Brett Favre traded to the Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainBly View Post
    It does make them a playoff contender, but not a SB contender IMO. That's what you go for in football, winning a Super Bowl, eventually. That's why I think it's a bad move by the Jets. This is just a short term fix, not something to build on. As for Favre, he could have asked to be dealt to Tampa. They'd have a much better shot with him than the Jets do.
    Well lookmat it these ways.

They rebuilt their offensive line. The talk was not about the line but who would produce behind it. A battle in camp between an unknown and an oft injured left for little optimism.

Wideouts: Laveranues Coles is a seasoned veteren who may not be a top receiver, but he can be enough. And Jerricho Cotchery, while only managing two TDs, had over 1000 yards receiving. Add Favre to that. And in the NFL, impact rookies or second year men can come out of nowhere. Favre in midseason form can make a star out of one. Let's see what Greg Jennings does with Aaron Rogers vs. Cotchery with Favre.

And Thomas Jones is no scrub. Solid at best, but not too bad.

And then you see what the Giants did. They got hot at the right time. Why not the Jets? And they also play the Pats well for the most part. Now they have Favre against a defense that's not what it used to be. The pre-Favre Jets were nothing to talk about. But now, they can make a lot of noise.

The biggest question is will we see the 2007 Favre or the 2006 one. Yeah yeah new system whatever. But Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington were not bringing them over the hump, although that other Brett they have looked good tonight.
    Last edited by DevilSpawn; 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
      Well lookmat it these ways.
      And then you see what the Giants did. They got hot at the right time. Why not the Jets?
      One difference there is that the Giants had a much better defensive line last year than the Jets did. Don't get me wrong, you can go from 2-14 to Lombardi in one year, but from a theoretical standpoint, this doesn't look like a good move for the Jets.

Comment

Brett Needs 2 Years

The outcome is a bit confusing indeed, unless Brett has two or more years left in him. Obviously the Jets need to find a young gun pretty soon, because this almost seems like a knee jerk reaction. On the up side, if Brett keeps his skills sharp, he should benefit from having a strong oline, and a team that will definitely win more than 4 games - with or without him. The question is, how many more? And if they fall short this year does he retire yet again? Then what....what was the purpose? On the other hand, if he can play 2 seasons at a reasonable level, this team may be a real contender by year 2. One or two more additions, combined with Brett's leadership and play making ability could spell playoffs and more.

To be honest, I'm feeling for him again (after being a bit ticked), as he definitely has a wholesome country boy approach to life, and he seems a bit lost after so many years being "the man". In that sense I believe he will be re-energized, once acclimatized, and if he can find ways to beat the Pats, then I'm all for it. Again, with the acquisitions & draft picks of the last two years and potential for more moves, this team may surprise.

Comment

bottom line is the jets want to make a big splash with the new stadium coming in 2010. IMO after seeing the giants win the superbowl the owner for the jets said enough is enough its time to start winning again. they say that the new stadium doesnt play into the jets making some moves but i still believe they want to sell seats and get the fans excited once again.

its a good move for the jets short term but one must wonder how this is going to affect Clemens as some posters stated. if favre can give him some pointers and tips, all is good, but favre has already proven he is not about helping others out.
          sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBly View Post
            Yes, getting with his team now to learn the system is important. However, at the risk of sounding pessimistic, I think the Jets have no chance to win the Super Bowl this year, even with Favre. IMO, Favre should have waited a little longer for the TB trade to go through. It was close.
            It may have been close, but considering the bucs were a lot closer to playoff team than the Bucs, and the Packers may not want you him in the NFC... they could have dragged that out for weeks. The Bucs may have never been willing ot give up a second rounder for going to the playoffs like the Jets were. So we don't really know how "close" that was.

Comment

I think that about sums it up.
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic
              Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Working...
              X