X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drama in Raider Land

Quoted from ESPN.com

Raider evacuation?

In January, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis had asked coach Lane Kiffin to resign. That hasn't happened, but it's obvious something ugly is going on between Kiffin and Davis. Kiffin wasn't wearing Raiders clothing at the Senior Bowl or scouting combine.

Davis has been incredibly aggressive in free agency. But all his moves (except the re-signing of running back Justin Fargas and the addition of receiver Javon Walker) have been on defense. It sure looks like Davis is trying to make defensive coordinator Rob Ryan happy while slighting the offensive-minded Kiffin.

This situation's looking like a standoff and logic says standoffs have to come to an end. Then again, Davis is at the center of this, so logic doesn't count.

Al Davis wanted Kiffin to sign a resignation letter. Which if Kiffin would sign, he'd lose out on all the $ he was promised this next year. Kiffin didn't sign it and apparantley plans on showing up to coach, which according to the contract means he still gets paid. This whole situation is ammusing.
    sigpic

Its like a Shanahan situation all over again.

Kiffin is a young up and comer and Davis doesn't have the patience. He probably wants some over the hill washed up coach like Art Shell again.

I would love if Kiffin eventually ended up a coach of another AFC West team. That way the broncos and that team would have personal vendetta's against Davis and the Raiders. Would be funny. (not going to happen though)

Comment

hahaha i like the pic on your sig
      nice
      lol

anyways....we all know that free agency isnt everything
      one of the most underrated aspects of football, is team chemistry
      a team can do soooo great in free agency and the draft, but if theres a boatload of new starters, than theres not that trust that every player has for each other...sooo i think the raiders will do bad again this year, but better dont get me wrong, and to follow up on your post, i think lane kiffin will be gone

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteyford View Post
        Quoted from ESPN.com

Raider evacuation?

In January, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis had asked coach Lane Kiffin to resign. That hasn't happened, but it's obvious something ugly is going on between Kiffin and Davis. Kiffin wasn't wearing Raiders clothing at the Senior Bowl or scouting combine.

Davis has been incredibly aggressive in free agency. But all his moves (except the re-signing of running back Justin Fargas and the addition of receiver Javon Walker) have been on defense. It sure looks like Davis is trying to make defensive coordinator Rob Ryan happy while slighting the offensive-minded Kiffin.

This situation's looking like a standoff and logic says standoffs have to come to an end. Then again, Davis is at the center of this, so logic doesn't count.

Al Davis wanted Kiffin to sign a resignation letter. Which if Kiffin would sign, he'd lose out on all the $ he was promised this next year. Kiffin didn't sign it and apparantley plans on showing up to coach, which according to the contract means he still gets paid. This whole situation is ammusing.
        Get rid of the best thing that's happened to that franchise in years. He really is an idiot.
        Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Nice sig, and yes I definitely think there's something going on. However, if Al Davis wanted Kiffin gone, he could've just fired him, payed the guarantees or whatever up front, and not have signed all these players to ridiculously long contracts.
          There's something else going on, and I don't think senility is out of the realm of possibility.
          No surprise -- LT left his balls on the bench

No wonder Haynesworth is asking for so much money. Being a hitman is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove View Post
            Get rid of the best thing that's happened to that franchise in years. He really is an idiot.
            Are you talking about Al Davis or Philip Rivers? Cause the word "idiot" is lined up in your post right over ol' Phils head

(I know...Al Davis...but its still funny....)
            sigpic
            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
            -Sean Payton

Comment

There's always something going on in Faderland. Another coach that Al Davis can't get along with or work with - let's all act surprised, right?

At one time, Al Davis was a brilliant leader for his franchise and for the NFL on the whole - being a major player in forcing the merger.

But something happened. I don't know if it's the results of living in the ivory tower or being surrounded by yes men or what, but he's been totally irrational and out of his mind for years now.

I don't know what happened, but something happened, and I don't think I overstate it when I say that Al Davis is the worst thing that has ever happened to any NFL franchise.

Yes, he's probably fighting with Kiffin. That's not really so much a "rumor" though, as an inevitability.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                There's always something going on in Faderland. Another coach that Al Davis can't get along with or work with - let's all act surprised, right?

At one time, Al Davis was a brilliant leader for his franchise and for the NFL on the whole - being a major player in forcing the merger.

But something happened. I don't know if it's the results of living in the ivory tower or being surrounded by yes men or what, but he's been totally irrational and out of his mind for years now.

I don't know what happened, but something happened, and I don't think I overstate it when I say that Al Davis is the worst thing that has ever happened to any NFL franchise.

Yes, he's probably fighting with Kiffin. That's not really so much a "rumor" though, as an inevitability.
                Al Davis was always paranoid and more than 1/2 stone crazy even back in the 60's (read Hunter S. Thompson's accounts of meeting him in The Great Shark Hunt).

But, as he got older he just never changed his ways of doing things to accommodate then new NFL. Now he's just a dinosaur. It's almost like they resurrected Paul Brown and made him GM in the modern NFL. He'd be like a fish out of water and so is Al.

We sure better hope Al never dies. Somebody has to hold the bottom of the AFC West!
                sigpic

Comment

Old news. And the reason that he's spending so much money on the D is because that's where it's needed. They needed to upgrade their receivers, they've done that. They had a really good running game last year and it's only going to be getting better with a healthy Michael Bush and the possibility of them landing McFadden in the draft. They've got a good TE who's only going to improve and the QB situation looks to be solid. Their O-line showed much improvement last year in both pass and run blocking, they really don't need a lot on the offensive side of the ball. Why the surprise for adding more talent on the defensive side?

Comment

1. Defense wins championships.

2. How did the Giants win the SB last year with 17 points against the highest scoring NFL team of all time? See #1.

He'll address the offense, he just had more options of defense financially. While a lot of these moves are worth less than their buck, amazingly the Raiders are still under the cap, before releasing Lamont Jordan. And it's no secret Al Davis is virtually impossible to work with if you have different opinions. He'd be stupid to rid himself of Kiffin simply because of differences. But that isn't the whole story. Al davis tells everyone, players, coaches, waterboy, the guy who cleans the tub, that once you're a Raider, you're ONLY a Raider. Kiffin was seeking out college jobs during the season, listening to offers or inquiring about them. That's a no-no. That's the reason Davis asked him to resign. It wasn't because of differences in philosophy or the 4-12 record his first year. Those are short straws. The last long straw was not bein a loyal Raider 1000%.

Al that said, it's too much fun being a Raiders fan. Never a dull moment and we're always in the spotlight.

Comment

I think it was John Madden who said

Defense wins Championship

Offense sells tickets.

Was it john madden?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
                        I think it was John Madden who said

Defense wins Championship

Offense sells tickets.

Was it john madden?

I thought it was Pat Riley.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                          I thought it was Pat Riley.
                          No clue, I just remember hearing on a NFL night game, either sunday or monday.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X