Suggs Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggs Contract

Terrell Suggs is now the highest paid LB in league history.(Although it might be more appropriate to compare him to DEs)

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/nfl/14117

Sounds like a good deal of the contract money is right up front also and a large amount guaranteed. Its a franchise QB type contract. A lot of comparisions to Haynesworth contract, and the common agreement is that its better than Haynesworth.

Now there's no question Suggs is great, but gosh, when it sounded like he was going to be a FA I would've assumed at least a couple mill per year cheaper and a shorter contract and less money up front and etc....

I'm going to speculate that the Ravens feel that their window of opportunity is the next few years, while they still have Lewis and Reed and Suggs and Ngata and a better than expected offense and etc..... A superbowl or bust mentality is developing there, perhaps we'll even see some unusual splashy offseason moves from the Ravens.

Originally posted by omahaBroncoFan View Post
    Terrell Suggs is now the highest paid LB in league history.(Although it might be more appropriate to compare him to DEs)

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/nfl/14117

Sounds like a good deal of the contract money is right up front also and a large amount guaranteed. Its a franchise QB type contract. A lot of comparisions to Haynesworth contract, and the common agreement is that its better than Haynesworth.

Now there's no question Suggs is great, but gosh, when it sounded like he was going to be a FA I would've assumed at least a couple mill per year cheaper and a shorter contract and less money up front and etc....

I'm going to speculate that the Ravens feel that their window of opportunity is the next few years, while they still have Lewis and Reed and Suggs and Ngata and a better than expected offense and etc..... A superbowl or bust mentality is developing there, perhaps we'll even see some unusual splashy offseason moves from the Ravens.
    he's the highest paid, but not for long

wait till demarcus ware gets paid, holy crap
    sigpic

Comment

Oh he's worth every penny for them... I can't wait to see him terrorize Cleveland once again.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
        wait till demarcus ware gets paid, holy crap
        yeah this contract is definately going to raise the bar.

Comment

Why the hell are the contracts this ridiculous wth!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
            Its not that ridiculous. He's actually making 2 mil less per year than Jared Allen.

To be honest I think we're going to use Ayers a lot like the Ravens use Suggs. He lines up at end 40 percent of the time and he is really good at breaking up running plays in the backfield although he gets most of his attention as a pass rusher.
            A book I wrote

Comment

because contracts always go up, in every sport that's popular

look at kriby puckett

can you remember when he became the first 3 million dollar man in baseball ?

i can remember the outrage although it wasn't all over the net because well there was no internet like there is today and the economy wasn't as bad

check this out -

1989: Kirby Puckett (MIN) first to get $3 mill per

1990: Jose Conseco (OAK) first to crack $4 mill per (4.7M)

1991: Roger Clemens (Bos) first pitcher in the big contract era to lead the majors in salary and first to crack the $5 mill mark (5.38M)

1992: Ryan Sandberg (Cubs), said hell with the 6 million mark, he signed a contract that had him average a record 7.1 M (Barry Bonds landed a 7.29 M deal months after)

1996: Ken Griffey Jr. (Sea) cracks open the 8 million mark with an 8.5 M per deal after the M's have the breakthrough season in 1995 just before spring training.

1996: Albert Belle (White Sox) after the 96' season Belle landed the first 8 digit salary when he signed on for 11 M per.

1997: Greg Maddux (ATL) and Pedro Martinez (Bos) become the highest paid pitchers and players when Mad Dog got an 11.5M deal mid-year and Pedro signed a 12.5M after the season ended.

1998: Mike Piazza (Mets) cracks 13 M per.

1999: Kevin Brown (LAD) first to 15 M per season.

Current (2007): Alex Rodriguez (NYY) 27,708,525.

now imagine how huge the nfl has become, and how popular

players are going to get paid alot

there's many things fighting against lower salaries in the nfl much like the mlb

these things are

A. if every team decides to lower salaries and agrees, you get the players union crying about collusion

B. If every team tries lower salaries, one jackass will go against the grain and sign the stars (think al davis) thus driving up contracts

C. free agency, as fair as it is to players, let's face it, it has ruined the game in both mlb and the nfl, but again, blame unions for this

D. players unions, and the owners, why are unions needed? the answer is because, workers get treated unfailry at some point and unionize to get fairer work conditions, but once they get a taste they keep asking for more demands

people are basically greedy, on both sides
              sigpic

Comment

I already knew that I was just saying it out of frustration at how much these people make when the average working class is barely scraping by as it is already but that was really nicely explained JC

Comment

I already knew that I was just saying it out of frustration at how much these people make when the average working class is barely scraping by as it is already but that was really nicely explained JC
                  i channelled a little bob costas for that haha
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X