• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders released bogus contract info for Javon Walker

From PFT

POSTED 3:51 p.m. EST, March 6, 2008

RAIDERS PUT OUT WRONG NUMBERS ON WALKER

On Tuesday, it was reported by Adam Schefter of NFL Network that the Raiders signed receiver Javon Walker to a six-year, $55 million deal with $16 million in guaranteed money.

The news sent shock waves through the league. With Walker's knee problems, most believed that his best chance would be to sign a one-year "prove it" deal with a big option or roster bonus due in early 2009.

On Wednesday, the Raiders began to put out the word that the numbers on Walker weren't accurate. Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times and others (including some Internet hack who'll be taking a much broader look at the Raiders organization for SportingNews.com on Friday) were told that Walker received a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2009.

The Raiders explained that Walker's people were viewing the contract as being worth $16 million guaranteed because of the low likelihood that the team would cut him before the end of the second year of the deal, given the cap hit they'd take via the balance of the signing bonus acceleration.

As it turns out, and as we've confirmed by talking with multiple sources, the Raiders were spreading incorrect information.

The truth is that Walker received an $11 million signing bonus, and he'll get a $5 million roster bonus due in 2009, and the roster bonus is fully guaranteed against injury.

So the guarantee is $16 million, presuming that the Raiders won't decide to cut Walker because: (1) he's healthy; but (2) he's not good.

Also, Walker is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2008, $4 million in 2009, $6 million in 2010, $8 million in 2012, $10 million in 2013, and $10 million in 2014.

As a practical matter, Walker's guarantee is actually $17 million, since it's highly unlikely that the Raiders will cut him before the start of the 2008 football season. And if the guarantee is calculated in the way that the Raiders tried to claim that the agents were trying to calculate the guarantee, the total guarantee is actually $21 million.

Why? Because it's highly unlikely that the Raiders are going to carry $9.17 million in dead money between 2009 and 2010, which is exactly what would happen if he's cut next year.

In fairness to the Raiders, they're now acknowledging privately that bad information was disseminated on Wednesday. Setting aside for now the question of whether that impairs the credibility of anything else they ever say from this point forward, we respect them for admitting that the numbers aren't what they said they were.

Besides, the Raiders need no punishment for their error, intentional or otherwise. The fact that the organization has welcomed a brand-new player by trying to understate his deal with bad information will likely trigger punishment enough once Walker comes to the same conclusion in Oakland that he reached after his time in Green Bay and Denver -- that he wants out.

Also

POSTED 10:34 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008

RAIDERS GET DEFENSIVE ABOUT SPENDING

There's a perception in league circles that the Raiders are overpaying free agents in order to lure players who might not otherwise be inclined to play football for a team with a well-greased revolving door at the head coaching position.

And so the Raiders are putting the word out that the deals signed by some of the team's new free agents aren't as strong as advertised.

As Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times points out, it's virtually unprecedented for an NFL team to correct the record regarding the published details for player contract -- but not for the reason McDonald articulates. Though we agree with McDonald's assessment that the perception of big spending could help the Raiders lure other players, teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they're happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has. If the team publicly undermines the player's contract, the player might acquire a chronic case of stick-in-butt disease early in the relationship.

As to receiver Javon Walker, the Raiders contend that his reported $16 million guarantee is made up of a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2008. Some agents would argue that this money is as a practical matter guaranteed because the Raiders aren't likely to cut Walker after only one season.

But we disagree with that. Avoiding $5 million in base salary and carrying $5 million in dead money next year is, in our view, a wash. If Walker doesn't work out this year, we think the Raiders wouldn't hesitate to cut him.

So the actual guarantee for Walker is $6 million and the practical guarantee is $11 million.

Also, the Raiders contend that the deal given to tackle Kwame Harris, reported as three years and $16 million, is actually a one-year, $3 million deal.

Meanwhile, McDonald suggests that the status of head coach Lane Kiffin is still up in the air. Kiffin quotes appear in none of the team releases regarding the new signings, and there was no expression of thanks for him when the team parted ways with nine-year veteran Barry Sims.
    Last edited by Bronco_Rob; 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM.

Sounds like a lot of BULL SH&T to me coming from the raiders....Why would they bloat the figures like that....HEll I am not to sure kiffin will still be the coach next year.....Al Davis needs to sell the team it is obvious he has lost his friggin mind...
    sigpic

GO BRONCOS IN 2008

Comment

How sad for the Raiders. They can't get their players straight, and now they can't get numbers straight.

Comment

I can't figure this out, I added all the numbers up:

1+4+6+8+10+10 and then the signing bonus, 16 = 55

So I'm exactly sure how the numbers wouldn't be accurate.

Comment

The Raiders embarrassed themselves with the contract so they're trying to spin it in a way that doesn't sound like they overspent on a wide receiver that, by all accounts, has a limited amount of time left to play.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud13 View Post
            I can't figure this out, I added all the numbers up:

1+4+6+8+10+10 and then the signing bonus, 16 = 55

So I'm exactly sure how the numbers wouldn't be accurate.
            I don't even think the Raiders know what they are doing anymore. All those numbers do add up to $55 million and is spread out over six years. So how is it possible that the information was wrong? I don't believe that the initial information was inaccurate but the organization is trying to make it seem that Javon's contract isn't so rich when it is so obvious that it is.

Comment

haha..
              the raiders are just trying to keep people from thinking they're COMPLETE idiots. It's kinda too late for that Al. When you sit at your stadium doing this:brick: you're going to turn out to be idiots.

And Rob remind me to CP you. I'm all out right now.
              No surprise -- LT left his balls on the bench

No wonder Haynesworth is asking for so much money. Being a hitman is expensive.

Comment

I remember Bill Calahan a few years back saying that they were the dumbest team in America or something along those lines.

He wasn't lying

Comment

I'll try and explain this confusing situation bit by bit:

1. Step 1. Raiders sign Javon to a $55 million contract. Like all NFL contracts, the only salary that is "guaranteed" is 2008, because it's highly unlikely they would sign and then release him this year. Next year? That depends.

So, ignore the $55 million because Walker will never see it. Most of it is in later years.

2. Like every NFL contract the important part is the "guaranteed money."

3. Walker got an $11 million signing bonus, which is spread out over 6 years -- this means a cap hit of $1.83 million/year. If they cut him after the 2008 season, the remaining $9.17 million would be accelerated against the cap next year.

So, they're unlikely to do that.

They could however designate Walker as a June 1 cut next year, in which case the cap hit would be divided between 2009 & 2010 (i.e. $4.58 million per year). As you can see, that's a lot to get rid of Javon, but the Broncos paid more than that amount this season to void his contract. So, Javon is certainly NOT guaranteed to be a Raider in 2009.

But, going back to now:

4. Walker's salary is $1 million in 2008, $4 million in 2009,

Forget everything after 2009, but it's scheduled to be $6 million in 2010, $8 million in 2012, $10 million in 2013, and $10 million in 2014. (Now you see where most of the money is -- he'll never see that money, so forget it).

5. In addition, Walker gets a $5 million roster bonus that is due in 2009, and that bonus is guaranteed against injury. If his knee is twisted like a pretzel and he can never play again, he gets his money. (Walker has a great lawyer)!

6. So, to sum up, in 2008 Javon gets $11 million signing bonus, plus $1 million salary = $12 million. He's virtually certain to get all that money.

7. In 2009, Javon gets $4 million salary, plus $5 million roster bonus = $9 million.

The cap hit to the Raiders is much lower: 2008: $1 million salary, plus $1.83 pro-rated portion of signing bonus) = $2.83 total cap hit.

Not too bad. But, it's the future years that are the problem!

8. Now, if Javon is cut in 2009, the Raiders would have to PROVE that it was because he sucked, not because he was injured. If he were injured and they cut him, they're out $5 million. So, they're taking a chance that he'll be healthy enough to play.

That means that Javon's likely to get $21 million, unless the Raiders decide to cut him in 2009, because he just sucks.

If the Raiders decide it's not working out in 2009, they can dump him, in which case of course he doesn't get the $4 million salary, the $5 million roster bonus, or any of the later years salaries.

If the Raiders do cut Javon, the remaining 5 years on his $11 million bonus would be accelerated in 2009 or (if they designated him as a June 1 cut) in 2009 & 2010. So, they take a $4.58 million cap hit each year (total $9.17 million). Or they take the entire $9.17 cap hit in 2009.

Walker would keep his $12 million he'd already gotten from the Raiders and sign with another team. This is unlikely to happen though. Teams can't just throw away $12.8 million in cap hit to rent Walker for one year.

So, in practical terms, the Raiders are paying Walker over $10 million for the each of the next two years, regardless of his injury status!

Now, here's the important bit:
                  The Raiders start to hear from the rest of the league how shocked everybody is at how insane the Raiders were to offer Walker this kind of contract. All the other teams offered Walker a 1 year "prove it" type deal with a roster bonus in 2009 and increasing salary. Now they're pissed, because every other FA wants "Javon type money!" It increases the FA market.

So, the Raiders are embarrassed by the league hostile reaction and they decide to lie to cover it up. They release a bunch of B.S. saying that Walker got a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2009.

That's a lot more reasonable. Only the cover-up gets blown. Now they have to admit they lied. Meanwhile Javon is wondering the hell kind of organization it is he's signed on with!

This is just one seriously messed up organization!

teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they're happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has.
                  Unless the players are incredibly STUPID they aren't taking info on their contracts from the press, but rather from their agent, so I don't know how they would be swayed by a press-clipping. They know how much they are getting because their agent spells it out for them before they sign the contract!

Of course most NFL players aren't much brighter than so many rocks, so I could be wrong!
                  Last edited by Cugel; 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Al Davis retire!!!

Al Davis needs to hire someone to do his job! It's obvious that he doesn't know what the hell he is doing! Instead of spending money on these players (Javon...that will probably be on the sidelines after a couple of games) he needs to save his mula and get some decent players for his offensive line! That's his major problem. Russell won't even get the chance to give Walker the ball because his offensive line can't protect him!!! I want to see it happen once....I want to see him run down the middle and have Lynch perfectly time it for the BIG HIT!!! Traitor!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X