Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Top 5 'Quiters' in the NFL.

Originally posted by hendrixisgod
    No, the epitomy of selfishness is wanting someone to do something that they don't want to do anymore just for your enjoyment...

Ricky made his choice, bad timing, but it's his choice! Barry didn't want to waste away in the wasteland that was Detroit, again, his choice! Ali is a man, not a quitter! if you want to talk about getting out of the draft to save your own ass, you might want to take a look at our President as well as the rest of his administration! Injuries end careers, it's all part of the game, it doesn't make you a quitter to put the quality of the rest of your life above a sport...

no you didn't make a comparison between ALI's refusing to join a war he didn't believe in and Ricky choosing pot over a NFL career.

just because they have choices doesn't mean they make good ones. It's not like Ali joined the military and then chose to leave. he sacrificed the belt. that's a individual accomplishment. nobody achieved that but himself.
    rickey knew that he was a very imprtant part of his team and didn't have the decency to leave earlier in the year so they might draft or sign another RB. how many guys are out thier dying to make the NFl in this country and he abandons his team for weed.

that's like if Ali had joined the military and was in the jungles of nam with his fellow soldiers and just upped and left his boys thier because he wanted to smoke some weed.

wake up man. we all make choices, some are hard and some are easy. And for every choice one makes you have to take responsibilty for it. It's not like he walked in front of a mic during a press conference like Ali did and told the world he wouldn't get drafted. he went to some beach in austraila or where he went and had some reporter tell his story. doesn't seem like he was very proud of making that choice or he would have faced the press.
    Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynch Bailey247
      christopher reeves
      I still can't believe you said that. That is just wrong.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 5 'Quiters' in the NFL.

Originally posted by bklynbronco
        no you didn't make a comparison between ALI's refusing to join a war he didn't believe in and Ricky choosing pot over a NFL career.

just because they have choices doesn't mean they make good ones. It's not like Ali joined the military and then chose to leave. he sacrificed the belt. that's a individual accomplishment. nobody achieved that but himself.
        rickey knew that he was a very imprtant part of his team and didn't have the decency to leave earlier in the year so they might draft or sign another RB. how many guys are out thier dying to make the NFl in this country and he abandons his team for weed.

that's like if Ali had joined the military and was in the jungles of nam with his fellow soldiers and just upped and left his boys thier because he wanted to smoke some weed.

wake up man. we all make choices, some are hard and some are easy. And for every choice one makes you have to take responsibilty for it. It's not like he walked in front of a mic during a press conference like Ali did and told the world he wouldn't get drafted. he went to some beach in austraila or where he went and had some reporter tell his story. doesn't seem like he was very proud of making that choice or he would have faced the press.
        I wasn't comparing Ali to Ricky Williams, someone said Ali quit on his country, I was simply saying that Ali is not a quitter! Ricky Williams as I stated before made a bad choice in TIMING and timing alone! Who are you or anyone else to say what he should and shouldn't do with HIS life? Say Williams retired a couple of months before he did and did give the Dolphins a chance to draft or sign a free agent RB, people would still call him a quitter... What's good for you or me or anyone else might not be right for him... who are you or anyone else to judge him? He wanted to smoke weed, BFD, he has to live with his choices, not you! DEAL WITH IT!
        Last edited by hendrixisgod; 09-29-2004, 12:41 PM.

Comment

What

Eddy Mac and Michael Irvin quitters?! You might as well call Brian Piccolo a quitter.
          Lottery numbers are: 7, 27, 30, 53, 77, 84

Comment

Re: What

Originally posted by Beersy
            Eddy Mac and Michael Irvin quitters?! You might as well call Brian Piccolo a quitter.
            the whole idea here is nonsense. he might as well have called mobley or TD or tillman quitters.

if you retire in the offseason, that is a completely fair decision. if a businessman retires at 50 is he a quitter for not working untill he was 70? of course not. neither is a football player who retires in their 30's or even 20's. since williams retired in the offseason, i wouldn't even call him a quitter, although he definately should have timed things better. the only people who i think deserve such a label are those who stop part way through the season (and don't ahve a good reason like injury or even family issues).
            sigpic
            go broncos
            share the sidewalk
            liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              He was one of the great ones, Myoung, but the way he quit his football team is unforgiveable.. IMO. He let the team believe he was coming back the ENTIRE offseason and training camps. He never came to the offseason workouts, so nothing was unusual. The team could have looked to sign or draft another running back, but the way HE quit on them was a HUGE blackmark on his character.

He was great to watch on the field...but that doesn't give him a free pass for quitting on his team like he did. No way. (he only went to the playoffs once). I don't care how much a team is LEANING on you. Did John Elway quit when the team was leaning on him for years? DId Dan Marion quit when he didn't have a running game forever? Did Fran Tarkenton quit? I don't care if you play for the Lions or for the Broncos. If your team is RELYING on you, you can not just QUIT on them without giving them the proper respect to accomodate for that. Barry didn't. Williams didn't. There have been a lot of great players stuck on teams that didn't have a lot of support for them. There have been great WRs that didn't have good QBs. There have been great RBs that didn't have offensive lines. Doesn't make Barry exempt because he played in Detroit. No way, no how.

How about the Heisman trophy winner from a couple years back..the QB from Nebraska... whats his face? He quit because they woudln't let him be a QB in the pros...twice.

I think players like Eddie Kennison lead My list. This guy had the chance to be the #1 WR on a team (his 5th team) because of injuries.. a chance to stand up and be THE man to help.. and he QUITS the night before the game!! Thats the ULTIMATE in quitter!!

Williams is obviously at the top of the list along with Sanders.

How about the Baltimore Colts...quitting on their fans and just packing up and MOVING away in the middle of the night without even telling anyone they were going?
              Then why not put Shannon on the list for what he did this year? IMO Sanders is way different than Williams because he gave the team so much. Williams didn't provide much in the long run for the Dolphins. IMO Sharpe gave us enough over the years that his exodus and the manner in which he executed it gets a free pass. I feel the same about Barry.

but that is why we all have opinions.

Comment

I don't think Shannon left the same way at all. Was different. He wasn't the FOCAL point of the offense like WIlliams and Sanders was. We all know the communication between SHannon and Mike was a LOT LOT better than the communication between Sanders and anyone in the Detroit organization before he announced his retirement. Same with Williams. I don't think the past changes the outcome or the TIMING of them QUITTING on their team. It may make it easier to forgive, but doesn't take away the way they left their team high-n-dry. If Sanders or Williams retired earlier in the offseason, then neither one could be considered a "quitter"..but someone that chose to retire. IT was the timing that hurt their reputations.

Comment

I don't think Shannon left the same way at all. Was different. He wasn't the FOCAL point of the offense like WIlliams and Sanders was. We all know the communication between SHannon and Mike was a LOT LOT better than the communication between Sanders and anyone in the Detroit organization before he announced his retirement. Same with Williams. I don't think the past changes the outcome or the TIMING of them QUITTING on their team. It may make it easier to forgive, but doesn't take away the way they left their team high-n-dry. If Sanders or Williams retired earlier in the offseason, then neither one could be considered a "quitter"..but someone that chose to retire. IT was the timing that hurt their reputations.
                  We (I guess "I" would be more accurate) don't know alot about the communication. But I would say that him saying he may or may not come back created problems for the team. then to announce he is coming back and leave for a TV contract. Could it be more selfish? Hey I love Shannon so don't interpret this the wrong way because I don't have bad feelings about the way he left. I am very grateful he gave us the years he did. I think we would have been even more successful had we not lost him to the Ravens when we did. The timing of the Sharpe thing had more to do with individual pub than it had to do with the interest of the team. Knowing Sharpe how can you even doubt that? He wanted to wait until NFL news was peaking again. He wanted some drama.

Shannon went out his way. barry never talked much to the team and he went out his way. I am not saying I wasn't disappointed but he did alot for them and to me it doesn't hurt his rep. I don't think he was ever treated well by that org.

by the way the Lions won there division in 91 and 93. They went to the Wild Card in 95,95,97. So he went to the playoffs more than once.

Comment

How about the Baltimore Colts...quitting on their fans and just packing up and MOVING away in the middle of the night without even telling anyone they were going?
                    How about John Elway quitting on the Colts as well?

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Re: Top 5 'Quiters' in the NFL.

Originally posted by DBfan4lyfe
                      5. Barry Sanders- They say his coach misunderstood what he was saying, but if he really wanted to play that bad he would of straitend it up.

4. Ed McCaffry- Bash me for saying this but I think he could of played another year. Either way, he did a great job with his career.

3. Michael Irvin- The guy played what 10 years in the NFL? He is a true quitter

2. Bruce Smith- Yes, he holds the all-time sack record and he is a tremendous player. But he played 13 years I believe in the NFL, he could of held it out till about 16 years, IMO.

1. Ricky Williams- Do I need to explain? He has no love for the game, period.

Now it's your turn!

And let me guess, you support Jerry Rice ruining his great reputation by plaing yet another year. He could have ended his carrier with almost every receving record and his most games with a catch streak should NEVER been broken.
                      Eagles own u

Comment

ryan leaf.

Comment

I was totally shocked to see Barry Sanders on your list. After reading the other names I thought you were joking until I saw Ricky Williams, and then I realized you were serious, and my response to that is this:

ARE YOU ON CRACK!????!!?!

I won't even go into the #'s 4-2, and I will state up front that I agree with your #1, but Barry wasn't a quitter. Despite what people think about the Walter Payton record and his respect for WP, he didn't retire so that he wouldn't break it. Why, when he could care less about records his whole life(his previous actions speak volumes: hs, college, and NFL), would he care about breaking or not breaking that record? Have you read his autobiography? Maybe you should. But if you can't get it let me give you the jist of it. Football is a violent game, especially in the NFL. Rarely does a player retire when he wants to. Usually he retires when he can't get a job anymore due to lack of production, and the reason that player cannot produce anymore, ninety percent of the time, is due to injury. Barry Sanders witnessed two teammates become paralyzed playing this game that we all love so much. And, speaking of love, why do the players, the great players, play this game? Because they love it. And the ultimate goal in football is to win, and in the NFL, it is to win it all, meaning the Super Bowl. Now, generally speaking, everyone in their team organization, is out to help their team win that ever elusive Super Bowl. It is everyone's goal. If the team isn't succeeding at this, the fan base will not pay money to watch them play and the owners won't make their millions. However, the GM and President of the Lions' organization while Barry was playing, was making plenty of money, because people would pay to watch him play, even if it was on a 4-12 team or a 5-11 team. It seemed like every year was a rebuilding year for Detriot, and the organization kept getting rid of All-Pro players and replacing them with younger players. Barry didn't see the point in risking his neck(literally), playing by far the most violent position of all the skill players on offense, for an organization who wasn't committed to reaching the Super Bowl. They weren't going to trade him to another team because he was their bank. Detriot fans today, can basically thank Barry Sanders that Detriot is now trying to win. Good young players, Good coaches, and everyone is focused on improving. People who say that Barry was a quitter, need to step back and recognize.
                          Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                          Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                          Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Working...
                          X