Ben Roethlisberger - Gladiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Roethlisberger - Gladiator

Is there a more competitive QB than Ben Roethlisberger? Maybe so, and there are more talented QBs as well, but for my money this guy is true grit!!!

But Ben is a gladiator. He has been hurt most of the season, and keeps getting hit and hit, no thanks to a porous oline. And he did not have much of a running game to depend on for most of the season either. But after taking "too many" hits, he keeps getting up for more. He is the ultimate leader.

Sure he has a great defense to depend upon, but in the heat of battle he needs to put some points on the board, and he does. He throws going backwards, sideways and with guys all over him. He does not have great receivers either. I’d rate them as barely average. So, poor oline, lack of run game for most of the season, and ordinary receivers…… that leaves a whole lot of load on Ben’s shoulders. And as of this moment in the season, Ben has the biggest……...
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Is there a more competitive QB than Ben Roethlisberger? Maybe so, and there are more talented QBs as well, but for my money this guy is true grit!!!

But Ben is a gladiator. He has been hurt most of the season, and keeps getting hit and hit, no thanks to a porous oline. And he did not have much of a running game to depend on for most of the season either. But after taking "too many" hits, he keeps getting up for more. He is the ultimate leader.

Sure he has a great defense to depend upon, but in the heat of battle he needs to put some points on the board, and he does. He throws going backwards, sideways and with guys all over him. He does not have great receivers either. I’d rate them as barely average. So, poor oline, lack of run game for most of the season, and ordianry receivers…… that leaves a whole lot of load on Ben’s shoulders. And as of this moment in the season, Ben has the biggest……...
    I'll take Cutler over Roth any day of the week, twice on Sunday. That Pitt defense, you know, is kinda good.

Comment

Sure he has a great defense to depend upon, but in the heat of battle he needs to put some points on the board, and he does. He throws going backwards, sideways and with guys all over him. He does not have great receivers either. I’d rate them as barely average. So, poor oline, lack of run game for most of the season, and ordianry receivers…… that leaves a whole lot of load on Ben’s shoulders. And as of this moment in the season, Ben has the biggest……...
      I agree with you Can. I have never cared for the Steelers, but I can't help but respect Ben. With that said, I have to say GO CARDS I lived in Phoenix for a while when I was a kid, so I am rooting for them. Also, I tend to root for the team that hasn't won one before.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
        I agree with you Can. I have never cared for the Steelers, but I can't help but respect Ben. With that said, I have to say GO CARDS I lived in Phoenix for a while when I was a kid, so I am rooting for them. Also, I tend to root for the team that hasn't won one before.
        I respect your pick chaz......I do like Arizona, and it would be a great story if they won the SB. They have a real good chance.

I had to mention Ben, because the guy plays like he's one step away from the hospital....just keeps getting up. Early in the year I thought that the Steelers were doomed, after losing Faneca. They looked terrible! And even now, they are not very good at pass protection or run block. Of course the best medicine for the situation is an incredible defense. We need to see their doctor....

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
          I'll take Cutler over Roth any day of the week, twice on Sunday. That Pitt defense, you know, is kinda good.
          Hey Star....I was going to add that I am extremely happy to have Jay. But in my mind Ben has survival skills like few others. And not to take anything away from Jay, but we do have a much better oline and better receivers.

But this wasn't meant to be who's the best QB in the league, rather a statement about the fearless and gutsy play of Ben, who has taken far too many open shots all year.

Comment

I respect your pick chaz......I do like Arizona, and it would be a great story if they won the SB. They have a real good chance.

I had to mention Ben, because the guy plays like he's one step away from the hospital....just keeps getting up. Early in the year I thought that the Steelers were doomed, after losing Faneca. They looked terrible! And even now, they are not very good at pass protection or run block. Of course the best medicine for the situation is an incredible defense. We need to see their doctor....
            Another thing that may endear Ben to you Can, I heard him say that his favorite QB growing up was Elway.

Comment

No one was asking if you would take cutler over roth tho. Actually the comparison wasnt even in the Ops post. But yea me and some friends were talkin about this the other day, the guy is just a flat out warrior but I betcha his carrer ends up getting cut wayyyyy short due to too many injuries and concussions.
              sigpic
              Props to Charger$ for the sig

Comment

I want the cards to win, but think the Steelers will win.
                sigpic

Comment

Hey Star....I was going to add that I am extremely happy to have Jay. But in my mind Ben has survival skills like few others. And not to take anything away from Jay, but we do have a much better oline and better receivers.

But this wasn't meant to be who's the best QB in the league, rather a statement about the fearless and gutsy play of Ben, who has taken far too many open shots all year.
                  I totally agree with you. The guy is a player.

But, my key point wasnt Roth versus Cutler, it's the defense. You give Cutler anything resembling a defense and this team is going to the playoffs, winning games, and possibly multiple SB's.

It is disappointing in some ways that Roth is heading to the SB again and the Broncos with Jay Cutler sit at home. If the Broncos can get something out of the defense, and I hope the new HC will, then we'll see Denver routinely making the playoffs where anything can happen.

I think Roth is a very good player, but it's his defense that's been carrying him since he's been in the league and not the other way around.

Wheras I see Jay carrying this team for the next decade. With hopefully a defense that will make plays here and there. Imagine if McDaniels/Nolan can put together something resembling Pitt/Balt D.

Comment

sure the pitt defense is stud.. no doubt about it..

but give Roth the credit he deserves. he makes plays. He stands in the pocket and finds the wr... the guy WINS games. GIve Roth the credit he's earned with his play on the field

Comment

I think Roth is a very good player, but it's his defense that's been carrying him since he's been in the league and not the other way around.
                      Rothloesberger has more 4th quarter come from behind wins these last 2 years than any other QB in the league.

Also, he has more 4th quarter come from behind victories these last 2 years than any QB in the history of the NFl during a consecutive 2 years span.

Roth is a stud, and the dude flat out wins games. There isn't another QB in the NFL you want behind center when the game is on the line.

Comment

Sure he has a great defense to depend upon, but in the heat of battle he needs to put some points on the board, and he does. He throws going backwards, sideways and with guys all over him. He does not have great receivers either. I’d rate them as barely average. So, poor oline, lack of run game for most of the season, and ordinary receivers…… that leaves a whole lot of load on Ben’s shoulders. And as of this moment in the season, Ben has the biggest……...
                        He is Pittsburgh's version of John Elway. He's big, he's built, he's durable, and he's a freaking warrior. He also has a great supporting cast.

His stats may not be the greatest, but he wins big games, and has the 2nd most playoff victories (7) of any QB in his first 5 seasons, only behind Tom Brady (9).

it's a shame he was never on Denver's radar in 2004 . He can air it out, he can scramble, he can step up in the pocket, he can shake off a would be sacker. the dude is an all out baller.

I'd venture to say he'll be one of those rare franchise QB's for his entire career and stay with Pittsburgh until he retires.

Comment

big ben is a beast, but cutty is just as tough.... and probably an overall better quarterback.

case in point, if ben had the line we have, i don't think he could put up cutler numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by in.the.game View Post
                            big ben is a beast, but cutty is just as tough.... and probably an overall better quarterback.

case in point, if ben had the line we have, i don't think he could put up cutler numbers.
                            well uh Ben has won 7 playoff games.

Cutler has won ZERO.

Ben has a Super Bowl ring, working on #2.

Cutler has yet to even play in a playoff game.

Cutler he may be tough, but right now, he's not better than Big Ben...maybe his throwing fundamentals are, and his arm strength.

but Big Ben wins in all the categories that matter most and that's WINS.

Comment

Originally posted by agardonia View Post
                              well uh Ben has won 7 playoff games.

Cutler has won ZERO.

Ben has a Super Bowl ring, working on #2.

Cutler has yet to even play in a playoff game.

Cutler he may be tough, but right now, he's not better than Big Ben...maybe his throwing fundamentals are, and his arm strength.

but Big Ben wins in all the categories that matter most and that's WINS.
                              can't argue with that, but i was speaking in terms of talent.

i know ben is captain america. but at this point, i wouldn't trade jay

Comment

Working...
                              X