning in the last 2+ minutes to lead that team down the field...we'd be moaning the fact the Patriots are 19-0. Only several QB's have consistantly proven they can perform in the clutch.
                            Those QB's have appeared in the playoffs this year: Manning and Manning 2.0, Brady, Favre.

Eli Manning defined himself last night as a leader and as a QB that can manage a game. Yes, he did get a delay of game...but other than that, that offense ran on all cylinders....
                            Compared to a Patriot offense that had more false starts than a Raider game.

And as a homer note...I would trust Cutler in the same situation that Manning was in last night, to bring home the victory, and lead the team down the field when it counted most,
                            sigpic
                            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                            -Sean Payton

Comment

I love how Eli plays with instinct more so then his brother Peyton. He is such a great guy and I am so happy he won.

Comment

Working...
                              X