Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cribbs refuses to play under current contract

Cribbs not planning to play under current contract

Wide receiver/kick returner Joshua Cribbs doesn’t plan to play a game for the Browns under the terms of his current contract. But Cribbs, who has four years remaining on a six-year, $6.7 million contract, hopes a deal can be worked out by the start of the regular season, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Cribbs’ representatives are expected to meet with Browns coach Eric Mangini and general manager George Kokinis next week to discuss reworking the contract. What transpires at that meeting could dictate Cribbs’ next course of action. A holdout, trade demand or leaving training camp at some point are all possibilities, but reaching a compromise on a new contract before things get to those points are the goal, the source said.

Cribbs is one of the NFL’s top kick returners and a versatile offensive weapon who can play wide receiver or come out of the backfield. The Browns also have experimented with using Cribbs some at safety during offseason workouts.

Cribbs said that the Browns’ previous regime of GM Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel promised to re-do his contract, but they were fired. Mangini and Kokinis said they aren’t beholden to any commitments made by the prior administration.

LINK
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

I really hate when players act this way. If he would just play under the current contract and when it ends, sign a new contract. Or he could have simply avoided this issue if he would have signed an incentive laden contract. Once a players pen touched that paper he is under contract and he is obligated to fulfill it. I'd hate to see him leave because of this. Players need to understand that they need to fulfill their end of the contract.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Didn't you know?

There is nothing of an "honor code" in the NFL anymore.

Players SUCK at honoring contracts.

Comment

I might be a little more understanding if he were 5 years into the deal, but 2 years is not even halfway through.
        Long term deals should be banned. 3 year contracts maximum, the team has first rights to resign a player after 3 years but a match or better offer from another team could be accepted by the player if they wanted.
        "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
        Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Browns better hope he stays, he'll probably be a big weapon under Eric Mangini's offense...

And, to me it sounds like Josh Cribbs is being impatient and greedy.
          sigpic
          Props to Peerless^
          Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
          Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
          Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
          Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie View Post
            I might be a little more understanding if he were 5 years into the deal, but 2 years is not even halfway through.
            Long term deals should be banned. 3 year contracts maximum, the team has first rights to resign a player after 3 years but a match or better offer from another team could be accepted by the player if they wanted.
            I agree with this and I think it would improve the NFL. A 6 year deal is just too long. You never know how a player might progress or regress and it all happens so quickly, in the NFL more than any other sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Orton_Backer81 View Post
              I agree with this and I think it would improve the NFL. A 6 year deal is just too long. You never know how a player might progress or regress and it all happens so quickly, in the NFL more than any other sport.
              And players know that going in. He signed the 6 year deal at the time because that was in his best interests. He could have gotten a shorter one.

He signed. I expect him to live up to his obligations.

Comment

I loathe players that act this way. I understand the money thing, get your money. But when you sign a contract, you live up to that contract.

I think that there should be a penalty for actions like this. If a player decides not to live up to his contract, don't let him take a single snap in the NFL for 24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                  I loathe players that act this way. I understand the money thing, get your money. But when you sign a contract, you live up to that contract.

I think that there should be a penalty for actions like this. If a player decides not to live up to his contract, don't let him take a single snap in the NFL for 24 months.
                  Just to be Devil's advocate..... if the player signs a 6 year deal and is, let's say 2 years in, then get's cut, should there be ramifications to the team? I mean... after all... what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                    Just to be Devil's advocate..... if the player signs a 6 year deal and is, let's say 2 years in, then get's cut, should there be ramifications to the team? I mean... after all... what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?
                    There are. They're called "signing bonuses" and "guaranteed money."

That's the minimum they will make. Period. They are at liberty to negotiate that prior to signing the contract.

The argument that players have no leverage doesn't have credibility. They can stipulate the terms of their contract before they sign it.

They HAVE those things already.

What is good for the goose is indeed good for the gander. The NFL keeps its contracts. So should the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                      There are. They're called "signing bonuses" and "guaranteed money."

That's the minimum they will make. Period. They are at liberty to negotiate that prior to signing the contract.

The argument that players have no leverage doesn't have credibility. They can stipulate the terms of their contract before they sign it.

They HAVE those things already.

What is good for the goose is indeed good for the gander. The NFL keeps its contracts. So should the players.
                      Ah.... signing bounses and guranteed money were the last thing I thought of. Thank you for opening my eyes.

And for what it's worth... I did not disagree with the fact that if a player signs his name then he needs to man up and make and live out the contract. Lord knows that when I sign for my house and truck that I can't all of a sudden "hold out" on the payment(the players playing) and get make a better deal with out serious ramifications.
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Working...
                      X