Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 qbs in nfl?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top 10 qbs in nfl?

    who do you guys think are the top 10 qbs in football?

  • #2
    This is a tough one to answer, and one that will put the replies in the line of fire.

    I used a lot of different things to make my choices as far as where they go. How they did LAST season. How they have done their career, where their career is going, the potential of their career, and if their career is completely unknown.

    I separated them into groups, since so many talents are so close, that they can be interchanged as far as the order of 'that group' goes. So that is why there are spaces, and no numbers after #4, because the first four is where I personally feel firmly on. After that, the shades of grey are just too close.

    1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Brett Favre
    4) Carson Palmer

    Ben Rothelesburger
    Matt Hasselbeck
    David Garrard

    Tony Romo
    Mark Bulger
    Drew Breese

    Eli Manning-- yes, he rose to this spot after winning the SB. But you can't continue to rank him low after this last season.

    Donovon McNabb- hard to keep this high with all his injuries. But when healthy, he is still one of the best.
    Jay Cutler
    Phillip Rivers
    Matt Schaub
    Jake Delhomme- almost took him out of this catagory several times, especially because he's hurt last season, but putting him lower after his past seasons of play just didn't feel right.
    Derek Anderson- had a good year last year.

    Alex Smith-a hard one to gauge.

    Jeff Garcia-actually could be a bit higher as far as his play, but, he is a 'tweener' due to where he is in his career.

    Chad Pennington
    Steve McNair
    Jon Kitna
    JP Losman/Trent Edwards?
    Jason Cambell
    Vince Young
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Joey Harrington
    Matt Leinart


    Rex Grossman-just plain bad

    Croyle-unknown
    Russell-unknown
    Miami?
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      This is a tough one to answer, and one that will put the replies in the line of fire.

      I used a lot of different things to make my choices as far as where they go. How they did LAST season. How they have done their career, where their career is going, the potential of their career, and if their career is completely unknown.

      I separated them into groups, since so many talents are so close, that they can be interchanged as far as the order of 'that group' goes. So that is why there are spaces, and no numbers after #4, because the first four is where I personally feel firmly on. After that, the shades of grey are just too close.

      1) Peyton Manning
      2) Tom Brady
      3) Brett Favre
      4) Carson Palmer

      Ben Rothelesburger
      Matt Hasselbeck
      David Garrard

      Tony Romo
      Mark Bulger
      Drew Breese

      Eli Manning-- yes, he rose to this spot after winning the SB. But you can't continue to rank him low after this last season.

      Donovon McNabb- hard to keep this high with all his injuries. But when healthy, he is still one of the best.
      Jay Cutler
      Phillip Rivers
      Matt Schaub
      Jake Delhomme- almost took him out of this catagory several times, especially because he's hurt last season, but putting him lower after his past seasons of play just didn't feel right.
      Derek Anderson- had a good year last year.

      Alex Smith-a hard one to gauge.

      Jeff Garcia-actually could be a bit higher as far as his play, but, he is a 'tweener' due to where he is in his career.

      Chad Pennington
      Steve McNair
      Jon Kitna
      JP Losman/Trent Edwards?
      Jason Cambell
      Vince Young
      Tarvaris Jackson
      Joey Harrington
      Matt Leinart


      Rex Grossman-just plain bad

      Croyle-unknown
      Russell-unknown
      Miami?
      great post man. I'm just wondering what you think jay cutler needs to work on to reach brady/manning status?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Raffy15 View Post
        great post man. I'm just wondering what you think jay cutler needs to work on to reach brady/manning status?
        His protection and running game?


        Actually, personally I think that (assuming we get a viable 2nd WR) he definately has the potential to reach that status... One of the things that you see more from the great ones is the ability (and time) to go through progressions... and look off the safety with their eyes and pumpfakes. I'd love to see Cutler do a bit more of that.
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Raffy15 View Post
          great post man. I'm just wondering what you think jay cutler needs to work on to reach brady/manning status?
          Trych is pretty right on. But mainly I think he needs time. Honestly, buy the end of his 3rd season, and into his fourth year, we will have one of the ELITE QBs in the league.

          I'm VERY impressed with what I've seen of Cutler. He does need to work on stepping INTO those passes instead of from his back foot.. much like the effort Trent Green put in after his first season in KC. Made a HUGE turnaround for Trent.

          But Jay is smart. He really does check down through his progressions well for such a young QB. I love his accuracy, and how well he throws on the run. I like that he can move, and that he keeps his eyes downfield when he does. I love his toughness, and most importantly..... I LOVE how hard he works to improve himself and learn from his mistakes. This kid get it, and knows what it takes to succeed at this level.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            Trych is pretty right on. But mainly I think he needs time. Honestly, buy the end of his 3rd season, and into his fourth year, we will have one of the ELITE QBs in the league.

            I'm VERY impressed with what I've seen of Cutler. He does need to work on stepping INTO those passes instead of from his back foot.. much like the effort Trent Green put in after his first season in KC. Made a HUGE turnaround for Trent.

            But Jay is smart. He really does check down through his progressions well for such a young QB. I love his accuracy, and how well he throws on the run. I like that he can move, and that he keeps his eyes downfield when he does. I love his toughness, and most importantly..... I LOVE how hard he works to improve himself and learn from his mistakes. This kid get it, and knows what it takes to succeed at this level.
            you know how brady and manning check down to hteir rbs when they have to? when will jay learn to do more of that?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Raffy15 View Post
              you know how brady and manning check down to hteir rbs when they have to? when will jay learn to do more of that?
              he does a LOT of that. I've been very very impressed with how Jay checks down and uses his RBs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Cutler needs to win to reach Manning/Brady status. And I'm not talking regular season games, I'm talking playoff games.

                It's the very reason why Carson Palmer hasn't reached Manning/Brady status. And the defense or the rest of the players on the team is an irrelevant argument.

                That's just the way it is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                  Cutler needs to win to reach Manning/Brady status. And I'm not talking regular season games, I'm talking playoff games.

                  It's the very reason why Carson Palmer hasn't reached Manning/Brady status. And the defense or the rest of the players on the team is an irrelevant argument.

                  That's just the way it is.
                  well.. not to everyone. I can see talent and good play, and not associate it to winning championships. I don't think Fouts was a bad QB because he didn't win a Championship... no Marino, nor Tarkenton.

                  Carson Palmer is still an elite QB in the league... but you are right. They can't get to Manning or Brady level until the playoff wins come.
                  Last edited by Ravage!!!; 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    well.. not to everyone. I can see talent and good play, and not associate it to winning championships. I don't think Fouts was a bad QB because he didn't win a Championship... no Marino, nor Tarkenton.

                    Carson Palmer is still an elite QB in the league... but you are right. They can't get to Manning or Brady level until the playoff wins come.


                    Marino got to a SuperBowl, so he won in the playoffs. Fouts too(I think). Tarkenton, I don't know.

                    Brady has always been known as a great QB because he won right away.

                    Manning was known as a very good QB, who couldn't win in the playoffs. It wasn't until he started winning in the playoffs that he was catapulted up.

                    Cutler has loads of potential, and it doesn't matter how the wins come in the playoffs, but he won't be catpulted into the Manning/Brady argument until those wins do come.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      With the play of last season and seasons past in mind I would rank them...


                      1. Peyton Manning
                      2. Brady
                      3. Big Ben
                      4. Favre
                      5. Garrard
                      6. Palmer
                      7. Cutler
                      8. Eli Manning
                      9. Romo
                      10. Hasselback

                      That's hard to do.. and I'm sure many will disagree. Quarterbacks come with different skill sets and play styles all around. Palmer is a great QB in a bad system, Favre showed us that at least he can still play ball. His experience and all time performance is why I gave him 4th. I would take ours truly over all 8-10. Garrard played a great mistake free year, but he just doesn't strike me as an annual year in and out elite QB. I feel like I'm one of Roethlisbergers only supporters. The guy can make the right throws, he is a huge body and incredibly hard to bring down. Romo is just benefiting from a fantastic system, he seems to be the quarterback on the list without an identity. He doesn't really have that physical presence or overwhelming talent that the other elite do. I don't want anyone to argue that Brady is better than Manning.

                      Peyton Manning is simply the best QB in the business, no single other player in the league can take control and dominate a team like Manning can do. We as Bronco fans have witnessed this time and time again. Tom Brady (or anybody ever again) will ever again super bowl with the worst defensive line in football (like manning did last year), Tommy boy on top of that still managed to lose the big game with arguably the best team in history...


                      I really think at the end of next year Cutler will establish himself as a known top 5 QB around the league. I can see Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Cutler and maybe Romo as next years five.
                      Last edited by Zealander; 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My top 10;

                        1)Brady
                        2)Manning
                        3)Roethlesberger
                        4)Eli Manning
                        5)Brees
                        6)Palmer
                        7)Favre
                        8)Romo
                        9)Hasselbeck
                        10)McNabb

                        IMHO, Eli launched himself not only in the top 10, but the top 5 with his plaoff performance. He's always been a clutch player, and the more and more he cuts down on his dumb mistakes, the more you can see just how good of a QB he is.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          MY top 10

                          1. Eli Manning
                          2. Peyton Manning
                          3. Rex Grossman
                          4. Tom Brady
                          5. Byron Leftwich
                          6. Phillip Rivers
                          7. Carson Palmer
                          8. Vince Young
                          9. Tavaris Jackson
                          10. Kyle Boller

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                            My top 10;

                            1)Brady
                            2)Manning
                            Tom Brady will never in his wildest dreams become as good as Peyton Manning. Brady is benefiting from a dominant cheating franchise. He's a poster boy, he doesn't have the physical mass, skills or talent of Manning. Without a line Brady crumbles as we all have seen time and time again...

                            Peyton manning on the other hand is a big guy, he can take the hits and even break the tackles. He took the worst defensive line in the league and won the super bowl last year, defense wins championships unless you are a quarterback dominant enough to throw the team over your shoulders. Think about this, what happens if Tom Brady and Peyton Manning switch teams?

                            The Colts become mediocre and the Patriots enter a new age of another Dynasty. If Manning was the quarterback of the Patriots last year there's no doubt in my mind they are the best team ever and have another super bowl ring.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                              MY top 10

                              1. Eli Manning
                              2. Peyton Manning
                              3. Rex Grossman
                              4. Tom Brady
                              5. Byron Leftwich
                              6. Phillip Rivers
                              7. Carson Palmer
                              8. Vince Young
                              9. Tavaris Jackson
                              10. Kyle Boller
                              ahh //////////

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X