Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis to retire

LINK

CHICAGO -- Cleveland Browns running back Jamal Lewis plans to retire at the end of the season.

Lewis told reporters after the Browns' 30-6 loss Sunday at Chicago that his 10th season will be his final one, adding, "When I talk, I mean what I say and I think you all know that."

Lewis, who missed two games in late September and early October with a hamstring injury, ran for 69 yards on 16 carries against the Bears. That gave him 349 this year and 10,456 in his career, helping Baltimore win the Super Bowl as a rookie during his seven seasons with the Ravens.

He served prison time while with them in 2005 for using a cell phone to set up a drug buy five years earlier, and besides the off-the-field issues, there were questions about his durability and speed when he signed with Cleveland before the 2007 season.

Lewis answered those by running for 1,304 yards that year, his best since leading the NFL with 2,066 in '03. He followed that by going for 1,002 last season, the seventh time he reached the 1,000-yard mark, and with the lowly Browns at 1-7, his career appears to be coming to an end.

"It is very hard," he said. "Very. I think this is my last year. I think this is it. Honestly, the way it looks, you know, I had a good run."

Lewis acknowledged that finishing with the Browns stuck in a miserable season is not the easiest way to go out.

"But at the same time, I stuck my neck out and wanted to come in and help and do what I could do, even though I knew the consequences," he said. "I knew what we had and what was going to go with it, being that you do have new people coming in, new coaches, new staff, and all that -- there's a lot that comes with that."
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

It seems like the big running backs just don't hold up over the run of their career. I saw a spot on how Jerome Bettis could barely move around his house for days after a game. It will be interesting to see how someone like Adrian Peterson and violent running style will hold up.
    sigpic

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

Comment

He has grown a lot. He's stayed out of trouble while quietly becoming a stellar running back in this league. I'll miss seeing him on the field.

Comment

its sad that charlie browns favorite brown jamal lewis is about to retire.

Comment

He really turned his act around the last few years, I appreciate a mans growth and maturation. We need Brandon Marshall to hopefully go down that road

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
            its sad that charlie browns favorite brown jamal lewis is about to retire.
            Especially since I hated him from the beginning and still do not care for him.

He should be benched for Jerome Harrison anyway.

Comment

Look at the facts:
              Super Bowl ring

2000+ yard rusher

Pro Bowl

AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year
              The guy is 30 and I'm sure is financially secure. He has nothing more to prove.

Comment

Charlie Brown, do you want Cleveland do draft a RB next year?
                sigpic
                Props to Peerless^
                Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
                Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
                Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
                Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
                  Maybe they can draft a quarter back, and bench him for Derrick Anderson. That's a proven method.

Comment

Maybe the Browns should have traded Quinn for those two first rounders that the Vikings proposed to them back in 2008

OR maybe they should have traded Braylon Edwards for Ronnie Brown.

OR maybe they shouldnt have traded down to draft a Center

OR maybe they should have drafted Sanchez

OR maybe they Shouldnt have hired Mangini

Any of these suggestions would make my sundays more enjoyable. Cause Being in Ohio I Get to watch the Browns every week.

EDIT: I mean if they would have traded Quinn and Rodgers for cutler it be funner to watch. Even with Cutlers performance this year would have them better then 1-6.
                    Last edited by MorenoFan27; 11-01-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
                      That may be a smart move.

But, at the same time I really want Eric Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                        Look at the facts:

The guy is 30 and I'm sure is financially secure. He has nothing more to prove.
                        He's a POS.

Remember his stint in prison?

Also, I will never forget how he said "Art's a great guy."

Comment

Lewis was an absolute beast earlier in his career. RB's in general just lose their explosiveness as they get older, and Lewis definitely lost a step his last two years in Bmore and since then.

He's one of 5 backs to go over 2000 yards in a season which is quite an elite group, sorry to see him go.
                          A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                            He's a POS.

Remember his stint in prison?

Also, I will never forget how he said "Art's a great guy."
                            You care too much about character issues people have. He hasn't done anything since his punishment, which is the point of our legal system. So let it go. He has been an above average back for the majority of his career, good stats, one superb season, and one nice shiny ring.
                            Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                            Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

He is 30 years old and he plans to retire after this season?

This is quite amusing.
                              Go Peyton Manning!

Comment

Working...
                              X