Leinart got cut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leinart got cut!

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have released quarterback Matt Leinart, ending a rocky stint with the team that began with fanfare as he was drafted 10th overall in 2006 and ended this preseason with the former USC star taking a backseat to Derek Anderson.

The team announced the decision to release the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Saturday.

Leinart played in 29 games with 17 starts for Arizona, and threw for 3,893 yards with 14 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

Leinart came into this season looking to finally prove himself and show his teammates he was ready to handle all the responsibilities of starting as quarterback.

Leinart started the first two preseason games but was mostly unimpressive.

The Cardinals started Anderson the next two games as rumors swirled about Leinart's future with the team and he complained to reporters about being left out of the loop.

Leinart's initial stint as Arizona's starter in 2007 didn't go so well, either.

Leinart was coming off a decent rookie season in which he threw for more than 2,500 yards and 11 touchdowns after replacing Kurt Warner in Week 5.

That gave Leinart the edge over the veteran the next training camp and the left-hander opened as starter. He lasted five games, sharing time with Warner while throwing four interceptions and two touchdowns with a quarterback rating of 61.9 before a broken collarbone ended his season.

Leinart spent the past two seasons as an understudy to Warner, who led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008 and another division title last season before retiring.

stupid...

Not suprised at all, guess their main focus will be how soon they can get Skelton on the field. I'm not convinced Anderson is the answer down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
      Not suprised at all, guess their main focus will be how soon they can get Skelton on the field. I'm not convinced Anderson is the answer down there.
      Actually, Sheff and others are reporting it's all about Hall. The Cardinals are really high on Hall, their other QB pick.

Really odd coincidence they would take the sleeper Skelton and then Hall comes out and wows them.

Comment

I say we bring him in.

Didn't he have a good college career or something?

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
          I say we bring him in.

USC quarterbacks never work out in the pros.
          HEAR ME ROAR!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
            Actually, Sheff and others are reporting it's all about Hall. The Cardinals are really high on Hall, their other QB pick.

Really odd coincidence they would take the sleeper Skelton and then Hall comes out and wows them.
            I liked Skelton and before I found Tim Tebow I supported the Broncos drafting him in 09. I haven't seen much of his play in preseason. Has he been a real sleeper?
            sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
              I liked Skelton and before I found Tim Tebow I supported the Broncos drafting him in 09. I haven't seen much of his play in preseason. Has he been a real sleeper?
              By "sleeper" I just meant that going into the draft, a lot of people were like you -- they were saying watch out for this Skelton guy, he's going to be a steal in the draft. "Sleeper" in the sense that he wasn't one of those first four that everybody talked about, but had a lot of fans out there.

An odd coincidence that the team that takes him ends up loving Hall. Skelton wasn't anything bad. No reflection on him.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                I say we bring him in.

if you take away those few years... the heisman.... he didn't have a good college career.

but yeah, idk how they couldn't pull off a trade... if i were a raider, i'd take him in a heartbeat... or chiefs...

Comment

Cards Cut Leinart

Yeah, I made the thread just to post my pic

Comment

thank god it was just a pic i was afraid you were going to suggest we go sign him
                    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Did you even look at the front page? There are two other threads on this already right on the front page.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                        thank god it was just a pic i was afraid you were going to suggest we go sign him
                        Just me posting it in the wrong section like an idiot.

I can only think of Seattle who'd take interest at this stage.

Comment

Comment

He's had 5 years and one of the best QBs ever to learn from. I can't help but think this is all on Leinart as a person.

I mean they're not trading him. They're just flat out cutting him. That tells me it's not "he doesn't fit into our system" but more it's, "He's flat out terrible and no one will give us anything for him."

For him to be traded I could understand, but cut? That's got to be a result of him just not being willing to work for it.

Comment

I think it's more that Arizona lost faith in him and decided to ditch him. He can certainly help out another team with more of a pressing QB situation. I hope it works out well for him. But, I do trust Ken Whisenhunt!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X