Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"major announcement" planned for L.A. team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "major announcement" planned for L.A. team

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - Edward P. Roski Jr., a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent several years trying to lure the NFL back to the Los Angeles area, believes his latest concept for a stadium could help finally land a team.

    The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site that Roski has scheduled a news conference at Staples Center to make a "major announcement" concerning the league and L.A.

    On Thursday, Roski will unveil his idea for a stadium in the City of Industry, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways some 20 miles east of Los Angeles, said John Semcken, vice president of Majestic Realty, Roski's real estate company.

    The stadium would be surrounded by a high-end shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns.

    "We've spent the last year designing a football stadium that is ideally suited for the Southern California marketplace that will be a part of a major entertainment, retail and office development," Semcken told The Associated Press.

    "We want to take all of the uncertainty out of this stadium situation."

    If a team committed to moving to Los Angeles, "we could begin construction in the final quarter of this year and have it ready for play for the first exhibition game in 2011," Semcken said.

    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP that the league wasn't involved in Thursday's news conference.

    Los Angeles, the second-largest market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

    Los Angeles lost out to Houston for an expansion franchise since that time, and the league hasn't made relocating to the area a top priority in recent years.

    Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.

    Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. The Lakers, Kings and Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in Thursday's news conference either, according to a spokesman.

  • #2
    Will LA wake up to Roski's NFL dream?

    The link below will take you to a commentary from the LA Times on Roski's efforts.

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...,1484297.story

    Comment


    • #3
      Well there goes half of the chargers fan base.

      If there is a LA team, in 10 years they will move them.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
        Well there goes half of the chargers fan base.

        If there is a LA team, in 10 years they will move them.


        that is so true!!

        Every Charger game I have ever been too there was like half bronco fans there. It shocks me everytime.

        Comment


        • #5
          The NFL in LA

          I don't understand the method of thinking in LA myself. They don't want an NFL team, yet they keep the Clippers. I haven't crunched the numbers, but if the Clippers aren't the losingest professional sports franchise in American history they must be close. We wouldn't want the Clippers up here in Spokane just to say that we had an NBA team. I would be willing to bet that if the Chargers do move to LA the "Charger" name won't go with them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by timp View Post
            I don't understand the method of thinking in LA myself. They don't want an NFL team, yet they keep the Clippers. I haven't crunched the numbers, but if the Clippers aren't the losingest professional sports franchise in American history they must be close. We wouldn't want the Clippers up here in Spokane just to say that we had an NBA team. I would be willing to bet that if the Chargers do move to LA the "Charger" name won't go with them.
            Clippers are there for people who are depressed and don't have much in life, so they can relate with one another.

            Keeps the people in LA calm.

            I was laughing my ass off when last season (or was it prior to that season?) the clippers made it to the playoffs and good old Jack was there.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              it would never work out, any NFL fans in LA are raider fans from what ive seen, i dont remember ever seeing chargers jerseys in LA county except other members of my family

              Comment


              • #8
                This would likely mean the movement of the Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars, or perhaps Bills. The NFL will give Los Angeles a team, it's too big of a market not to tap into.

                Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The NFL has really bigger problems to worry about than trying yet again to locate a NFL team in L.A. They have to make sure that there isn't another players strike and that is the big focus right now.

                  I got quite a kick out of this line out of the commentary from the L.A. Times link. Good luck, Ed, because the L.A. wreckage puts that Titanic mess to shame. -- This line is so true. Also I hope that this fellow's property doesn't sit on a earthquake fault line doesn't run through or near the property. Also I just can't imagine the traffic congestion due to the proximity to two major highways.

                  It should be obvious that in Los Angeles a NFL team doesn't last long. Ed Roski needs to put this pipedream by the wayside and invest his money in something more profitable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The NFL in 2058

                    Originally posted by Hardcore Bronco Babe View Post
                    The NFL has really bigger problems to worry about than trying yet again to locate a NFL team in L.A. They have to make sure that there isn't another players strike and that is the big focus right now.

                    I got quite a kick out of this line out of the commentary from the L.A. Times link. Good luck, Ed, because the L.A. wreckage puts that Titanic mess to shame. -- This line is so true. Also I hope that this fellow's property doesn't sit on a earthquake fault line doesn't run through or near the property. Also I just can't imagine the traffic congestion due to the proximity to two major highways.

                    It should be obvious that in Los Angeles a NFL team doesn't last long. Ed Roski needs to put this pipedream by the wayside and invest his money in something more profitable.
                    Hardcore Bronco Babe: Well stated. What will the NFL look like fifty years from now? Will city specific teams be replaced by state and/or regional specific teams? Will the NFL go international and be successful? Will the NFL go full circle after union/salary cap issues head south? I don't have the answers and I probably won't be around to see it pan out. All I know is that every year contract negotiations; tv contracts; free agency and the draft get more and more complicated. It has turned into a chess match.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      LA is such a makeshift region that everyone there either supports the Raiders/Chargers, or has their own team.

                      If a team is actually going to succeed in LA, it's going to have to start with immediate success, and sustain it over a long period of time.

                      If not, it will quickly lose it's appeal along with it's support and fanbase. It's one of the main reasons why teams haven't been successful in appealing to the area permanently.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Why the NFL?

                        Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                        LA is such a makeshift region that everyone there either supports the Raiders/Chargers, or has their own team.

                        If a team is actually going to succeed in LA, it's going to have to start with immediate success, and sustain it over a long period of time.

                        If not, it will quickly lose it's appeal along with it's support and fanbase. It's one of the main reasons why teams haven't been successful in appealing to the area permanently.
                        So why is the NFL the only league to fall victim to this philosophy? Why are the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings and (cough) Clippers successful in LA? Why does LA embrace every professional sports except the NFL? I'm at a loss. Educate me, please.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I haven't understood the reasoning at all from the get-go.

                          The Rams didn't survive....

                          The Raiders didn't survive...

                          LA already has hella pro teams.

                          California already had too many pro teams...

                          Why do either of them need another?

                          Why LA? Just because there's millions of people doesn't mean they'll buy your tickets...

                          Also, why not just expand, instead of relocate? I hate the idea of relocation. It ruins team histories, it ruins fans-bases, it just messes with the persona of a team entirely.

                          If they want another team...just pick another city and give them their own franchise and mascot and everything...
                          Like in a state that doesn't have many, but has the economy...

                          I've always thought it would be sweet AND successful, given the city, if Las Vegas had a pro football team.

                          It's not a big city but that team would have fans. Not to mention how many people would use the team to bet on....like they already do.

                          Or maybe...

                          Here are some states I'd rather see a team in, or at least another team:

                          Washington: Olympia, those bigger cities.

                          Oregon: Portland is big enough.

                          Nevada: Las Vegas would be sick to have a team in.

                          Arizona: maybe another team?

                          Texas: it's big enough for a few more really.

                          Iowa: ?

                          Michigan: ?

                          Pennsylvania: ?

                          Maryland/D.C. Another team there could be cool...

                          Virginia: why not?

                          Kentucky: ?

                          Georgia: could use another team.

                          Florida: maybe another one would work...

                          South Carolina: create a cool rivalry with the Panthers

                          Tennessee: maybe another one?

                          I don't know....i just hate the idea of California having another team....or LA...

                          especially if a current team moves.
                          sigpic

                          DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by timp View Post
                            So why is the NFL the only league to fall victim to this philosophy? Why are the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings and (cough) Clippers successful in LA? Why does LA embrace every professional sports except the NFL? I'm at a loss. Educate me, please.
                            The Lakers and Dodgers have history and some amazing tradition.

                            I honestly can't say about the Angels, Kings, and Clippers. I believe all 3 of those likely generate low revenue in their sport, and only because they have so many home games throughout a season allows them to float by. I could be wrong.

                            The NFL has become so incredibly popular in the last 15 years that the majority of the market fanbase has their favorite teams they are passionate for. It's hard to embrace new teams. Even Jacksonville has struggled with attendance, and making a healthy profit the last few years and there have been whispers about them having to move in the future if things don't turn around.

                            So many people in LA are from different regions around the US, and already have a favorite NFL team they are passionate for. If a team opened up in LA, it would likely generate a lot of hype right away, but if they don't succeed over an extended period of time, the people will forget, and go back to focusing on the team they have for so many years.

                            You'd be amazed at how many people that live in an NFL city, and even cheer for a team, do not attend those games because they would rather head down to the local bar with direct TV and watch their favorite team.

                            It's a theory that has been talked about in NFL circles the last 10 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                              I haven't understood the reasoning at all from the get-go.

                              The Rams didn't survive....

                              The Raiders didn't survive...

                              LA already has hella pro teams.

                              California already had too many pro teams...

                              Why do either of them need another?

                              Why LA? Just because there's millions of people doesn't mean they'll buy your tickets...

                              Also, why not just expand, instead of relocate? I hate the idea of relocation. It ruins team histories, it ruins fans-bases, it just messes with the persona of a team entirely.

                              If they want another team...just pick another city and give them their own franchise and mascot and everything...
                              Like in a state that doesn't have many, but has the economy...

                              I've always thought it would be sweet AND successful, given the city, if Las Vegas had a pro football team.

                              It's not a big city but that team would have fans. Not to mention how many people would use the team to bet on....like they already do.

                              Or maybe...

                              Here are some states I'd rather see a team in, or at least another team:

                              Washington: Olympia, those bigger cities.

                              Oregon: Portland is big enough.

                              Nevada: Las Vegas would be sick to have a team in.

                              Arizona: maybe another team?

                              Texas: it's big enough for a few more really.

                              Iowa: ?

                              Michigan: ?

                              Pennsylvania: ?

                              Maryland/D.C. Another team there could be cool...

                              Virginia: why not?

                              Kentucky: ?

                              Georgia: could use another team.

                              Florida: maybe another one would work...

                              South Carolina: create a cool rivalry with the Panthers

                              Tennessee: maybe another one?

                              I don't know....i just hate the idea of California having another team....or LA...

                              especially if a current team moves.
                              I still say a team in Canada would go over pretty well.

                              Ever been to Toronto?

                              Quite a few bills fans, there are even some people up there looking to buy them.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X