No announcement yet.

Bears new offensive coordinator is Mike Martz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means nothing without talent, Martz isnt going to pass block for Jay or catch a ball in the endzone.

Bears need more talent on both sides of the ball, should be interesting though.

Comment

Mike Martz was on Mully & Hanley (Chicago Radio Show) yesterday. You can listen to the interview here , but here's a transcript of some of the football related stuff I liked.

Mully & Hanley: [On Jay Cutler's skill set, and if it gets him firing on all synopsis.]

Mike Martz: It does, and he could take us in some areas at that position that we've not been before. Just because of his athleticism and his ability to throw the ball on the move. The only thing that I would caution everybody about. This is what Denver did on offense. When he was there they were big play action, and get the quarterback out like they did with Elway. So this is a very big part of what they do.

What I told Jay was, because he's excited about doing those things and that's great, he's really good at it. You can't put a fence around Jay and say, 'This is what he is,'. He's just too good of a player. There's nothing that this guy can't accomplish at a high level in the passing game. And what we're trying to do is broaden his horizon with that and come in and learn the five-step and the hot reads and really expand his knowledge of these things. Because he'll excel at whatever he puts his mind to doing.

Mully & Hanley: Mike, how does he compare with Kurt Warner from a talent stand point, from an intangibles stand point. Are they similar, dissimilar?

Mike Martz: It's a bit of an unfair question because Kurt has established himself in this league, and played at such a high level. Certainly Jay has got all the ability to do those kinds of things. I don't know if I've ever been around anyone with this kind of skill or just innate ability to throw the football. He's got Kurt's accuracy with a stronger arm. His mobility is just unusual. What Kurt has that I see in Jay, which is really unusual, is the ability to make terrific throws under duress. With guys coming at you, and in the grasp, and going down, and just putting the ball on target where you need to put it, and put it on rhythm.

But more importantly his ability, his unique ability rather, to see things down the field and react to them very quickly. What he sees is above average. It's way up above what normally really good quarterbacks see. And how well they digest that information, it's really remarkable. Kurt is the best I've ever seen at that. There might not ever be anybody like Kurt. But Jay has that kind of ability to see things, have the perception of when to get rid of that ball. We've just got to get these guys on the same page, and this could get really good.

Mully & Hanley: Mike there's been a lot of talk in town here, over the past year, about Devin Hester. Who is kind of making the transition still from a return man to a receiver. I assume he's going to continue to make that transition. Because he made some comments last week that indicated he might be happier as a return man. What do you see in him as a receiver, and how does he fit in this scheme in particular?

Mike Martz: We're going to use him like we used Az-Zahir Hakim. Az was a really good player for us. But Devin Hester in that role could just be stupid good, if that makes sense to you. What we could do with him inside, the matchups that we can get with him on third corners, on safeties and linebackers, and some of the defensive schemes would be absolutely remarkable.

I think it would be hard for us, and we haven't talked personnel yet. So I'm kind of out of line with this. But it would be very difficult for him to take every snap at wide receiver and play at a high level on special teams. So, we have to look at that I think. These are things we need to talk about. The role that I have in mind for him would allow him to do both and do both at a high level.

Comment

Martz provides insight into his offense, Bears players

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – New Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz discussed a variety of topics with ChicagoBears.com senior writer Larry Mayer Tuesday at Halas Hall.

LM: What are the first steps you’re taking to familiarize yourself with your new players?

MM: I’m watching all the games from this past season on tape. I go through all the games and then go back and do some cut-up work to familiarize myself with what the players are physically and where they are in their development, especially some of the young guys so I can have a better feel for where they are when we start.

LM: What’s the very first thing you have to do when installing a new offense?

MM: It starts with the basics: where we stand in the huddle, how you break out of the huddle and the cadence. It begins with the very basics of Pop Warner football and then progresses from there. You kind of force-feed them. We go at a quick pace. They’re expected to learn a lot soon and they’ll get used to that because that’s what we’ll do during the season.

LM: You often hear players say that learning a new offense is like learning a new language and that it doesn’t happen overnight. How confident are you that they will know your system as well as they need to by the start of the season?

MM: They’ll learn it by the time we open up. They’ll be comfortable with it and they’ll be excited about it. During the process there are always some guys—especially older veterans who have been in another system—that struggle with it a little bit. But it’s such an easy system and it has so much flexibility that once they stop fighting it and learn it, it becomes a lot easier for them and makes a lot more sense.

LM: What are some key characteristics of your offense?

MM: The biggest thing is that it’s a three-digit system in the passing game. Three receivers get numbers, so if you’re a receiver and you know what all those numbers mean, that’s all you’ve got to do. Everybody’s told exactly what to do on every play. All you’ve got to know is what a five-route is, what a swing route is. When you start to mix and match the numbers with the tags, the combinations are endless.

LM: What are your initial impressions of Jay Cutler?

MM: I think from a physical standpoint no one would ever argue that this guy’s got very unusual skill sets. I think what some people don’t realize is how committed he is to winning, and how important it is to him. He’s a perfectionist, and the elite players in the league are like that. If they’re not at the level they think they should be, they’re not happy. That’s one of the reasons why they’re elite players. I was very impressed when I met him. We had an instant connection. It just really felt like this is somebody who I can really connect with and get excited about what we’re going to do on offense.

LM: What do you see in Matt Forte?

MM: Matt’s a complete back. So many backs have little limitations here and there. Maybe they’re not quite a good route runner or in the running game they’re [better suited for] a gap scheme. But Matt can do all those things. He’s a complete back much like Marshall [Faulk] was and so many backs in the league are now. We won’t go into things thinking, “We’ve got to shy away from this because this isn’t a strength of his.” That’s not the case with Matt at all.

LM: There’s been a lot of talk about how Lovie Smith wants to emphasize the running game while your offense is more pass-oriented. How would you describe what the offense will be this season?

MM: It’s pragmatic. From week to week we’ll morph into whatever it takes to win. Some weeks we’ll run the ball a lot more than we did the previous week. Our personnel will take us in certain directions. The NFL’s all about personnel match-ups. If we have a dominant match-up in the running game, then that’s what we’ll try to emphasize. If we have a receiver match-up we really like, that guy’s going to get a lot of balls that week. You don’t know what you are as an offense because you’re going to have to change every week. If you’re not flexible and if you can’t move in and out of some of that stuff, you’re going to have a hard time.

LM: What role do you envision Devin Hester filling on offense?

MM: I think he’s still the best special teams return guy in the league, period. We have to be careful about how much we ask him to do on offense. That’s really a reason the Bears have won some games is because of Devin and what he does in the return game. So we’ll be very judicious in what we ask him to do offensively. But he’ll be very involved and we’ll ask him to do some really dynamic things where we can get him isolated in [favorable] personnel match-ups.

LM: I heard you say in a radio interview that Hester will line up more as an inside slot guy like Az-Zahir Hakim did for you with the St. Louis Rams. Is that true?

MM: He’ll be outside occasionally too. But if you put him in as a third receiver and move him around inside, who’s going to match up with him, either their third corner or a safety or a nickel back? That’s what we look for. To line him up outside and leave him outside on a good corner, he’ll win out there and do well. But to me the craziness of it would be to put him inside and if they stay in a zone or leave a linebacker on him, my goodness, we can’t get him the ball fast enough.

LM: Many outsiders felt that the Bears wide receivers would be a weakness in 2009. But they surpassed most expectations and performed well. What’s your impression of the group?

MM: When you look at what these guys are on tape and what they can be, it’s absolutely worth getting excited about. They will be a major reason why we win games here. This is just a dynamic group with tons of potential. I’m really anxious to see these guys together and start to learn the system. With the speed they have and the run-after-the-catch abilities, it’s just pretty incredible.

LM: Tight ends haven’t traditionally caught a lot of passes in your offense, and Greg Olsen is known more as a receiver than a blocker. What type of contributions do you envision him making?

MM: With any tight end in any offense, when you first start looking and say that he’s a receiver and not a blocker, there’s going to be an issue. Even when you ask Tony Gonzalez, he’ll say he’s first a blocker. Otherwise, you would play with a receiver. The good ones are good at both of those things, and Greg affords us the ability to get the best of both and be a complete player at that position. If we can get him to the same level both in the running game and the passing game, then you’ve got potentially the best tight end in the league.

LM: What are your impressions of the Bears offensive line?

MM: Chris Williams at left tackle is worth getting excited about. [New line coach] Mike [Tice] will do a terrific job with him over there getting him settled. The rest of the group is going to fall into place. We’ve got the best guy in the world working with them. I have complete confidence in that; that the quarterback will be protected and we’ll run the ball very effectively. This line is potentially a better group than I’ve had in many years. For us it all starts in the offensive line. That’s the center of the universe in football for any team. It keeps the defense off the field and allows you to do what you want on offense.

Comment

I don't know if anyone over here will care about either of those interview, but I thought some of what he said is very interesting. When mentioning the O-line he only singles out Chris Williams as someone to get excited about. Makes me wonder what he thinks of Olin Kreutz who most people would consider the best player on that o-line. He doesn't like how Cutler was used in Denver, but knows Jay liked it. Olsen doesn't fit the mold of what he wants (whether he knows that yet or not), and Hester is going to get a chance to be a full time returner.

Comment

Working...
          X