Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bears new offensive coordinator is Mike Martz

@Adam_Schefter
    Good news for Jay Cutler: Bears new offensive coordinator is Mike Martz.

lol

Discuss.

Good coordinator if you like to throw the ball 50+ times a game.
    sigpic

Comment

I hope Jay's happy. They are building the whole team around him which could pay off big but has a great chance of busting so badly.. Sort of like their current season!

Comment

Former NFL head coach Mike Martz criticized Cutler for not taking more responsibility for the loss.

"He just doesn't get it," Martz said on the NFL Network. "He doesn't understand that he represents a great head coach and the rest of those players on that team. Somebody needs to talk to him."
        lol

Comment

Urlacher's probably starting to get really frustrated with this team. I know he was unhappy with the direction the team was going in. This is another step in that direction. If they don't start seeing immediate results I'd imagine that many of the older Bears players like Urlacher are going to want out of Chi-town.

Comment

Martz talked to the Chicago media already: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...ing-games.html

On the perception that he's not a great fit for the Bears because he likes to throw the ball:

"You know, (I'm) very pragmatic in the approach. And I think that you have to analyze your personnel, the circumstances and situation like Soldier Field, and look at what you have with the conditions and then proceed from there.

"Really, it's about winning games and just doing whatever it takes to take advantage of your strengths."

On his meeting with Jay Cutler on Saturday in Nashville, Tenn.:

"It was even better than I anticipated. There was an instant connection. You know, that happened to me and (former Lions quarterback) Jon Kitna the first time I met him.

"This was really interesting because we just were on the same page in so many things. In fact, I really got excited. We were in a little classroom down there at Vanderbilt, and we were just kind of talking football. And he asked about special plays. I put a play up that was designed specifically for the Tampa Cover-2. I told him this is how we put it in, ran it through, hit a touchdown on it. He asked a question about that play, a wide-receiver split, that kind of just stopped me dead in my tracks. It just showed that he's so far ahead and on top of this type of thing, that veteran quarterbacks generally don't even asked that.

"We had a real good dinner. Enjoyed each other's company. It was a good chance just to kind of get acquainted."

On how long it will take to get everything installed:

"We will be hitting on all cylinders on opening day, I can promise you that. There is character in this group; I know the kind of people that Lovie brings in. With the coaches that are in place already with Darryl (Drake), Tim (Spencer) and Mike (Tice), the challenges ahead are just getting them the information they need to do to really get all the little details coached on a regular basis and we'll be ready to go. They'll want to learn it, and that's the biggest part of all that, is the willingness to accept it to learn what you need and this is certainly that kind of group."

On how he might use the Bears' receivers:

"Well, they've got some speed. And that really is kind of a diamond to me. When you look at that group, it could be a real strength of this football team. With (Devin) Aromashodu -- I hope I pronounced it right. (Johnny) Knox is really a diamond to me. And Hester, with what he can do whether he's outside or in the slot. The matchups on these guys are extreme.

"When I went to St. Louis from Washington, Isaac Bruce was too skinny. They weren't too happy with him. He was always hurt. Had this little guy, Az Hakim, and they didn't know what they were going to do with him. Rick Proehl, slow white guy. This is three-quarters of the Greatest Show on Turf.

"And really, what we'll do with these guys, I think there's plenty of talent there. I'm really excited about their speed and the potential. And what we'll do is give them every opportunity to explore that and not make a definition on what any one of those guys can do, but let them prove to us and put no limits on them."

On running back Matt Forte:

"There's so many thing you can do with him. He has the same kind of multi-abilities as (former Rams star) Marshall (Faulk). Soft hands. Change of direction. Good route runner. He's a very unselfish pass-blocker, so he's willing to stick his nose in there. He's the complete package. And the formation to get him matched up inside on linebackers and, on occasion, safeties will be a good part of what we do."

On how quickly he will meet with Cutler:

"As soon as I get back and he gets up there; whenever that is, we'll start on a regular basis. We actually did talk about that, if this works out, and he was really enthusiastic about that, even just from the point of looking at tape and going into the bubble inside there and walking through things -- just he and I -- that when we get going in mini-camp that he has a full comprehension of everything that we want to do.''

On comments he made about Cutler's demeanor after the season-opening loss in Green Bay, and about working again with Rod Marinelli, for whom he served as offensive coordinator in Detroit:

"The thing I told Jay, the thing I felt bad when I watched that, was I felt like I knew what Jay was, I met him when he was coming out in the draft for quite some time up in Detroit. I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of who he was and the integrity and the dignity that he has and how classy a guy he is, and how he kind of misrepresented himself with that and really that was totally out of frustration for that game.

"He's going to be one of the elite players in this league for a long time and those are things that he's just going to have to deal with. That was a very difficult situation for him, very difficult, but a great experience for him to go through it and know now you've just got to kind of take that deep breath before you go in there. As a former head coach, you go through those things and collect yourself a little bit and then go in there. I didn't think it demonstrated who he really was ... those are all learning experiences for all of us.

"In terms of Rod, it was interesting because somebody had mentioned that to me a few days ago that there might be some sort of issue. Let me tell you guys this now: I went to Detroit after I met Rod Marinelli, that's the only reason I went to Detroit. When I left Detroit, it had nothing to do with Rod, there were other factors involved there, but nothing associated with Rod or disharmony. I had a real good visit with him when I was back there; I spent the morning with him, had breakfast and laughed about some things. He and Lovie have been good friends and there's just no issue there, it just doesn't exist."

Comment

As long as Martz and Cutler are on the same page.......this offense will click.

Comment

That's actually probably a perfect marriage for the two of those guys.

Their offense will be exciting, no doubt about that. We'll see how effective it is though.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                  That's actually probably a perfect marriage for the two of those guys.

Their offense will be exciting, no doubt about that. We'll see how effective it is though.
                  Well, they'll need some weapons, too...

But yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                    Well, they'll need some weapons, too...

But yeah.
                    We will have to see how things shake out in both the draft, and probably more importantly, Free Agency.

While we have no first day selections, this draft is very deep.
                    sigpic

Comment

Saw this in the Trib. Martz likes one of Denver's position coaches.

Martz, who lauded the work of wide receivers coach Darryl Drake and running backs coach Tim Spencer, will be involved with the hiring of the remainder of the offensive staff. The word in the coaching community is he would like to hire Adam Gase as quarterbacks coach. Gase coaches wide receivers in Denver and worked for Martz in San Francisco and Detroit. It's unknown if the Broncos would allow him to leave. The Bears already interviewed Mike DeBord for the tight ends position.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
                        Saw this in the Trib. Martz likes one of Denver's position coaches.

Martz, who lauded the work of wide receivers coach Darryl Drake and running backs coach Tim Spencer, will be involved with the hiring of the remainder of the offensive staff. The word in the coaching community is he would like to hire Adam Gase as quarterbacks coach. Gase coaches wide receivers in Denver and worked for Martz in San Francisco and Detroit. It's unknown if the Broncos would allow him to leave. The Bears already interviewed Mike DeBord for the tight ends position.
                        They already let Nolan walk, why not Gase?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ursamajor View Post
                          They already let Nolan walk, why not Gase?
                          Good point.

He's a good coach. McDaniels hires a lot of those
                          sigpic
                          Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                          -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                            I hope Jay's happy.
                            I hope that too Cutler could turn into one great QB under Martz' s leadership of Bears' offense. They could look better next season!
                            sigpic

Comment

cutler should do well in martz' offense.. his numbers will increase.. that includes INTS..

Comment

Working...
                              X