X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre says "See you at camp!"

Favre to camp
    Saturday, July 26, 2008
    NEW YORK -- Brett Favre has told Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson he plans to return to the team and report to training camp this weekend, the NFL Network reported on Friday.

The 38-year-old would need to submit a letter seeking reinstatement to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell if he is to end his temporary retirement.

The on-off retirement of Favre, the league's all-time leader in touchdown passes (442), passing yards (61,655) and completions (5,377), has dominated the NFL in recent weeks with teams starting training ahead of the new season.

Favre announced his retirement in March at a tearful news conference after leading the Packers to a 13-3 record and the NFC title game. But the quarterback, still contracted to Green Bay, has since made it clear he wants to return to football.

The Packers however have committed to handing the reins of the offense over to Aaron Rodgers, Favre's understudy for the past three seasons.

Green Bay does not want to grant Favre an unconditional release, fearful he could join a rival team such as NFC North counterpart Minnesota Vikings whose offensive coordinator was his quarterback coach for three seasons with the Packers.

"The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team," the Packers said in a statement earlier this month.

"As a retired player Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with commissioner Roger Goodell. "If that were to occur he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team."

For now, Green Bay's plan to retire Favre's jersey at this season's opening game is on hold.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Favre says Goodell has reinstated him, will fly to Green Bay

Oh boy...all hell is finally going to break loose. I've been waiting for this for 3 weeks...time to see who's gonna give. The local media will be going nuts tonite.

Comment

Prepare for 24 hour ESPN coverage of the Favre-Ring circus, coming soon to Green Bay, Wisconsin!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

I live fairly close to Green Bay....this is going to be veeeery interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro View Post
          Prepare for 24 hour ESPN coverage of the Favre-Ring circus, coming soon to Green Bay, Wisconsin!
          :dance: Go Wisconsin!

Comment

Brett Favre is an embarassment to himself and the GB organisation. When he is inducted into the Hall of Fame one day, i hope someone brings his pathetic recent antics up.

Comment

Bronco Lover

I agree that Brett Favre is an embarrassment. I also feel that the city of Green Bay should give him his unconditional release and let him know to move on with his life. His family should be more important to him now more than ever.

Also, when a player decides to retire, they should stay retired.
              D.E

Comment

Don't be surprised if the Packers do something like Tennessee did with McNair... and that is lock him out of the facility. They won't want him in practices, in the locker room, or on the sideline.

This is going to be a media DISASTER for the Packers, no matter what they do. They are in an abosolutely NO WIN situation here. The BEST scenario for them was to have Brett Favre remain retired, and thats why they offered the money to keep him retired.

Now they are really going to look bad, but I think the best thing they can do, is simply keep him out of practices and away from the practice facility. So don't be shocked or surprised if this happens.

Comment

It sounds like they are going to have an open competition for QB now. What a circus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    Don't be surprised if the Packers do something like Tennessee did with McNair... and that is lock him out of the facility. They won't want him in practices, in the locker room, or on the sideline.

This is going to be a media DISASTER for the Packers, no matter what they do. They are in an abosolutely NO WIN situation here. The BEST scenario for them was to have Brett Favre remain retired, and thats why they offered the money to keep him retired.

Now they are really going to look bad, but I think the best thing they can do, is simply keep him out of practices and away from the practice facility. So don't be shocked or surprised if this happens.
                    I agree with you, especially since it sounds like most of the Packer players now are supporting Rodgers and not Favre.
                    sigpic

Comment

another reason why i hate brett
                      I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Brett Favre should be ashamed of himself, and feel like a real jerk for this whole situation. I know he doesn't, but he should. In the regular world you don't get to retire and then a few months later go back and say "oh I was just kidding I do still want to work." He has turned what most people would have remembered as a stellar career into a joke, and will now only be remembered for this incident. On the upside of this, myself and all the others who never liked Favre and always thought he was a jerk have now been rpoven right.
                        sigpic

My adopted Bronco Is Matt Prater

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFan1812 View Post
                          Brett Favre should be ashamed of himself, and feel like a real jerk for this whole situation. I know he doesn't, but he should. In the regular world you don't get to retire and then a few months later go back and say "oh I was just kidding I do still want to work." He has turned what most people would have remembered as a stellar career into a joke, and will now only be remembered for this incident. On the upside of this, myself and all the others who never liked Favre and always thought he was a jerk have now been rpoven right.

yeah cuz noone ever retired and came back to work

i dont know what "regular world" your refering too but it happens all the time.... just so happens your position might be filled as is in this case.

hate on favre all ya want if the guy wants to play let him compete for the starting qb spot or trade him.

ravage ....

espn stated that late last night when aaron rogers left the facilities they still didnt have favre's locker with equiptment... it was empty... so who knows what they are going to do...

imo they are going to, once again, have farve as the starting qb come the regular season...

if they even think of trading favre to the vikings and the vikings make the playoff let alone the superbowl and the pack dont even sniff a playoff spot, heads will roll in green bay.....
                          sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro View Post
                              I can't wait for their first preseason game which will be on the Worldwide Leader next Monday. Wall to wall Brett Favre. Oooo, can't wait for that!

Remember that Falcons-Bengals debacle last year that set sports broadcasting back about 50 years (all Mike Vick, all the time)? Yeah, that will be quality journalism compared to this. I don't want to even fathom how much Brett Favre coverage there will be. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt.
                              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Working...
                              X