Pat Tillman Should be in the HOF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Tillman Should be in the HOF!

The HOF should have a some sort of way to have Pat inducted into the HOF.
    In modern times I can not remember a sports star in the prime of his career walk away from it to serve our country instead of himself. This was a selfless act that unfortunately led to his untimely death.

I understand that by no way is his stats enough to put him in the Hall. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is for people who exemplify what it means to be a pro and what it takes to makes sacrifices.

At one point in his NFL career, Tillman turned down a five-year, $9 million contract offer from the St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to the Cardinals.In May 2002, eight months after the September 11, 2001, attacks and after completing the fifteen remaining games of the 2001 season which followed the attacks (at a salary of $512,000 per year),[2] Tillman turned down a contract offer of $3.6 million over three years from the Cardinals to enlist in the U.S. Army.

I don't have a clue what they should call this Special Inductee but they need to get it done. Pat deserves to be remembered by all of us and the future NFL fans.

What do you guys think?

Don't get me wrong. I respect him and what he did, but no. What he did ON the field is not enough to get him into the Hall of Fame.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

Reporters and other non players get in. They come up with something. They should do that in this case also.

Comment

Here is the link http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,132223

On Pat Tillman and the Hall of Fame

By MJD

Cris Collinsworth broached the idea on Saturday that former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Tillman, of course, gave up the lucrative remainder of his playing career to join the Army Rangers in combat in Afghanistan. He was killed by friendly fire.

Whether or not Tillman is a remarkable human being isn't up for debate. Whether or not he belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, though, is another issue entirely.

As a player, he just doesn't qualify. He was a good safety, but not a great one. He never made a Pro Bowl. On on-field merits alone, there's just not a case to be made for him. If he'd had a 12-year career instead of a four-year career, who knows what he might have accomplished? But that's not what happened.

So is there room in the Hall of Fame for a guy who falls short on on-field accomplishments, but makes up for it by being an outstanding individual?

For this, we'd have to consult the official Pro Football Hall of Fame criteria, and that's either really hard to find or intentionally vague. The website goes into detail about the selection process and who decides what, but they don't reveal exactly what they're supposed to decide on. The closest they come to defining anything is in the opening sentence of the Selection Process page:

Charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced is the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 36-man Board of Selectors.

Obviously, "the finest the game has produced" is extremely vague. Traditionally, the vote has been about what a player has produced on the field, and not what kind of person he was off of it. O.J. Simpson's in the Hall of Fame, and there's been no great movement to get him out.

There are also a lot of really great guys who aren't in the Hall of Fame. There's even a guy, Bob Kalsu, who was named the Buffalo Bills rookie of the year in 1968, entered the Army in 1969, and was killed in Vietnam in 1970 at the age of 25. Kalsu is not in the Hall of Fame.

It boils down to the question of whether or not you think the Hall of Fame is to honor great people, and not just great players. And while the Hall's official criteria appear to leave it open to do just that, I still don't know if I'd support the idea.

If the NFL were to enshrine Pat Tillman in the Hall of Fame, they'd be making the statement that Tillman made a great contribution to the game of football. Personally, when I think about Pat Tillman and what he did, it doesn't occur to me that he made a great contribution to the game of football. He made a great contribution to his country and to his family.

About the Hall of Fame ... I wouldn't object if he were enshrined. I won't object if he isn't. His being or not being in the Hall of Fame won't change the way I think of him. In fact, in that context, whether or not he's a Hall of Famer seems extremely insignificant. I won't trivialize him by arguing about it.

To me, it's not like arguing, for example, that Art Monk deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. For Monk, maybe Hall enshrinement validates his performance as a wide receiver and his place in the pantheon of the game's greats. As an Art Monk fan, I care about whether or not he made it into the Hall of Fame.

But as someone who watched Pat Tillman do what he did, I absolutely do not care if he's enshrined in the Hall of Fame or not. What he did requires no validation. I don't care about his status among the game's greats. What Tillman earned, and what he'll always have, is a spot in most people's hearts as a remarkably selfless man who saw more to life than football.

And that means infinitely more than a pale yellow jacket and a bronze bust in Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by ormester View Post
          Reporters and other non players get in. They come up with something. They should do that in this case also.

He is not a Reporter, He is not an Owner or any thing other then a PLAYER. Based on his PLAYING he does not deserve to be in.

I'm a football fan, and there is a fan wing in the HOF, I quit TWO jobs to join the USMC after 9-11 should I get in?

sigpic

Comment

So should Mike Anderson, a bad ass ex-marine.

Comment

I am not saying he should be enshrined. At least they could have an area at beginning listing what he did along with some memorabilia.

You did not give up a pro football career to join the military and you did not die. I have been in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, but I don't deserve to be in. Have you read the the HOF says for qualifications?

Comment

The Cards retired his number, and have a statue of him outside their building. That is enough.

As far as him giving up his NFL career goes, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about what a scarific that was. It was no more noble then anybody else that has done so in the history of our country. Just because he gave up millions does not make him more special then someone the joins right out of school, or the gave up a job waiting tables.

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with Southstander. If we're going to base criteria for entrance into the PFHOF on off the field actions, behavior, and contributions, then the following players need to be removed from the Hall of Fame for the following actions

Lawrence Taylor - loading up on cocaine in hotel rooms before and after games

Michael Irvin - numerous runs in with the law, and use of cocaine, not to mention various arrests for possession of cocaine and other drugs, and cheating on his wife with 2 hookers in a Dallas hotel.

OJ Simpson - 2 runs in with the law, 1 being for murder and the other being for robbery which he is currently serving an extended prison term for.

John Elway - cheating on his wife and beating her numerous times.

and numerous other players who had questionable off the field activities, law violations, and unethical and immoral behaviors.

Don't get me wrong, I admire Pat Tillman, his sacrifice is an act of honor and courage and bravery. To walk away from millions of dollars, to accept pay of less than $1500 per month, to work in terrible conditions, rain, snow, sleet, hail, freezing cold to extreme heat, to be sleep deprived, and to have to take orders from people willing to place your life in jeopardy for the good of a nation...that takes big balls. I made a similar sacrifice in 2002 when I joined the Army, but I didn't give up millions of dollars, instead I gave up many personal freedoms.

Pat Tillman should be an example set for Americans, but it shouldn't guarantee him entrance into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His play on the field doesn't warrant it even being discussed, he was an average player, but not great.

Comment

I am not saying he should be enshrined. At least they could have an area at beginning listing what he did along with some memorabilia.
                    Ummmm yes you did. The title of this thread the YOU Typed is Pat Tillman Should be in the HOF!

You even put ! at the end of it.

sigpic

Comment

No he should not.

His play on the field was not good enough and his career was no where near long enough.

Sure what he did is great in this day and age. But he is not the only player to have ever done that and to put him into the HOF solely because of that would be a shame on all the other players that gave up football in the past to fight in the other wars. Whether it was World War Two, Korea, or Vietnam.

He is not the only player to have walked away from football to serve his country in a time of war and that should be remembered before even contemplating puting him into the HOF merely because he gave up football to serve.
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                        No he should not.

His play on the field was not good enough and his career was no where near long enough.

Sure what he did is great in this day and age. But he is not the only player to have ever done that and to put him into the HOF solely because of that would be a shame on all the other players that gave up football in the past to fight in the other wars. Whether it was World War Two, Korea, or Vietnam.

He is not the only player to have walked away from football to serve his country in a time of war and that should be remembered before even contemplating puting him into the HOF merely because he gave up football to serve.
                        browns fans along with fat people dont have the right to form an opinion!

no i am just kidding

but for once
                        i think i agree with you.

Pat is a great guy but not a football hall of famer

Comment

Southstander,
                          Also you said "Ummmm yes you did. The title of this thread the YOU Typed is Pat Tillman Should be in the HOF! " If you read the whole post I wrote "I don't have a clue what they should call this Special Inductee but they need to get it done. Pat deserves to be remembered by all of us and the future NFL fans.

Now I should have been a little more clear in my post so that there would not be any misunderstandings. I am not saying that he should be inducted in like John Elway or any of the football greats. I think there is something special they could do for any of the men who did what Pat has done. Many of those people were drafted and thus had no choice.

I visited the Hall back in August and thought I would see something about him but did not. The Hall has all sorts of memorabilia from players that have not been enshrined.

I do respect yours and others opinions that is why I asked what do you guys think. After being in the thick of it, I have a true appreciation for Pat and what he did along with the countless others who have sacrificed the most precious gift of all, their life.

Comment

Southstander,
                            Also you said "Ummmm yes you did. The title of this thread the YOU Typed is Pat Tillman Should be in the HOF! " If you read the whole post I wrote "I don't have a clue what they should call this Special Inductee but they need to get it done. Pat deserves to be remembered by all of us and the future NFL fans.

Now I should have been a little more clear in my post so that there would not be any misunderstandings. I am not saying that he should be inducted in like John Elway or any of the football greats. I think there is something special they could do for any of the men who did what Pat has done. Many of those people were drafted and thus had no choice.

I visited the Hall back in August and thought I would see something about him but did not. The Hall has all sorts of memorabilia from players that have not been enshrined.

I do respect yours and others opinions that is why I asked what do you guys think. After being in the thick of it, I have a true appreciation for Pat and what he did along with the countless others who have sacrificed the most precious gift of all, their life.
                            Your ORIGINAL POST clearly states your opinion for Pat Tillman in the HOF. The title of the post CLEARLY states that you think he should be enshrined.

Sure, hang a poster in Canton. A bronze somethingorother.
                            But, HOF, as a player? Sorry, he was an average NFL player.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I think there is something special they could do for any of the men who did what Pat has done.
                              He'd be the only one. Money runs the minds of the players. No other player is going to do it and especially after seeing what happened to him.

He doesn't belong in it, no matter who brings it up or how many threads or petitions are made, he won't get in it. End of.
                              sigpic
                              Hate Brandon Marshall and his drops? READ THIS!
                              Super Bowl XXXII Run Statistics
                              My Divisional Breakdown Thread

Our Offensive Line = Mile Wide

Comment

Working...
                              X