tavaris jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tavaris jackson

The Vikings got an opportunity to see expensive offseason additions Jared Allen, Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams on the field during the team's recently concluded workouts, but the biggest reason for optimism might have surrounded the performance by quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

Jackson, entering his second season as the Vikings' starter, looked far more poised and in control as the team went through practices during Organized Team Activities and minicamp that were open to the media.
    Jackson's improvement will be crucial if the Vikings are going to have the type of success that many expect after they invested more than $60 million in guarantees on Allen, Berrian and Williams.

Last season, Jackson went 8-4 as a starter but threw three more interceptions than touchdowns (12-9) and his 70.8 passer rating was 28th among the 33 quarterbacks listed in the NFL statistics.

The Vikings, of course, will want to see Jackson continue to show this type of improvement when the hitting actually starts and the pressure grows far more intense but an offseason spent working with the coaching staff appeared to pay some dividends in minicamp.

One example came on the second day when the Vikings ran a blitz drill. A year ago, Jackson struggled in the face of pressure and often made panicked, and incorrect, decisions. Jackson wasn't perfect this time but he was more decisive in his decision-making. At one point during an 11-on-11 drill he evaded the pressure, moved up in the pocket and completed a short pass to running back Chester Taylor.

"It's like night and day," Jackson said. "Compared to this time last year, I feel like a whole different quarterback, really. Running plays, poised, knowing the system, and just being more confident. ... Things are much slower. I'm seeing things a lot better."

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell credited Jackson for his work ethic this spring and said he has made "tremendous progress."

Some of that progress could be seen on the deep patterns on which Jackson found Berrian during practices. The two continue to try to build a chemistry but Berrian's presence clearly gives the Vikings the type of deep threat they so desperately needed last season in order to loosen up defenses that consistently put eight-men in the box in order to stop Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson.

The mere threat of being able to go vertical - something the Vikings really didn't have a year ago - stand to make Peterson and Taylor that much more dangerous.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRep...pe=InsideSlant
    Glen Haven Fire

There's just something about Jackson....Running game don't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
      There's just something about Jackson....Running game don't hurt either.
      something good or bad? I think he has the talent to become a good qb, many others dont
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
        something good or bad? I think he has the talent to become a good qb, many others dont
        I think jackson has the talen also, i hope he can prove himself this year.

Comment

its too often...actually more often than not that a player goes to a system that cant bring about his ability. I was quite critical of the vikings coaching staff last year. At least they've added additions to try to help him......
          they aren't notorious for spending the $ to do that

ala timberwolves
          ala twins (i.e. consecutively one of the lowest payrolls in MLB)
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

The Vikings need a QB.

They haven't had a decent one since the early Culpepper days.

Comment

Good. One of the big things I've noticed, is that he's not afraid to stay in the pocket. The game seems to be slowing down for him too. A lot of quarterbacks who have great talent, rely on it too much and don't seem to progress. Given the running game, he could wind up being a quality qb in MIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                Good. One of the big things I've noticed, is that he's not afraid to stay in the pocket. The game seems to be slowing down for him too. A lot of quarterbacks who have great talent, rely on it too much and don't seem to progress. Given the running game, he could wind up being a quality qb in MIN.
                do you think having childress as the head coach will help or hurt him? or niether?
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

do you think having childress as the head coach will help or hurt him? or niether?
                  Help, they brought in another guy, who's supposed to be a good west coast qb coach also. They also signed Furotte (always spell his name wrong), he's got a lot of experience in the offense, and should do the mentor thing.

Comment

it is interesting because brad has taken huge amounts of criticism since taking over. Ive questioned many of their moves but he's def produced results that many didnt think would come to this team that quickly
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                    X